Projector advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The good news is I'm building a new movie room in my basement, The bad news...I have no clue where to begin. I will post my construction questions in the appropriate area. My room will be 23' deep by 15' wide with no windows. As I said, I don't really know where to begin but I'm thinking I need to decide on a projector so I can figure out where to run wiring. That's where I need help. I don't really know how wide of a screen I want as I've never really been in a home theater before. Im can only assume there must be a comfortable viewing width depending on room depth. I guess I was thinking around an 8' wide screen give or take. I'm looking to spend around $2000 on a projector that will fit my room layout and screen size. I've read some other posts and I have learned that lighting is huge, but being in a basement with no windows I have complete control over lighting. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
First lay out your room and decide on seating distance from screen. This is what determines your screen size. For an 8' wide screen(110" diagonal) the seating distance would be about 12' from screen. The rule of thumb is "Screen width X 1.5 = seating distance". Most people want the projector, when ceiling mounted, above or behind their head, when seated. Once you decide on screen and throw distance(lens to screen) we can make some projector suggestions.

1) Do you want DLP or LCD?

2) How tall is your ceiling?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

First lay out your room and decide on seating distance from screen. This is what determines your screen size. For an 8' wide screen(110" diagonal) the seating distance would be about 12' from screen. The rule of thumb is "Screen width X 1.5 = seating distance". Most people want the projector, when ceiling mounted, above or behind their head, when seated. Once you decide on screen and throw distance(lens to screen) we can make some projector suggestions.

1) Do you want DLP or LCD?

2) How tall is your ceiling?

12' from screen would be right where I was planning on the seating to be, so the 110" should work out well. The throw distance could really be anywhere but I like the idea of it being behind the seating if possible so let's say 16'-18'.

I don't know if I want DLP OR LCD. I did a little research on the two and I guess LCD would fit my budget better.

My ceiling is 90"

Thank you for your help.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Below are 3 nice LCD projectors that will work for you. BUT I suggest you shorten the throw distance to about 14' for a brighter image. The further the projector is from screen, the dimmer the image.

1) Epson 8350 - lens shift for easier installation

2) Panasonic AR100U - lens shift for easier installation

3) Epson 3020 - NO lens shift. This means that when ceiling mounted, the lens needs to be level with top of image.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Below are 3 nice LCD projectors that will work for you. BUT I suggest you shorten the throw distance to about 14' for a brighter image. The further the projector is from screen, the dimmer the image.

1) Epson 8350 - lens shift for easier installation

2) Panasonic AR100U - lens shift for easier installation

3) Epson 3020 - NO lens shift. This means that when ceiling mounted, the lens needs to be level with top of image.

Thank you very much for your help. Am I able to box around the projector with drywall? I have seen many pictures on here of projectors boxed in but I've also read online that they need lots of air and that no projector should be boxed in.
Also looking at the 3 you recommended I see they are all well within my $2000 budget, is there any one of the three you would recommend over the rest? Would spending a little more money be beneficial or would I just be getting a similar projector for more $$$? And lastly, you asked about DLP vs LCD, which would you recommend? I saw a DLP Mitsubishi HC7800D that had good reviews. I'm sorry for being so ignorant on this topic.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

There's no need to box around the projector with drywall. Most of the projectors now are very quiet in low power mode.

The next worthy LCD upgrade would be the Epson 5020, Panasonic 8000. I've never seen any of those 3, so I don't know which looks best. You need to decide based on reviews, price, features and warranty.

I'm a DLP guy, so I that's what I would buy. 2 nice DLP's under $2,000 are the Optoma HD33 and Acer 9500.

The Mits. 7800 is a very nice projector, but it's more than $2,000.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefrude1 View Post

Thank you very much for your help. Am I able to box around the projector with drywall? I have seen many pictures on here of projectors boxed in but I've also read online that they need lots of air and that no projector should be boxed in.
Also looking at the 3 you recommended I see they are all well within my $2000 budget, is there any one of the three you would recommend over the rest? Would spending a little more money be beneficial or would I just be getting a similar projector for more $$$? And lastly, you asked about DLP vs LCD, which would you recommend? I saw a DLP Mitsubishi HC7800D that had good reviews. I'm sorry for being so ignorant on this topic.

DLP tech causes some people to see RBE, (rainbows) http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/HomeTheaterProjector-FAQs/ProjectorsRainbowEffect.php but can be a little more sharper looking than lcd. DLP vs LCD shouldn't be a "budget" decision as their comparable. I would suggest the 3020 if you want 3d/lcd or the Benq 1070 for a dlp/3d. The Epson 8350 is a nice pj, with no 3d and more versatile in where you can place it with the "lens shift" capability. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks has a good roundup of pj's available, and see the calculator link in his signature for a good calc to get an idea of screen size/gain and brightness. Last years, Epson 5010 lcd/3d is in your price range as well, and worth a look, similar to the Epson 3020, with "lens shift". http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5010/summary.php
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page