Picking Projector/Screen Please Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently finishing up the painting on my media room and my wife gets her bonus on the 1st biggrin.gif so I am trying to pick out a projector and screen for the room. The room is 17'6" long and 11' wide, the walls are painted matte black, and the lone window has been blacked out, so complete dark is 100% achievable. The room will be used primarily for movies and gaming (mostly FPS so latency is a concern). 3d is not important to me, I would rather spend my money on the best 2d picture I can get. My throw distance should be about 14'6" and my primary seating is flexible, but probably at least 10' so I have room for the Kinect to do its thing. my budget for projector AND screen needs to be at or below 2500 but obviously if i can save some money without sacrificing much, that is great.

So the things that could impact selection:
- Center Speaker is currently ceiling mounted at what would be in front of the screen but it should only hang down 6" or so
- Kinect apparently needs to be about 2' off the ground to function correctly
- Combined I think this makes my max space for screen 11' wide by 5'6" high which if I am looking at it correctly means about 135" screen
- I have no idea how sensitive I am to Rainbow effect, but I had a 62" DLP TV about 8' from me for 2 years and don't recall having any issues with anything like that

What other info might i need to give to help advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
About the kinect and the projector.

Remember that a pj has to have an unobstructed light path to the screen. Maybe your kids are short and will be fully under the screen but you won't be able to use the kinect with a projector behind you. You will be in the light patch. It makes it hard to play.

If the projector gets in front of the play area I think kinetic starts to be become a real possibility.

Flat black room and 100% light control. Good job. Just get a simple white screen. Let the room and the projector do it's thing.

If you stay at 10 foot to a 135 know it not for everyone. Some love it, some hate it. In reality decide on Seating and Projector Placement first then decide on the projector/screen size

Have Fun!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinect needs some lighting too. So you are not talking of a dark room during gameplay. I think you might want to look at short throw projectors, and have xbox/Kinect placement somewhere between the screen and the play area (while being able to control the lighting between the projector/screen and having some ambient focused lights in the play area).
post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My understanding is the Kinnect only needs lighting for face recognition. The projector location is set already and seating is completely flexible. I currently have 2 recliners that can be moved wherever. The Kinnect functionality is not priority. So with all of that said, what are the suggestions for what projectors I should be looking at??
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page