Need help understanding throw/offset specs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Well it's tax refund season, and once agian I'm getting projector fever. For the last couple of years I've been on the fence and almost pulled the trigger, but even after researching, I've never been able to commit. Everytime I think I've found a projector I might like, it always seems to have an achillies heel.
Here's what I'd like to get-
Something that's not over $1000
3D not important
The best black levels I can get for the budget
A 110-120 in image

The mounting always seems to be the roadblock. I've tried using the projector calculator, but there's some things I can't figure out. What I'm looking for is a projector that can give me my desired image size that can be mounted as far back in my room without having the image nearly on the floor or on the ceiling. I live in an apartment so my mounting options are somewhat limited. My room is about 15 feet long with an 8 foot ceiling. Can someone help me out here, please?
The more I research, the more my head spins, lol.

XBL GT: deathpallie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Try this calc, http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ and plug in numbers on the Viewsonic 8200, and Epson 8350. One might work for you with the 8' ceilings. With the viewsonic being dlp, the 8350 lcd is the most flexible for placement. I think the Epson may have the better image for blacks.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yes, the Epson has better blacks than the Viewsonic. Epson 8350 is a good deal, just need to get one with good convergence.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Try this calc, http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ and plug in numbers on the Viewsonic 8200, and Epson 8350.

Thanks for the responces. The projector calculator site you linked to seems to be broken now. That'll teach me to write stuff down I guess. I tell you, projectors might be more than a niche product if the placement options were a little more flexible in the budget range. That's always been a deal breaker for a lot of us.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hardly think projectors are a niche product rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You may not think they are if you have one. But seriously, how many people, even people who consider themselves serious A/V hobbyist own a projector compared to flat panels? C'mon, it's a small percentage and you know it. And I don't mean to belitle fp by calling it a niche, after all I'm looking to join the club by asking for help. But lets be realistic, it's a niche.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

But seriously, how many people, even people who consider themselves serious A/V hobbyist own a projector

Of the A/V hobbyist I know personally, pretty many. In fact, most that I know (except those who still own CRT projectors). Projectors are ubiquitous. Of course the percentage is small next to panels; doesn't mean they are a niche by any stretch. BenQ can't manufacture their latest model fast enough to meet the demand. I recently went on a tour of new homes in my area getting ideas for my own. Every new showcase home had a either a media room or a theater; all had projectors and in wall speakers. Were the rooms audiophile quality, probably not, but all had projectors.

Perhaps you think they are a niche because you don't own one. Not sure. wink.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Of the A/V hobbyist I know personally, pretty many. In fact, most that I know (except those who still own CRT projectors). Projectors are ubiquitous. Of course the percentage is small next to panels; doesn't mean they are a niche by any stretch. BenQ can't manufacture their latest model fast enough to meet the demand. I recently went on a tour of new homes in my area getting ideas for my own. Every new showcase home had a either a media room or a theater; all had projectors and in wall speakers. Were the rooms audiophile quality, probably not, but all had projectors.

Perhaps you think they are a niche because you don't own one. Not sure. wink.gif

For arguments sake, I'll just say they're not mainstream. In fact, that's part of the appeal to me.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 149
^ don't worry about it, I'm with you. Way less than 1 out of 100 homes have one set up, I'm 100% certain of that...and that they're a niche product/application due to the aforementioned. I just looked at my cell phone: 153 people/families, 0 projectors. Go figure.

There's 115 million households in the US alone and 7 billion people on planet earth, I'd bet benq hasn't manufactured more than a couple thousand 1070's.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page