Advice pls: Optoma HD20 vs HD33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Newbie here. I'm moving into a new place in the coming month and have an opportunity to have a pretty big screen on my wall 90"+ to as much as maybe 120" (haven't had a chance to properly measure yet since I haven't moved in yet).

Of course there's two sales going on for Optoma PJsj this week: Costco.ca has the HD33 for C$1270 (incl a pair of 3d glasses) and amazon.ca has the HD20 for C$699, which seems to be a really good price. I was looking at the hd33 given all the great reviews but he value of the hd20 maybe too hard to pass up.

Here's a few of the potential issues for me given all the research I've done:
- the PJ will go in my living room (14'x20', I can put it back close to 20' from where the screen will be)
- I've got an open concept condo where the living room, kitchen, dining room and solarium is all open concept (living room is flanked with solarium on one side and kitchen, dining room on other (so, that'll impact sound but not much I can do about that).
- there will be decent amount of ambient light as there's probably about 13'+ of windows by the solarium (thou, I will attempt to cover with darker shades).
- b/c of my condo setup, I will be watching regular TV and movies on the PJ as I won't have a man cave/bat cave (aside: don't you go batty, pardon the pun, by being in the dark a lot watching TV and movies? I will probably want some ambient lighting when watching TV, I think.)
- 3d is nice to have but not necessary esp. If the rumours are true that you can convert the hd20 to 3d and ho cheap it could be to add on (thou, I'm curious as to the quality given my room specs, ambient lighting, throw distance etc.)

Anyway, I know this is a long message from a potential home theatre projector newbie but I want to make sure I get it right the first time (or reasonable close) to Max out the experience!

Thanks for any feedback anyone cares to share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55
From your discription of the room I would't consider a projector at all. Those two are not bright enough anyways, unless you don't mind a very washed out picture

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Ambient light is a killer for projected images. Look at the intended projection area during the brightest conditions. That is as dark as your image will be. In other words, no shadow detail, no contrast and a washed out image.

If you can't control the light, I would seriously consider a flat screen.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Guys, I appreciate the honest advice. I thought about not necessarily being able to control the light as an issue but some reviews I've read suggest it (hd33) works well with ambient light/living room setting. I figure the hd20 might not be bright enough at 1700 lumens too but i've read if you set it to a higher light output it's pretty good still. I might buy and test and if it's that washd out I'll have to return it.

I thought about a bigger (60" led) TV as well but when I look at my wall all I'm thinking is projector.....sob : (

Appreciate the input regardless!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The level of ambient light is a relative issue. It may be that the reviews you read were referring to minimal light from lamps, but you're talking about full-blown sunlight streaming in through the windows.

As I said, look at the wall. That's the best you're going to get in terms of darkness. Projectors cannot create dark areas in the presence of light. So any light hitting the screen is going to have a negative impact on the image. How much depends on the amount of light.

If you can return the projector, go ahead and try it. You're the only one that knows the actual conditions, we only have your description to go on, so our advice is based on that.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page