LG PA70G versus Benq W1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know its a long shot but has anyone seen these two projectors in action? I have narrowed it down to these two but I can't decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Benq W1070 hands down, not even a contest.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Regarding the obvious... lumen's, 3D, sharpness, detail and placement flexibility the BenQ bests the LG.

Odd's are the contrast is very similar and the LG does throw a nice image (if you get one that has excellent focal uniformity) but I would say only buy the LG if you want to have an LED based projector that can be used like an HDtv.

I own the PA70G so no purchase justification / bias here.

Jason
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In addition to what has already been said, is price difference. smile.gif

When the LG PA70G is on sale for 399, nice price. And for that price you don't ever have to worry about changing bulbs every 3,000 hours or 5,000 hours, because the life is 30,000 hours life. Also, let's not forget the 2 year warranty in the USA for the LGPA70G compared to the one year on the benq.
Also, what's not to like about being able to turn on and off the LED PJ anytime you want , whereas, every time you turn on a bulb based PJ, it puts a lot of strain of the bulb,and shortens the bulb life. With bulb based PJ, every time you turn it on it uses 4 hours of bulb life , or so they say, even if you only have it on 30 minutes.

With the LED PJ, it's just alike a hdtv. And I love that. Many times, I use the LED PJ to play game, then after 30 mins , if I suck at that gaming session, I turn the PJ off, and do something else.

I don't like 3D because it screws with my eyes.

If you are interested for just movies and gaming and don't mine having to change the bulb every 3,000-5,000 hours for 200 dollars a pop, go for the bulb based PJ.
Both are very good tech level stuff.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree that I'm willing to put up with some picture quality compromise for the convenience of LED technology. No bulb to suck energy like a washing machine, explode, dim (needing constant recalibration), warm up, cool down. Ive owned projectors for the last 15 years, and always felt the bulb part was a pain in the ass anachronism.

Even though I'll never go back to a bulb based projector, I will be all over a true 1080p LED projector when one comes out at a reasonable price. Until then I'll do fine with the PA70G especially since the PQ is much improved over $2000 plus bulb projectors I've owned in the past.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Regarding the obvious... lumen's, 3D, sharpness, detail and placement flexibility the BenQ bests the LG.

Odd's are the contrast is very similar and the LG does throw a nice image (if you get one that has excellent focal uniformity) but I would say only buy the LG if you want to have an LED based projector that can be used like an HDtv.

I own the PA70G so no purchase justification / bias here.

Jason

Wow!! I took a look at you HT slideshow!!. Impressive. It looks like you would know better than anyone if the LG would be comparable to the W1070. Just for hardware comparison I would venture to say the W1070 would be closest to you Optoma HD33. How would you say the LG compares to your HD33? Is it even in the same league for home theater viewing (light controlled)?

Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 View Post

Wow!! I took a look at you HT slideshow!!. Impressive. It looks like you would know better than anyone if the LG would be comparable to the W1070. Just for hardware comparison I would venture to say the W1070 would be closest to you Optoma HD33. How would you say the LG compares to your HD33? Is it even in the same league for home theater viewing (light controlled)?

Thanks

Most of the pics are a sampling of some of the units that I have owned/tested but all of those pj's pictured are not mine, a few belong to local friends and are pj's that I have calibrated (the HD33 being one of those). wink.gif

Please keep in mind that I have not seen the w1070/1080 as of yet and basing my previous comments on the facts of what we know more than my own personal opinion.

However... having seen most of the BenQ HT offerings over the years I am familiar with their 'look' and have to be honest and say the PA70G is not going to compete with the w1070 in many areas.

Now as stated when the PA70G can be purchased for roughly $500 less than the w1070 it's an incredible bang for the buck but only you can decide if the extra expense is worth it for your use.

What I can say is that I would not pay a dime more than $600 for the PA70G (I was lucky enough to get in on the Fry's deal), as not much beyond that there are other units that best it regarding over-all image quality.

This is also coming from someone that is likely one of the few people to see a fully calibrated D65/6500k PA70G and know what it is capable of (and not capable of). wink.gif

Best of luck, some tough choices to make but do not let any of us tell you what to buy, base your choice on your own needs/wants (while doing your research).

Jason
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page