Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #541 of 605 Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ebrackin, glad to hear my cal settings were of some help. Are the color wheels different in the HD25 & HD25LV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 605 Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post

ebrackin, glad to hear my cal settings were of some help. Are the color wheels different in the HD25 & HD25LV?

Something tells me yes? but I am not sure. The light output is definitely different which may have been why I had to make those minor tweaks but all around you did a Superb Job!

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #543 of 605 Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Liked: 10
Dom Sad - just noticed your pics you posted...your firmware needs updating. I would do that before I did anything else to be honest. Needs to be downloaded from the Optoma site.
post #544 of 605 Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Quick question for ya'll. I have hit 500 hours and my HD25 pops up a warning every time it turns on that says I need to clean or replace the air filters. I went through the manual and it says nothing about even where they are and I have found nothing concrete online so has anybody cleaned the filters on there Optoma HD25? The only thing I can guess is to remove the bulb? Or possibly use a vacuum to suck out dust from all the vents on the front and sides? I have also heard of using a compressor to blow the dust out but that possibly requires disassembling the whole thing? I just recently got a good ceiling mount and put it in a great position and would really hate to have to take the thing down and take it all apart to find these buggers so any guidance would be very appreciated!

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #545 of 605 Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

No air filter on my HD25-LV and no mention in the manual either. Mine does have an overtemp indicator LED next to the power LED - the manual mentions to make sure the vent areas are not blocked/restricted and to make sure the room isn't too warm if this light comes on. Is your overtemp light on or blinking?
post #546 of 605 Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:

No air filter on my HD25-LV and no mention in the manual either. Mine does have an overtemp indicator LED next to the power LED - the manual mentions to make sure the vent areas are not blocked/restricted and to make sure the room isn't too warm if this light comes on. Is your overtemp light on or blinking?

That's what I thought too after reading through the manual and getting a flashlight and looking through the vents but it is a definite popup warning about an air filter only. I have no temp warnings or blinking lights during viewing so I really don't know lol! I put the vacuum to the vents last night just to see if I could suck out any dust lying around but the error came up all the same and I will take a pic of it tonight when I get off work. I wonder if it is just part of the firmware and since the newer projectors from Optoma seem to not have a filter if this is a glitch and maybe there is some way to reset the counter? Would love to hear from someone who has also had this happen? Or anyone who is over 500 hours and doesn't have the warning?

Note: I have had this machine for almost a year now and I have not plugged it into a computer for firmware updates. Should I look into this? The picture is perfect and I don't want to mess something up if I don't have to.

Thanks Ken for the quick reply!

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #547 of 605 Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

I did the firmware upgrade last month with no problems. The only change I noticed was with Dynamic Black - when I tried DB before the upgrade the fan would change speed frequently and you could hear the changes which was annoying so I left DB off. After the upgrade, turning DB on (low or high) causes the fan to run faster but at a steady speed so it's more tolerable. I prefer DB off however for the lower fan noise and because I didn't notice any impact with DB on during the few minutes I tried it.

I got my projector in Dec2013 so my firmware was only 1 revision behind the most current and I never got a filter warning at 500 hours. Your firmware may be older than my original version so a firmware upgrade may solve your issue.
post #548 of 605 Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I did the firmware upgrade last month with no problems. The only change I noticed was with Dynamic Black - when I tried DB before the upgrade the fan would change speed frequently and you could hear the changes which was annoying so I left DB off. After the upgrade, turning DB on (low or high) causes the fan to run faster but at a steady speed so it's more tolerable. I prefer DB off however for the lower fan noise and because I didn't notice any impact with DB on during the few minutes I tried it.

I got my projector in Dec2013 so my firmware was only 1 revision behind the most current and I never got a filter warning at 500 hours. Your firmware may be older than my original version so a firmware upgrade may solve your issue.

Thanks! I will get that set up this evening then and see what happens. I agree about DB. It definitely makes the borders in widescreen movies darker but I lose some detail in the shadows that I don't like so I am a fan of leaving it off as well.

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #549 of 605 Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 PM

Wow just found some guy selling Optoma HD25e on eBay for 645$ factory sealed! http://www.ebay.com/itm/121315258672

I just had gotten a new one for 750 and thought that was good. He has a legit selling history of it too I guess. 

post #550 of 605 Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM

What is the lates FW version for the UK please?
Also, anybody else notice that the HD25e clips white? Using the AVS709 disc, the lines will never flash beyond 233 for me anyway. I thought it was my Blu-ray player but no white clipping on my LG plasma on the same player...
post #551 of 605 Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrackin View Post

That's what I thought too after reading through the manual and getting a flashlight and looking through the vents but it is a definite popup warning about an air filter only. I have no temp warnings or blinking lights during viewing so I really don't know lol! I put the vacuum to the vents last night just to see if I could suck out any dust lying around but the error came up all the same and I will take a pic of it tonight when I get off work. I wonder if it is just part of the firmware and since the newer projectors from Optoma seem to not have a filter if this is a glitch and maybe there is some way to reset the counter? Would love to hear from someone who has also had this happen? Or anyone who is over 500 hours and doesn't have the warning?

Note: I have had this machine for almost a year now and I have not plugged it into a computer for firmware updates. Should I look into this? The picture is perfect and I don't want to mess something up if I don't have to.

Thanks Ken for the quick reply!

You guys are experiencing no problems at all.When I had this projector,I had the same warning appear as well.It is a malfunction in the software.It has to do with the numbers of hours on the lamp.If I remember correctly, you have to reset the projector to the factory settings including the lamp hours.So make sure to mark down your memory settings.After this is done, the warning will disappear.There are no air filters on this projector.I had this verified by a top tier tech with Optoma when I encountered the error with the filter warning.Everything is all good.No worries.
post #552 of 605 Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

You guys are experiencing no problems at all.When I had this projector,I had the same warning appear as well.It is a malfunction in the software.It has to do with the numbers of hours on the lamp.If I remember correctly, you have to reset the projector to the factory settings including the lamp hours.So make sure to mark down your memory settings.After this is done, the warning will disappear.There are no air filters on this projector.I had this verified by a top tier tech with Optoma when I encountered the error with the filter warning.Everything is all good.No worries.

Thanks so much! Good to know and I will just ignore it.

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #553 of 605 Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Would the HD-25LV be a step up from the HD131XE? I am still in my 30 day window, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with comparing the two projectors. Thought about the EPSON, but having the projector for what it seems, right in the middle for the screen does not appeal to me. I like the lower offset to show outside movies that the Optoma does.

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS20,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console
post #554 of 605 Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

The HD-25LV uses a brighter bulb otherwise I think they are the same projector. You mentioned showing movies outside/outdoors so the extra brightness might be worth it.
post #555 of 605 Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks for your input. that is pretty much what I am thinking, as I am trying to justify the extra $300 dollars for the HD25LV. Upgraditus is a fun and terrible disease

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
post #556 of 605 Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I've also heard 3D is good on the HD25-LV due to the extra brightness. My LV is still bright in Eco-mode so I leave it in Eco because I like the lower fan noise.
post #557 of 605 Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Worked on the primary and secondary colors calibration last night and reduced the avg error from ~3 down to ~2.2 . Below are my latest settings and resulting HCFR snapshots. Tweaks up/down are shaded green/red. I did not try to tweak the green settings since it's the most problematic.

djkms and lizrussspike like this.
post #558 of 605 Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I've also heard 3D is good on the HD25-LV due to the extra brightness. My LV is still bright in Eco-mode so I leave it in Eco because I like the lower fan noise.
I too thing that I will be in ECO mode, as it will pro-long the lamp life. I am looking forward to summer and outside blu-rays, should be fun. Thanks Ken, and thanks for sharing your numbers, that is pretty detailed!!

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
post #559 of 605 Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Worked on the primary and secondary colors calibration last night and reduced the avg error from ~3 down to ~2.2 . Below are my latest settings and resulting HCFR snapshots. Tweaks up/down are shaded green/red. I did not try to tweak the green settings since it's the most problematic.

Thank you for posting this! The picture looks fantastic with these settings. I have used several settings I found online (including my own) and this is by far the best I have found. Really appreciate your time in doing this and sharing with us! smile.gif

Kris S
post #560 of 605 Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

dj, glad to hear they helped your picture ... but I tweaked them again smile.gif

I decided to tackle the green settings tonight after having good luck with the secondaries last night. I also wanted to back off the brightness some so the dark areas would look a bit darker. In summary, not much improvement with the green but the other primaries as well as all the secondaries all improved with the avg error now ~1.8 versus ~2.2 yesterday. The CIE diagram now has a more symmetrical look and the gamma curve is more linear so the blacks are blacker.

No more tweaking for at least a month smile.gif

GGB likes this.
post #561 of 605 Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Starting now smile.gif ... I thought the darks were a bit too dark and I went back to the unsymmetrical triangle (white line) which covers more of the color area in the reference triangle (black line). I was using the 75% REC709 reference target.

post #562 of 605 Old 04-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Starting now smile.gif ... I thought the darks were a bit too dark and I went back to the unsymmetrical triangle (white line) which covers more of the color area in the reference triangle (black line). I was using the 75% REC709 reference target.

Your killing me!! I watched Out of the Furnace last night on the previous settings you did. I thought it was too dark as well. I turned up the brightness to -2 and it seemed to wash out the color a little bit. Look forward to trying these new settings to see how it compensates.

Kris S
post #563 of 605 Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Just tried the new settings you posted. For me it was a bit too red. I went back to the original settings you posted, it was the best balance between color and darkness. Thanks again for your work in doing this!

Kris S
post #564 of 605 Old 04-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

So far, I'm happy with the latest pass. If you want to try a small tweak to tone down the red, it looks like the RGB plot needs a bit more blue compared to my first set of settings so you would just need to change the WHITE numbers from -5 3 1 to -5 3 2 .
post #565 of 605 Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Made a small tweak to Brightness (+1) as I watched a couple of movies over the weekend and thought the blacks were still too dark. Also bumped down the Contrast -1 to flatten out the high end of the gamma curve. With only those 2 adjustments, the avg error on the primary & secondary colors is now ~1.5 which is the lowest error I've achieved so far.

post #566 of 605 Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
kenhdtv - Thank you for continuing to provide updates to this thread. Can you mention what your room setup is (wall/ceiling colors, window treatments, etc) to help those that may try your settings?

Are there any HD25e owners that would like to share their settings and room environments?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #567 of 605 Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

AB, my HD25-LV is 12 feet from my Projecta 106" screen (from BB) which is located in our game room (good screen, no sparkles, probably 1.0 gain). The window in the pic below faces NE so I use the projector in the preset BRIGHT mode to overcome the glare in the morning (sunny days the image is pretty washed out, overcast days or afternoons are fine). At night I switch to my calibrated settings and turn off any other ambient lights so my calibrated settings are based on a dark environment. The carpet and ceiling are beige/tan but I don't think either are influencing the calibration because of the distance to the floor and the slanted ceiling.

Unfortunately the HD25e uses a different bulb so I doubt my settings will give you the same picture I get with the HD25-LV.

post #568 of 605 Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

dj, I watched another movie over the weekend and still thought the darks were too dark so I'm back to settings very close to your favorite from post #557 where I had BRIGHTNESS at -2. The color error is better with the settings from last night - you may not notice any difference since both were below the recommended avg error of 3 or less.

I also took measurements of the preset modes for comparison so people can see the difference between the out-of-the-box settings and calibrated settings. Here's the ranking based on tight RGB/grayscale and primary/secondary color avg error. I think a good RGB grayscale should be first priority then low color error.

1 - USER, the best RGB, 1.8 avg color error
2 - BRIGHT, 2nd best RGB, 9.7 avg color error
3 - CINEMA, 3rd best RGB, 7.6 avg color error
4 - REFERENCE, 4th best RGB, 7.8 avg color error
5 - PHOTO, the worst RGB, 15.0 avg color error

My results from last night ...

Here are the RGB comparisons ...

USER

BRIGHT

CINEMA

REFERENCE

PHOTO

Here are the CIE Diagram comparisons (white triangle should match black triangle = 75% REC709 standard) ...

USER

BRIGHT

CINEMA

REFERENCE

PHOTO

SUGGESTION: If someone doesn't have any calibration equipment and wants to make a simple 1-setting tweak to improve one of these PRESET modes, my recommendation would be to select CINEMA then hit:

(if you have previously tweaked some settings, write down your USER settings before doing the following)

- MENU, ADVANCED, COLOR SETTINGS, WHITE
- then adjust the RED (R) setting down to the -5 to -7 range
- then exit out of the options menu, your USER mode is now a tweaked version of CINEMA

This should tone down the red in the CINEMA RGB/grayscale plot so red is more in line with green & blue.
GGB likes this.
post #569 of 605 Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the settings Ken, I will try them when I get home.

Not sure how much difference there is between the LV and E but I am using Ken's settings with great success on my E.

I also run bright during the day due to ambient light and user settings at night. I am projecting onto a 110" High Contrast Grey screen.

Kris S
post #570 of 605 Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

I'm getting my hd25e this week... would you settings for HD25-LV apply to my projector as well?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page