Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #571 of 596 Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think the HD25-LV and HD25e projectors are basically identical except for the brighter bulb in the LV so I would suggest giving my latest settings a try - the post just above yours from djkms is from someone who also has the HD25e and he is getting good results using my HD25-LV settings.

You could also try the simple 1-setting tweak I suggested at the end of my last post and go with whichever gives you a better picture. If you will always be using the projector with ambient light, just stick with the preset BRIGHT profile. My settings or the 1-setting tweak are only good when you are using the projector in a dark room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 596 Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post

dj, I watched another movie over the weekend and still thought the darks were too dark so I'm back to settings very close to your favorite from post #557 where I had BRIGHTNESS at -2. The color error is better with the settings from last night - you may not notice any difference since both were below the recommended avg error of 3 or less.

I also took measurements of the preset modes for comparison so people can see the difference between the out-of-the-box settings and calibrated settings. Here's the ranking based on tight RGB/grayscale and primary/secondary color avg error. I think a good RGB grayscale should be first priority then low color error.

1 - USER, the best RGB, 1.8 avg color error
2 - BRIGHT, 2nd best RGB, 9.7 avg color error
3 - CINEMA, 3rd best RGB, 7.6 avg color error
4 - REFERENCE, 4th best RGB, 7.8 avg color error
5 - PHOTO, the worst RGB, 15.0 avg color error

My results from last night ...

Improvement! I liked the first setting but the saturation seemed a bit too prevalent. This is perfect, if you could get it much better than this I would be surprised. Thanks again!!

Kris S
post #573 of 596 Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HP Pavilion p6740f - DVI to HDMI cable to receiver to projector?

Hi All:

I own a basic HP Pavilion p6740f desktop tower. Tonight, I'm moving it from the upstairs office to the downstairs media room. The media room is set up with all of the components, bluray, xbox360, dvr, etc in the front of the room, and the projector, mounted to the ceiling, in the back of the room. I'm planning on putting my HP Pavilion p6740f tower with the other components in the front of the room.

I plan on using the built in Windows Media Center on my PC (Windows 7) via my xbox 360. However, my PC doesn't have an HDMI output. It DOES have a DVI output.

My question: IF I HOOK UP A DVI TO HDMI CABLE FROM MY HP Pavilion p6740f PC, TO A DENON AVR 591 RECEIVER, WHICH PUSHES HDMI OUT TO MY OPTOMA HD25 LV PROJECTOR, WILL THE SIGNAL BE INTERPRETED CORRECTLY, OR WILL I NEED TO BUY AN HDMI CARD FOR MY PC TO USE INSTEAD?

Whether it's 740 p/i, or 1080 p/i, I could care less, as long as it's not 480 i/p.

This is a very specific question, so I plan to post it at hp.com as well.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Sincerely Yours,

zebrafetish2000
post #574 of 596 Old 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

yes, the dvi to HDMI cable will work for the video signal but you will also need an audio cable (toslink optical or single RCA cable) between your PC and AV receiver because the DVI output is video only.
zebrafetish2000 likes this.
post #575 of 596 Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post
yes, the dvi to HDMI cable will work for the video signal but you will also need an audio cable (toslink optical or single RCA cable) between your PC and AV receiver because the DVI output is video only.
Excellent advice. This did in fact work exactly as described. My HP PC has a digital coax output. My Denon receiver has a digital coax input...so they we go. It works very well for all sorts of things. Check out http://www.techsupportalert.com/5-Be...ming-Sites.htm for some free content that I've just started dabbling into.

Thanks!!!

-RD
post #576 of 596 Old 06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Joined the 3D club last night. Got a HD25e from amazon, estar glasses, plug in play and looked really nice. I'll be fine tuning soon, but pleased with what I got right out of the box.

post #577 of 596 Old 07-01-2014, 06:10 AM

Liked: 0
HD25e

I also recently purchased the HD25e from Amazon. The default profile settings definitely seemed more reddish-yellow. Thanks to Ken's work, the user profile brings out more natural colors!

I watch and play a lot of 3D content, any recommendations for a user profile in normal instead of eco mode?
post #578 of 596 Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Damn, only had the HD25e projector a few days and started making a loud high pitched noise. Guess I'll have to exchange unless there's a way to fix?

post #579 of 596 Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM

I just got a new HD25LV, it replaced an HD20. I just got it set up and while the black levels and color are a huge improvement, I'm disapointed with the sharpness compared to the HD20. Does anyone else feel it's not as sharp as it should be?
post #580 of 596 Old 07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Corey, is your lack of sharpness an issue for the entire image or a portion of it? If it's the entire image, make sure you have the keystone setting = 0. If it's a portion of the image, your projector may not be mounted perfectly perpendicular to your screen - my focus is very touchy in that I can get most of the image sharp but usually 1 corner is less than ideal. I've read about a lens upgrade from Optoma but so far I've decided it's not worth the hassle to ship it in for servicing.
post #581 of 596 Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post
I just got a new HD25LV, it replaced an HD20. I just got it set up and while the black levels and color are a huge improvement, I'm disapointed with the sharpness compared to the HD20. Does anyone else feel it's not as sharp as it should be?
Corey, that sucks. Unfortunately, I have the same issue. I don't really notice it, unless it's small text/print on the screen. However, now that I have my PC hooked up to my projector, it happens more often than before. Ken is right, you can usually get 3/4 corners of the screen sharp, but not all four. I have my projector ceiling mounted, with the OEM projector mount from Optoma's website, and it's still fuzzy in the upper left hand corner.
post #582 of 596 Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Corey, is your lack of sharpness an issue for the entire image or a portion of it? If it's the entire image, make sure you have the keystone setting = 0. If it's a portion of the image, your projector may not be mounted perfectly perpendicular to your screen - my focus is very touchy in that I can get most of the image sharp but usually 1 corner is less than ideal. I've read about a lens upgrade from Optoma but so far I've decided it's not worth the hassle to ship it in for servicing.

It's really the overall image, I haven't adjusted the keystone so I assume it's at zero, but I'll check it out. I have the sharpness maxed out but with my hd20 it was just above halfway to achieve what seems to be about the same sharpness.
post #583 of 596 Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Having Sharpness set at MAX could be the problem - mine is set on 8. Here's a link explaining the Sharpness control and how to adjust it -

Also, are you at the zoom limit (min or max) of the HD25LV? What is your screen size and distance from lens to screen?
Nodscene likes this.
post #584 of 596 Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Having Sharpness set at MAX could be the problem - mine is set on 8. Here's a link explaining the Sharpness control and how to adjust it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX9_N8On4D8

Also, are you at the zoom limit (min or max) of the HD25LV? What is your screen size and distance from lens to screen?

I am at the zoom limit, it's about 13 feet away from a 120" screen. I just removed my hd20 and put this one in place of it, everything is set up exactly the same as it was on the hd20. The video is helpful but at max sharpness I'm not seeing the white around the edges, I would on my other one but this one is just nowhere near as sharp.
post #585 of 596 Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently have an HD-33 and want to upgrade to the HD25-LV. The problem is that I have a rather substantial investment in the Optoma RF 3D glasses (BG-3DRFGLASSES) and emitter.

Can I use these glasses on the HD25-LV?

Chris Blount
post #586 of 596 Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM

I have had an HD25LV for close to a year now and love it. However, I've been having trouble with my DirecTV DVR and getting premium channels to display. Does anyone here know for sure that this model is HDCP compliant? If it is, has anyone run into problems with HDMI cables not being compliant (mine are about 4-5 years old now).
post #587 of 596 Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
I currently have an HD-33 and want to upgrade to the HD25-LV. The problem is that I have a rather substantial investment in the Optoma RF 3D glasses (BG-3DRFGLASSES) and emitter.

Can I use these glasses on the HD25-LV?
I sold my original Optoma RF glasses with my HD33. I did test one of the Monster 3D glasses/emitter that I still have with the HD25-LV, and they worked fine. So I would guess your glasses will work.

Of course, the newer glasses are better. I would be happy to sell you my HD25-LV with some of the newer glasses.
post #588 of 596 Old 07-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Corey, does changing the zoom improve the focus? You will have to re-focus after changing the zoom. If the picture still won't get sharp then I think it's time to exchange it. You should be able to view a web page on it and see nice sharp text.
post #589 of 596 Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

mhops, the HDMI ports on the HD25-LV are HDMI 1.4a compliant and will work with video sources using HDCP.

Have you always had a HDCP problem or just recently? If recently, what changed? If nothing, then DVR, cable, or projector has gone flaky.

Assuming you have always had this problem, is your DVR connected directly to your projector? If so, it's either your DVR or cable. If not, it's probably your HDMI switch or AV receiver that's not HDCP compatible.
post #590 of 596 Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Thanks for your ideas, Ken.

It's been a more recent phenomenon. But I have replaced other devices as well, so I guess my suspicion could fall on them too -- and XboxOne and a Marantz NR1604. So I'll have to look into those. Otherwise, the cables and the DVR have not changed.
post #591 of 596 Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

mhops, if you connect the projector HDMI cable directly to the DVR do you still have the problem? If so, it's not the XB1 or Marantz. If you don't have the problem, connect the projector cable to the Marantz and the DVR to the Marantz, now what's it doing? If the problem surfaces then it could be the cable between the DVR and Marantz (try a different cable) or an issue with the Marantz.
post #592 of 596 Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks Ken - great plan. I guess when I think about it the way you present it, there are several different (very short) cables involved in addition to the devices. I'll check all of those out as you suggest before complaining to DTV.
post #593 of 596 Old 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

mhops, also if the issue exists while using the Marantz, try switching the video source to something else then back to the DVR. I did a quick search on Marantz NR1604 DirecTV problem and saw someone with a related issue and the source swap seemed to identify the Marantz as the problem.
post #594 of 596 Old 07-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Ken, do you have any settings for 3D for the Optoma.
post #595 of 596 Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry atad, I don't watch 3D stuff so I have never tried to calibrate the HD25-LV for 3D mode. If the concern is the tint of the 3D glasses, you could try just tweaking the White settings(controls the overall grayscale), mine are currently R= -7, G= 3, and B= 1. If you think your glasses add a green tint, then try dropping the G value down a few notches.
atad likes this.
post #596 of 596 Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Sorry atad, I don't watch 3D stuff so I have never tried to calibrate the HD25-LV for 3D mode. If the concern is the tint of the 3D glasses, you could try just tweaking the White settings(controls the overall grayscale), mine are currently R= -7, G= 3, and B= 1. If you think your glasses add a green tint, then try dropping the G value down a few notches.
Thanks Ken for the suggestions. Also thanks for posting your 2D settings.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page