Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #601 of 619 Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
chamberc, what prevents you from moving the projector closer or using a bigger screen? Most people who project outdoors go much bigger - see http://www.backyardtheater.com/ .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 619 Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post
chamberc, what prevents you from moving the projector closer or using a bigger screen? Most people who project outdoors go much bigger - see http://www.backyardtheater.com/ .
a pool is the main obstacle. i suppose i could try the yard master 2 135 inch but that's getting pretty big.
post #603 of 619 Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

chamberc, funny, I thought you might say that. I built a 200" screen for our pool back in 2007 and had a similar problem and had to use the projectorcentral search tool to find a projector with the right zoom (~34 ft distance). Haven't used the screen in a couple of years and thought about the HD25-LV because the brightness and picture quality would be much, much better but the calculator says the projector would have to be 26 ft away which would require a small table near the edge of the pool versus the mount I have on the side of the house.

135 in. isn't too big if everyone is sitting 20 ft from the screen.

Backyard screen = http://backyardtheater.com/forums/in...ic,1434.0.html
post #604 of 619 Old 07-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
chamberc, funny, I thought you might say that. I built a 200" screen for our pool back in 2007 and had a similar problem and had to use the projectorcentral search tool to find a projector with the right zoom (~34 ft distance). Haven't used the screen in a couple of years and thought about the HD25-LV because the brightness and picture quality would be much, much better but the calculator says the projector would have to be 26 ft away which would require a small table near the edge of the pool versus the mount I have on the side of the house.

135 in. isn't too big if everyone is sitting 20 ft from the screen.

Backyard screen = http://backyardtheater.com/forums/in...ic,1434.0.html
Nice setup! yes, I'm going to have to find some projector to do the distance vs. size I'm forced to work with.
post #605 of 619 Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 PM

I've finally worked out a plan where I can place the projector 17 feet from the other side of the pool (mounted on the patio eve) from a 135 inch Yard Master 2. Should have it all delivered soon! Thanks guys!
post #606 of 619 Old 08-03-2014, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question

Hi everybody:

My name is Cristhian, I'm from Peru and I have an Optoma HD25 since last year. Unfortunately the projector has a big issue, when I turn the projector on and after two minutes, the image disappears but not at all, it was like when there is no input plugged to the projector but in my case, the image was there. You can see how it looks like in the attached file. Another thing, at the beginning, sometimes the image was flickering and I was able to see the image normal for a few seconds.

I hope you can give an idea about what is happening, I'm worried about this issue.

PD.
1.- The wheel color is not broken
2.- I've always had the projector unplugged
3.- Here, in Lima, the humidity is 95% and now we are in winter
4.- The lamp has about 337 hours

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optoma 1.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	194425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Optoma 2.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	194433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Optoma 3.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	194441  
post #607 of 619 Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberc View Post
I've finally worked out a plan where I can place the projector 17 feet from the other side of the pool (mounted on the patio eve) from a 135 inch Yard Master 2. Should have it all delivered soon! Thanks guys!
chamberc, congrats! One other tip to help with image quality outside - try to block/turn off any ambient light such as patio lights or indoor lights that might shine on the screen. Moonlight can be dealt with by picking movie nights close to the new moon cycle versus full moon. If you have a nearby street light that's a problem, you can temporarily turn it off if it has a light sensor within reach (using a ladder) by taping a flashlight that shines into the sensor which makes the street light think it's daytime Hope you have fun with the new setup!

The last time I used my setup was a few years ago in November when we had family over to watch ELF - it was ~55'F outside so some were drinking hot chocolate with their popcorn.
post #608 of 619 Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Christhian, that does look like a problem inside the projector. In case it's moisture/humidity related, what happens if you leave the projector on for an hour? If you have some moisture inside it, the heat of the lamp might eventually dry up the moisture and return it to normal operation.
post #609 of 619 Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Christhian, that does look like a problem inside the projector. In case it's moisture/humidity related, what happens if you leave the projector on for an hour? If you have some moisture inside it, the heat of the lamp might eventually dry up the moisture and return it to normal operation.

Hi kenhdtv:
That could be the problem. Meanwhile, I've left the projector plugged. Tonight, I will turn it on and see what happens. If that didn't work, I will leave it on for al long period of time in order to dry up the humidity.

Thanks for your advices.
post #610 of 619 Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristhian View Post
Hi kenhdtv:
That could be the problem. Meanwhile, I've left the projector plugged. Tonight, I will turn it on and see what happens. If that didn't work, I will leave it on for al long period of time in order to dry up the humidity.

Thanks for your advices.

I've tried both of them and I haven't had any luck. I left the projector turned on and the issue came after 10 minutes.

Last edited by Cristhian; 08-06-2014 at 06:29 PM.
post #611 of 619 Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Christhian, what happens if you leave the projector on all day while it's hooked up to an active video source like ESPN or anything that will keep the bulb on for 8+ hours? This would ensure any moisture has completely dried up.

You may actually a weak solder joint on the internal circuit board that functions properly while the board is cool but as it heats up, the board flexes some and the weak solder joint opens/fails. Something like this would obviously require servicing/repair. If you have the projector ceiling mounted, you could change the thermodynamics by taking the projector down and flipping it right side up on a table to see if it still fails after 10 minutes - it's a long shot but it might work for longer that 10 minutes.
post #612 of 619 Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What's the typical production run, in months, for Optoma? Just curious because I see the new price dropping below $900 at Amazon. If I can get one new with warranty for around $750, I'd seriously consider getting a 25LV for a dedicated 3D projector. The lens shift of the Epson would allow me to mount them side by side.
post #613 of 619 Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 AM

Liked: 10
Good morning,
I finally got around to getting onto the forum after buying my unit about 2 months ago and I am in the process so
of searching for some settings. I did want to write in and relay my thoughts on this pj vs. my previous Mitsu. HC4000, which was destroyed by a nearby lightning strike. To sum it up, the Optoma bests the Mitsu in the following areas:
Blacks-darker
Shadow detail-the ability to view dimly lit scenes and discern objects in shadows (this area was poor with the Mitsu)
Brightness-the brighter pic helps with brighter room and performs better on my high contrast screen
Remote-having a lighted button remote is a plus for sure
Just some thoughts....if anyone has links to settings, that would be greatly appreciated. I hope to get more involved in the forum again with this new pj.
Regards, Kevin
post #614 of 619 Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Kevin, have you tried my latest settings below from my post back in May (post#568, page 19)?

post #615 of 619 Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Kevin, have you tried my latest settings below from my post back in May (post#568, page 19)?

thanks much....I didn't come across these yet but another I already entered. I am going to compare these later tonite. I have a gray screen and my bulb has less than 100 hrs so I can do a comparison. There seems to be consensus that the dynamic black should be off for the best pic.
post #616 of 619 Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunga's Revenge View Post
thanks much....I didn't come across these yet but another I already entered. I am going to compare these later tonite. I have a gray screen and my bulb has less than 100 hrs so I can do a comparison. There seems to be consensus that the dynamic black should be off for the best pic.
Ken,
Your settings are spot on...much better than the previous ones I found on another site. Football, movies, and TV all look superb. Thanks again
post #617 of 619 Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Kevin, glad to hear they improved your pic. I initially tried a high contrast gray screen but switched to a white one from BestBuy because my gray one sparkled which was distracting. The HD25-LV was bright enough during the day (in BRIGHT mode) to use the white screen. At night I switch to USER mode (calibrated settings) for movie watching.
post #618 of 619 Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 PM

I'm new to this forum, and appreciate any input you may have.

I recently bought this projector. It's cool. Great image. However I have one major issue.

My whole setup goes through a receiver, the Sony STR-DN840. So my DirecTV, DVD player, and ROKU, go to the receiver, then out to the projector. When I used this setup with my flatscreen TV it worked great. Unfortunately with the projector the ROKU outputs a green image. The image is there, I can see the movie, but it's completely green and unwatchable.

I understand this is likely an HDMI handshake issue, but I can't solve it.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables, every port, turned it on and off, and tried all the different settings but I can't figure it out. The ROKU image is always green. At first I was convinced it was the Roku, so I ordered a Chromecast. Same thing...it's green. This is very frustrating. I want to stream movies on the projector but i need my Roku or Chromecast to do that. Any idea on how I can solve this?
post #619 of 619 Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

anyonebutme, what happens when you connect the Roku directly to the projector's HDMI port (bypassing your Sony receiver)?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page