OPTOMA HD25 HD25LV new budget 2D 3D DLP FULL projector - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #631 of 650 Old 01-10-2015, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post
Folks I upgraded to HD25-LV from 3 year old 3010. And am just loving the brightness, pop, sharpness and ZERO-crosstalk 3D on my 150". I know people say it sucks in calibrated lumens, but I did not find anything wrong with the colors OOB (yet to try kenhdtv's settings) and now realize I cant live without the brightness (especially in 3D). May be ignorance is bliss. BTW I tried both DLP-link and RF glasses and the black levels are night and day better with RF.

When I display the "grid test pattern", i see that the grid is not perfectly focused even though I got the menu text to focus. I tried two units and its the same issue. Is this normal?

Should I use any test grid from external content? If so what would you recommend?

However even with this focus issue, HD25-LV is much better than 3010's soft focus and I certainly notice a marked upgrade in sharpness and pop compared to LCD. But I am worried if I am missing out on eve better performance due to this less than ideal focus issue on my HD25-LV.
I have the HD-25e but I'll give you my experience. I've had it about 16 months. I've always focused it using the grid pattern but never thought it had a really sharp image. It looks good with great color, just not as sharp as I thought it would be. A couple of months ago I connected a laptop. Brought up a screen full of text and found the whole image out of focus. I re-focused the projector to the text. All images from all sources now look sharp across the entire screen except the grid pattern is now off. It appears, at least on mine, if I focus the unit to the the grid pattern it won't be right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 01-10-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
I have the HD-25e but I'll give you my experience. I've had it about 16 months. I've always focused it using the grid pattern but never thought it had a really sharp image. It looks good with great color, just not as sharp as I thought it would be. A couple of months ago I connected a laptop. Brought up a screen full of text and found the whole image out of focus. I re-focused the projector to the text. All images from all sources now look sharp across the entire screen except the grid pattern is now off. It appears, at least on mine, if I focus the unit to the the grid pattern it won't be right.
This is excellent suggestion. will try this tonight.
post #633 of 650 Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Agent8,I use mine on ECO mode and the fan is barely noticeable. It seemed to loud in normal mode but the brightness is still great on ECO so I left it in ECO and have been happy with it for the past year.
post #634 of 650 Old 01-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Ken, I lurked this thread for a bit and used your May 2014 settings on my HD-25LV. I casted a color grid from my galaxy note 4 (basic/reference mode display settings) and compared to what the projector displayed. Unfortunately your settings seem to offer a very pale/purple blue and various other colors seem wrong in comparison to what the phone displays. I realize the note likely has a much better display, but even using reference mode on the projector seems to give much more accurate results. Any tips?
post #635 of 650 Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Pictures (taken with note 4, not ideal i know) for an idea of what I'm seeing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	originalcolorbars1080.png
Views:	501
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	478330   Click image for larger version

Name:	user mode.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	478338   Click image for larger version

Name:	reference mode.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	478354  
post #636 of 650 Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peab0dy View Post
but even using reference mode on the projector seems to give much more accurate results. Any tips?
Not sure how to edit posts but I would edit this to say more accurate not "much more"
post #637 of 650 Old 01-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Peabody, I can't really see a difference in your screenshots but something may be lost in the process. I'm not familiar with the Note 4 so I'm assuming you are wirelessly broadcasting the image to a receiver stick plugged into the projector's HDMI port. If that's the case, you may be losing some image color quality in that wireless process.

Have you tried hooking up a blu-ray player or cable box or gaming system to the projector to see how everyday videos/movies look? If they look much better then you'll know you're losing something with the Note 4 video feed.

If your projector is brand new, the color may shift a little as the bulb ages. My calibration settings were with a 1000-hr bulb.

One long shot to try would be experimenting with the color space setting under the IMAGE / ADVANCED menu section. It's probably defaulted to AUTO but you could try one of the other options to see if it improves the pic. I doubt it will help but it was a thought.

And be aware that the USER settings get overwritten if you're in a different MODE -AND- you tweak a setting like brightness, contrast, etc. As soon as you make a tweak in one of the standard modes, those mode settings and your tweak now become the new USER settings.
post #638 of 650 Old 01-26-2015, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your settings for the HD-25LV. I notice that you don't have settings for Color and Tint. Are you able to share that information as well?

Cheers,
Woel.
post #639 of 650 Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Woel, I believe Color & Tint are disabled when you're using a HDMI video source which is the only source I use.
post #640 of 650 Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post
Woel, I believe Color & Tint are disabled when you're using a HDMI video source which is the only source I use.
Hi Ken,

That's strange as I'm connected using HDMI as well as my video source. Is there something that i may have set on the projector itself?
post #641 of 650 Old 01-28-2015, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoelNosaj View Post
Hi Ken,

That's strange as I'm connected using HDMI as well as my video source. Is there something that i may have set on the projector itself?
Color and tint are disabled when feeding an RGB signal instead of YUV.
td
post #642 of 650 Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

The users manual says (on p36) that the color and tint are only supported for composite or component inputs (Video and VGA inputs next to the HDMI inputs, page 10).

http://www.optomausa.com/uploads/man...LV-M-en-US.pdf
post #643 of 650 Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post
The users manual says (on p36) that the color and tint are only supported for composite or component inputs (Video and VGA inputs next to the HDMI inputs, page 10).

http://www.optomausa.com/uploads/man...LV-M-en-US.pdf
so is there something wrong with my projector as it is displaying those options?
post #644 of 650 Old 01-29-2015, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoelNosaj View Post
so is there something wrong with my projector as it is displaying those options?
Just wanted to chime in that i dont think there is anything wrong with your projector. I get the same color and tint options as well. I connect my directv receiver to my Yamaha rxa-2030 and output to the projector from there. I also have my htpc connected to my receiver.

A quick note that when i edit my htpc, xbmc (openelec 5.0 to be exact), to output rgb colorspace i dont get the color and tint options on my projector. If i change the colorspace to what I prefer, YCbCr444, I get those options again.

I believe it all depends on what your projector is receiving as a signal.
post #645 of 650 Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighernan View Post
Just wanted to chime in that i dont think there is anything wrong with your projector. I get the same color and tint options as well. I connect my directv receiver to my Yamaha rxa-2030 and output to the projector from there. I also have my htpc connected to my receiver.

A quick note that when i edit my htpc, xbmc (openelec 5.0 to be exact), to output rgb colorspace i dont get the color and tint options on my projector. If i change the colorspace to what I prefer, YCbCr444, I get those options again.

I believe it all depends on what your projector is receiving as a signal.
Thanks for your reply bighernan. Could it be a setting on my Receiver? I have a Marantz SR6008. I connect my foxtel box and PS3 into the receiver. Sorry for all the dumb questions as this is my first projector setup.
post #646 of 650 Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
Pretty interesting, I'll have to try this. Thanks for posting.
post #647 of 650 Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
my experience with the HD25e

Just wanted to share my experience with the HD25e. I bought this to replace my ceiling-mounted IN76 in my home theater. Because of constraints in the room, I can't mount the projector more than 10 feet from the screen (Da-lite 77324 Video Spectra 1.5 high-gain 60 x 80" pull-down).

I was able to move it back a few inches because it is substantially smaller than the old projector. At maximum zoom, it just fills the screen, which my old projector couldn't quite manage, so the throw distance appears identical to the IN76. I'm very happy with the image and with the 3D effect. It is much brighter. I wish it had an s-video input, but other than that, it has everything I need.

I recently purchased a replacement lamp on Ebay which was supposed to be an original bulb in a generic housing. The housing didn't fit the projector, almost, but not quite. I had a similar problem once with a replacement bulb housing for the IN76, so I tried what worked before, swapping bulbs and putting the new bulb in the original housing.

This didn't work. I could get the bulb out of the replacement lamp housing O.K., but I could not get the original bulb out of the original housing. I couldn't loosen some of the screws that were securing the bulb. I tried all kinds of things to make the replacement housing fit into the projector, but ran out of options, so I sent it back, a little worse for wear, and got a full refund.

So I ended up spending double the money for a replacement lamp direct from Optoma. I just didn't want to take a chance on another generic housing.

Another thing I found out in my first experience with 3D was how touchy it is, at least with my Sony BDP-S5100. I found out that if the cable was connected to my Monoprice 2x2 HDMI switch that was also connected to my non-3D Vizio HD TV, it wouldn't play 3D content, or even show 3D options in the menu of dual 2D-3D disks.

I had to run a separate HDMI cable direct from the player to the projector for 3D. I also had to bypass the HDMI inputs and outputs on my Sony STRDH510 surround amp for the same reason. It can't handle 3D signals either. So I put in a ViewHD HDMI bi-directional A-B switch to shunt the 3D HDMI signal straight from the player to the projector and used a coaxial cable to handle the sound.

Most of the time, I have the A-B switch set to run the HDMI signal through the surround amp. I only need to switch it for 3D. I also use a Philips DVP5990/F7 player because I still have tons of DVDs and a few DIVX disks as well. I like to split the load between these two players. A DVR is also connected to the same system.

One of these days, I'll probably buy a new surround amp that is HDMI 3D compatible, but for now, the system works. All I need to do now is to get the projector calibrated and get rid of the dust glob that got in there when I was trying to get that replacement lamp to fit.
post #648 of 650 Old 03-30-2015, 05:11 AM

I have the HD25 for 10 months now and have just started to watch movies in 3D using the ZF2300 glasses.

I have been very happy with the picture quality in 2D. I set the black level accurately using Spears & Munsil Pluge 0% pattern. The resulting image has a very 3D look and good details.

But in actual 3D, the image brightness dropped tremendously. I wonder whether fellow members here can share what they did to get a bright enough picture when watching in 3D.

As for me, to get the best contrast, I use either of two sets of settings when watching movies in 2D: (a) Brightness -4, Contrast between -18 to -16 or (b) Brightness -5 Contrast -9. This suits me well in no ambient light on a 97" white-painted wall screen.

But to get a minimal bright enough picture in 3D, I have to raise contrast to -2 with brightness at -4, or contrast to -1 with brightness at -5. The problem in doing so is that the brightest two or three bars in Green and Blue are clipped, i.e. they become of same brightness. If I were to raise contrast further, then the highest three to four bars will be clipped.

I wonder what other solutions are available. Or should I just raise contrast to get the brightness needed for 3D and not care about the colors clipping? I prefer not to switch the lamp to bright mode as I find the noise very distracting.

Thanks for any advice.
post #649 of 650 Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anybody swapped in a new lamp yet? Mine is nearing 2,000 hours (I know it's rated for more) and the projector is definitely losing some brightness. Curious as to the impact going to a new bulb.

I do love this projector from a price/performance perspective.
post #650 of 650 Unread Today, 11:32 AM

Liked: 16
Great question. Mine is also around that amount of hours and I have noticed the change in brightness to the point where I went off calibration just to bright mode... Looked it up and its quite hard to find real replacement bulbs. Looks to be pretty expensive. I think the change out is easy though. remove the top cover and the whole unit slides out.

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #651 of 650 Unread Today, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrackin View Post
Great question. Mine is also around that amount of hours and I have noticed the change in brightness to the point where I went off calibration just to bright mode... Looked it up and its quite hard to find real replacement bulbs. Looks to be pretty expensive. I think the change out is easy though. remove the top cover and the whole unit slides out.
I grabbed one from Amazon, not the real deal but hopefully it improves the brightness. I should be replacing this evening and I'll post my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page