OPTOMA HD25 HD25LV new budget 2D 3D DLP FULL projector - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #631 of 640 Old 01-10-2015, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post
Folks I upgraded to HD25-LV from 3 year old 3010. And am just loving the brightness, pop, sharpness and ZERO-crosstalk 3D on my 150". I know people say it sucks in calibrated lumens, but I did not find anything wrong with the colors OOB (yet to try kenhdtv's settings) and now realize I cant live without the brightness (especially in 3D). May be ignorance is bliss. BTW I tried both DLP-link and RF glasses and the black levels are night and day better with RF.

When I display the "grid test pattern", i see that the grid is not perfectly focused even though I got the menu text to focus. I tried two units and its the same issue. Is this normal?

Should I use any test grid from external content? If so what would you recommend?

However even with this focus issue, HD25-LV is much better than 3010's soft focus and I certainly notice a marked upgrade in sharpness and pop compared to LCD. But I am worried if I am missing out on eve better performance due to this less than ideal focus issue on my HD25-LV.
I have the HD-25e but I'll give you my experience. I've had it about 16 months. I've always focused it using the grid pattern but never thought it had a really sharp image. It looks good with great color, just not as sharp as I thought it would be. A couple of months ago I connected a laptop. Brought up a screen full of text and found the whole image out of focus. I re-focused the projector to the text. All images from all sources now look sharp across the entire screen except the grid pattern is now off. It appears, at least on mine, if I focus the unit to the the grid pattern it won't be right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 640 Old 01-10-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
I have the HD-25e but I'll give you my experience. I've had it about 16 months. I've always focused it using the grid pattern but never thought it had a really sharp image. It looks good with great color, just not as sharp as I thought it would be. A couple of months ago I connected a laptop. Brought up a screen full of text and found the whole image out of focus. I re-focused the projector to the text. All images from all sources now look sharp across the entire screen except the grid pattern is now off. It appears, at least on mine, if I focus the unit to the the grid pattern it won't be right.
This is excellent suggestion. will try this tonight.
post #633 of 640 Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Agent8,I use mine on ECO mode and the fan is barely noticeable. It seemed to loud in normal mode but the brightness is still great on ECO so I left it in ECO and have been happy with it for the past year.
post #634 of 640 Old 01-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Ken, I lurked this thread for a bit and used your May 2014 settings on my HD-25LV. I casted a color grid from my galaxy note 4 (basic/reference mode display settings) and compared to what the projector displayed. Unfortunately your settings seem to offer a very pale/purple blue and various other colors seem wrong in comparison to what the phone displays. I realize the note likely has a much better display, but even using reference mode on the projector seems to give much more accurate results. Any tips?
post #635 of 640 Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Pictures (taken with note 4, not ideal i know) for an idea of what I'm seeing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	originalcolorbars1080.png
Views:	73
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	478330   Click image for larger version

Name:	user mode.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	478338   Click image for larger version

Name:	reference mode.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	478354  
post #636 of 640 Old 01-14-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peab0dy View Post
but even using reference mode on the projector seems to give much more accurate results. Any tips?
Not sure how to edit posts but I would edit this to say more accurate not "much more"
post #637 of 640 Old 01-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Peabody, I can't really see a difference in your screenshots but something may be lost in the process. I'm not familiar with the Note 4 so I'm assuming you are wirelessly broadcasting the image to a receiver stick plugged into the projector's HDMI port. If that's the case, you may be losing some image color quality in that wireless process.

Have you tried hooking up a blu-ray player or cable box or gaming system to the projector to see how everyday videos/movies look? If they look much better then you'll know you're losing something with the Note 4 video feed.

If your projector is brand new, the color may shift a little as the bulb ages. My calibration settings were with a 1000-hr bulb.

One long shot to try would be experimenting with the color space setting under the IMAGE / ADVANCED menu section. It's probably defaulted to AUTO but you could try one of the other options to see if it improves the pic. I doubt it will help but it was a thought.

And be aware that the USER settings get overwritten if you're in a different MODE -AND- you tweak a setting like brightness, contrast, etc. As soon as you make a tweak in one of the standard modes, those mode settings and your tweak now become the new USER settings.
post #638 of 640 Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your settings for the HD-25LV. I notice that you don't have settings for Color and Tint. Are you able to share that information as well?

Cheers,
Woel.
post #639 of 640 Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Woel, I believe Color & Tint are disabled when you're using a HDMI video source which is the only source I use.
post #640 of 640 Unread Today, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv View Post
Woel, I believe Color & Tint are disabled when you're using a HDMI video source which is the only source I use.
Hi Ken,

That's strange as I'm connected using HDMI as well as my video source. Is there something that i may have set on the projector itself?
post #641 of 640 Unread Today, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoelNosaj View Post
Hi Ken,

That's strange as I'm connected using HDMI as well as my video source. Is there something that i may have set on the projector itself?
Color and tint are disabled when feeding an RGB signal instead of YUV.
td
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page