OPTOMA HD25 HD25LV new budget 2D 3D DLP FULL projector - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 619 Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You wil get curls eventually due to stretching of screen in the long run which is why stewart makes a tensioned screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 619 Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

Is the hd25 emitter same as hd33?
Yes, but I had to update the firmware on my emitter and glasses to make it work with the HD25-LV.
td
post #183 of 619 Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Where did u get firmware for emitter?
post #184 of 619 Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
I have had the HD25-LV for a little over a week now. Have been holding off on posting my impressions until figuring out what was going on.

I also picked up the newer RF glasses - 3DNow version from consignia.ca. I was previously using the HD33 with the Optoma RF glasses, but sold this a while back. Both of these projectors are for 3D only.

Initially, was not pleased at all. Brightness did not seem any better than the HD33 if at all. The color was completely messed up. Almost colorless - kind of like looking at a black and white image with a slight yellowish tint. 3D depth seemed OK.

Fortunately, I had an old Monster 3D glasses and emitter kit around and some more time to do some testing.

First, dynamic black has to be OFF. Brilliant color also at the lowest setting, but dynamic black seemed to be the big culprit. Brighter, much improved picture. Subjectively, it did seem twice as bright as the HD33.

Next, the color was normal with the Monster glasses. The new glasses still had completely washed out colors. Same using either the new or old emitter. I can't imagine that any emitter firmware or settings would fix this color issue.

Things were looking fantastic, until I got to the Lorax scene from the DTS demo disk. CROSSTALK! - and bad. The colored flowers/dandelions were a complete blurry mess. I noticed that I was using the new emitter at the time. Switched to the Monster emitter - this one was loaded with the delay and duty-cycle settings that someone posted on this site (1150,89 I think). Crosstalk completely gone!

Other observations:
- seems to be a lot of light leakage from the front air vents, but from the way the plastic is constructed, I don't think it is directed at the screen
- contrast seems improved from the HD33 - no measurements, just subjectively
- fairly quiet projector - improved from the HD33
- settings from the 3D preset in 3D mode keep reverting back to default settings when switching from 2D to 3D, the settings in the User preset seems to hold
- pity they left out the 12V trigger, but I can work around that
- video sync still painfully slow - like 30 seconds sometimes to lock into 3D mode
- RF glasses sometimes take 5-10 seconds to sync after the video locks in, the HD33 would sync the glasses in 1-2 seconds typically

Overall, I am now very pleased with the projector. Fantastic bright, crosstalk-free 3D picture.
Now, I just have to figure out the issue with the new glasses.
eozen81 likes this.
post #185 of 619 Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I have had the HD25-LV for a little over a week now. Have been holding off on posting my impressions until figuring out what was going on.

I also picked up the newer RF glasses - 3DNow version from consignia.ca. I was previously using the HD33 with the Optoma RF glasses, but sold this a while back. Both of these projectors are for 3D only.

Initially, was not pleased at all. Brightness did not seem any better than the HD33 if at all. The color was completely messed up. Almost colorless - kind of like looking at a black and white image with a slight yellowish tint. 3D depth seemed OK.

Fortunately, I had an old Monster 3D glasses and emitter kit around and some more time to do some testing.

First, dynamic black has to be OFF. Brilliant color also at the lowest setting, but dynamic black seemed to be the big culprit. Brighter, much improved picture. Subjectively, it did seem twice as bright as the HD33.

Next, the color was normal with the Monster glasses. The new glasses still had completely washed out colors. Same using either the new or old emitter. I can't imagine that any emitter firmware or settings would fix this color issue.

Things were looking fantastic, until I got to the Lorax scene from the DTS demo disk. CROSSTALK! - and bad. The colored flowers/dandelions were a complete blurry mess. I noticed that I was using the new emitter at the time. Switched to the Monster emitter - this one was loaded with the delay and duty-cycle settings that someone posted on this site (1150,89 I think). Crosstalk completely gone!

Other observations:
- seems to be a lot of light leakage from the front air vents, but from the way the plastic is constructed, I don't think it is directed at the screen
- contrast seems improved from the HD33 - no measurements, just subjectively
- fairly quiet projector - improved from the HD33
- settings from the 3D preset in 3D mode keep reverting back to default settings when switching from 2D to 3D, the settings in the User preset seems to hold
- video sync still painfully slow - like 30 seconds sometimes to lock into 3D mode
- RF glasses sometimes take 5-10 seconds to sync after the video locks in, the HD33 would sync the glasses in 1-2 seconds typically

Overall, I am now very pleased with the projector. Fantastic bright, crosstalk-free 3D picture.
Now, I just have to figure out the issue with the new glasses.

Thanks for the Detailed review.
What glasses and emitter would you suggest with this HD 25 LV . Would there be cross talk with the Optoma emitter and the optoma 3d RF glasses ?
post #186 of 619 Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant View Post

Thanks for the Detailed review.
What glasses and emitter would you suggest with this HD 25 LV . Would there be cross talk with the Optoma emitter and the optoma 3d RF glasses ?

Well, like I said, I am sure the first generation Optoma glasses and emitter work fine.

The newer version is not working for me. I will keep working on it - other emitter settings specifically - to see if I can get them to work.

I heard from tucsondave that he was able to use dynamic black/brilliant color if he modified the emitter settings. At least I know there is a way where it works great for me.
Will keep experimenting to optimize.
post #187 of 619 Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Well, like I said, I am sure the first generation Optoma glasses and emitter work fine.

The newer version is not working for me. I will keep working on it - other emitter settings specifically - to see if I can get them to work.

I heard from tucsondave that he was able to use dynamic black/brilliant color if he modified the emitter settings. At least I know there is a way where it works great for me.

This is just great. So the average user cant use Dynamic black/brilliant color. Cant use the most recent 3D RF glasses with the newest emitter.
What was the F&^%#@G point in making such a projector. Especially when the LV model doesn't brighten up the 3D picture...

This projector is and could be potentially a nightmare for newbies. When one calls Optoma all their technical support says oh
this has just been released they don't know enough about it etc etc.

Think this maybe time to look at other user friendly projectors where everything works smoothly. Where you don't need
a PHD is making the functions work that should be working in the first place.
post #188 of 619 Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does anyone know the differences between the HD25, and HD25-LV?

I would like to understand how they are rated 2000 and 3200 lumens yet they share the same bulb. Power consumption is the same for both and both run at 26db - all according to info on Optoma's spec sheets.
post #189 of 619 Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought the power usage was higher. Have to recheck that. The speakers are a whopping 6 watts more. Maybe it was designed for portable use. Who's going to use the speakers anyway? I was also surprised to see it uses the same bulb.
post #190 of 619 Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:

My original Optoma glasses (Model 3D-RF) and model ZF2100 both work with my BC100 emitter upgraded to BC100E v1.05.004.
td
post #191 of 619 Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was able to correct my issues with the newer glasses by changing the settings on the emitter.
Feel kind of stupid now that I did not fiddle with that earlier.
With the HD33, both the projector and glasses worked fine at the default settings, and I never made any changes.
This projector is going to need some work to get all the settings optimized.
Just mounted the Prismasonic lens I had laying around.
Now I have a dual projector, dual lens setup.eek.gif
post #192 of 619 Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Just got word today, that the projector won't ship until the end of May mad.gif
post #193 of 619 Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hi,i sit at a 4,5 meters distance.

1.how big exactly can the size of the image get with that distance?
2.are there other projectors that can give a bigger size from that distance,than this projector?
(bigger is better!wink.gif
post #194 of 619 Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, how does the center line of the lens correlate to the projected image (offset) on this model? For a table/shelf mount, does the center line of the lens need to be level with the bottom of the screen? Slightly above or below it?

Also, how is there such a huge lumens discrepancy between the stock and LV models when they appear to use the same lamp? What's the catch here?
post #195 of 619 Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM

there's an offset. the calculator on the website should tell you. For ceiling mounted, with a 120" screen, the offset is 9 inches, from lens to top of image.
post #196 of 619 Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbill View Post

there's an offset. the calculator on the website should tell you. For ceiling mounted, with a 120" screen, the offset is 9 inches, from lens to top of image.

Appreciate the response. Yes I found the offset (116%), but have no idea how to apply it to a real world scenario. Optomausa doesn't seem to have a calculator, they just embed projectorcentral's basic distance/size/zoom calculator which doesn't seem to handle offsets or anything.
post #197 of 619 Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM

use the calculator for the HD-33. for some reason the 25 and 25-LV calculators aren't "complete". They don't show ceiling/floor option, so it doesn't show the offset. The physical dimensions of the HD-33 are different, but the throw calculations are the same.
post #198 of 619 Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You can get exact calculations for all parameters by using my calculator and selecting the hd33.

www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

An even MUCH better version of this calculator is going to be released by me shortly, but been held up at work. Hopefully this week.
The Optoma hd-25 will be included in my updated release.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #199 of 619 Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Greetings to all you HD25 owners. I've pretty much settled on this model vs the W1070 due to the throw distance.

I have a quick question about 3D....do I have to purchase the emitter for 3D to work? I'd also love to hear suggestions for the best way to watch 3D on this thing, with additional costs being a consideration.
post #200 of 619 Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 PM

Yes you need to purchase emitter and glasses separately
post #201 of 619 Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

Yes you need to purchase emitter and glasses separately
The sales rep at Projector People said you only have to buy the emitter if you want to use IR glasses and that you can use DLP glasses out of the box. I think I'm gonna go with their advice.
post #202 of 619 Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM

Is anyone using the 3DTV Corp glasses with their HD25? I picked up a $20 pair of Sainsonic glasses and a 2-pack of the 3DTV Corp glasses (based on all the good reviews here and amazon). The Sainsonic's work great, they're just not the most comfortable. The 3DTV Corp glasses are comfortable but I guess they aren't synching with the HD25. Watching Avatar and there's no 3D effect at all. I tried both pairs. They're definitely powered on and I've tried hitting the power button while the movie is playing to change left/right polarity. I can swap between the Sainsonics and the 3DTV Cop's during the same scene and the Sainsonic's work fine, so it's not the display. I'm hoping someone else ran into this issue and found a solution or these 2 are going back.

3DTV Corp glasses

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G2VJM6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sainsonic glasses

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVUNZUU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #203 of 619 Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Can you please explain how you can work around the trigger control? I'm going to evaluate the HD25, but lack of trigger is a real bummer. TY

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #204 of 619 Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Is this projector the successor of the HD33? How do the two compare?
post #205 of 619 Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

Can you please explain how you can work around the trigger control? I'm going to evaluate the HD25, but lack of trigger is a real bummer. TY

I have multiple triggers from my Lumagen Radiance and AV processor which can be controlled by serial/IP control to trigger my screen.
post #206 of 619 Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 AM

hi all,

so I'm as new as it gets at this... first time projector buyer, and i'm mostly interested in the 3D aspect, gaming more so than movies. that said i decided to go for the optoma HD25, for various reasons, mainly price, but also, I read that the Benq w1070 has a tendency to lose glasses sync when you are sitting closer than 9 feet.

My setup would be as follows,

i'm putting the projector in my room (not too big, 10' by 14') which i can get to about 5fl during the day (1fl at night) so quite dark [for a room that was never really designed for anything like this] My main concern is that the maximum throw i can get is 9 ft, at this distance the projected screen will be 83" diagonally. I havn't found any user experiences i can relate to on the internet with this projector at that close a range. I've read that it is a particularly bright projector, maybe even too bright? should i have any concerns at having such a small projected screen?

cheers for any help given
post #207 of 619 Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

Is anyone using the 3DTV Corp glasses with their HD25? I picked up a $20 pair of Sainsonic glasses and a 2-pack of the 3DTV Corp glasses (based on all the good reviews here and amazon). The Sainsonic's work great, they're just not the most comfortable. The 3DTV Corp glasses are comfortable but I guess they aren't synching with the HD25. Watching Avatar and there's no 3D effect at all. I tried both pairs. They're definitely powered on and I've tried hitting the power button while the movie is playing to change left/right polarity. I can swap between the Sainsonics and the 3DTV Cop's during the same scene and the Sainsonic's work fine, so it's not the display. I'm hoping someone else ran into this issue and found a solution or these 2 are going back.
]

None of my older DLP Link glasses from my HD33 worked. (Including 3dtv Corp)
The HD 25 uses a refresh rate of 144 Hz in 3D mode instead of 120.
I had to adjust the emitter timing on my Optoma RF glasses for them to work properly.

td
post #208 of 619 Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

None of my older DLP Link glasses from my HD33 worked. (Including 3dtv Corp)
The HD 25 uses a refresh rate of 144 Hz in 3D mode instead of 120.
I had to adjust the emitter timing on my Optoma RF glasses for them to work properly.

td
Once I converted the files to m2ts, burned them and threw them in the PS3, I was able to get 3D to work with the 3DTV Corp glasses. They just aren't cooperating with Stereoscopic Player. It's a pain, but they're more comfortable than the Sainsonics, so I guess I'll just keep using the PS3.
post #209 of 619 Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

Greetings to all you HD25 owners. I've pretty much settled on this model vs the W1070 due to the throw distance..

Just curious: why do you want a longer throwing distance? Is it just the setup of your room, the type of screen you have or something else? I'd think the shorter the throw the better.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #210 of 619 Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

Just curious: why do you want a longer throwing distance? Is it just the setup of your room, the type of screen you have or something else? I'd think the shorter the throw the better.

The setup of the room. I would have to mount the W1070 3 feet closer and that would require making a new hole in the ceiling for all the cabling and then re-running them...in my attic in the middle of Texas summer...in a tiny crawl space. Plus it would be hanging right in the middle of the room's ceiling and very noticeable.

The Optoma is mounted directly above a ceiling fan and directly below the ceiling hole/cabling, so it turned out to be an almost perfect replacement for my Pro8200.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page