Originally Posted by cal87
I have had the HD25-LV for a little over a week now. Have been holding off on posting my impressions until figuring out what was going on.
I also picked up the newer RF glasses - 3DNow version from consignia.ca. I was previously using the HD33 with the Optoma RF glasses, but sold this a while back. Both of these projectors are for 3D only.
Initially, was not pleased at all. Brightness did not seem any better than the HD33 if at all. The color was completely messed up. Almost colorless - kind of like looking at a black and white image with a slight yellowish tint. 3D depth seemed OK.
Fortunately, I had an old Monster 3D glasses and emitter kit around and some more time to do some testing.
First, dynamic black has to be OFF. Brilliant color also at the lowest setting, but dynamic black seemed to be the big culprit. Brighter, much improved picture. Subjectively, it did seem twice as bright as the HD33.
Next, the color was normal with the Monster glasses. The new glasses still had completely washed out colors. Same using either the new or old emitter. I can't imagine that any emitter firmware or settings would fix this color issue.
Things were looking fantastic, until I got to the Lorax scene from the DTS demo disk. CROSSTALK! - and bad. The colored flowers/dandelions were a complete blurry mess. I noticed that I was using the new emitter at the time. Switched to the Monster emitter - this one was loaded with the delay and duty-cycle settings that someone posted on this site (1150,89 I think). Crosstalk completely gone!
- seems to be a lot of light leakage from the front air vents, but from the way the plastic is constructed, I don't think it is directed at the screen
- contrast seems improved from the HD33 - no measurements, just subjectively
- fairly quiet projector - improved from the HD33
- settings from the 3D preset in 3D mode keep reverting back to default settings when switching from 2D to 3D, the settings in the User preset seems to hold
- pity they left out the 12V trigger, but I can work around that
- video sync still painfully slow - like 30 seconds sometimes to lock into 3D mode
- RF glasses sometimes take 5-10 seconds to sync after the video locks in, the HD33 would sync the glasses in 1-2 seconds typically
Overall, I am now very pleased with the projector. Fantastic bright, crosstalk-free 3D picture.
Now, I just have to figure out the issue with the new glasses.