Watching Superbowl with OTA Digital Antenna & Viewsonic Pro8200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We cut the cord last year and only use our Digital Over the air antenna to catch live sports on our TV. I would like to watch the Superbowl with our Viewsonic Pro8200 projector.

I understand I am missing the tuner component (in my TV) that would provide the video out. Can someone point me to a way to watch superbowl with the OTA antenna and my projector? The more economical the solution is, the more kudos to you. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthiik View Post

We cut the cord last year and only use our Digital Over the air antenna to catch live sports on our TV. I would like to watch the Superbowl with our Viewsonic Pro8200 projector.

I understand I am missing the tuner component (in my TV) that would provide the video out. Can someone point me to a way to watch superbowl with the OTA antenna and my projector? The more economical the solution is, the more kudos to you. :-)

Google any of these terms "OTA DTV Reciever", OTA HDTV tuner" "OTA HDTV converter"
Sign up for a 3 month deal with a cable or satellite provider, then drop it when the deal is over.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 AM

We have basic cable that includes about 50 analogue channels and the major network digital HD channels that would otherwise be picked up through an antenna. Thankfully our provider does not require those little digital converter boxes!

I recently wanted to be able to watch all of these channels in the theater without changing the cable plan and came up with the following solution: I bought an HDHomerun Dual and attached it to the network. This worked very well right out of the box and is a smooth integration. I can now watch the digital channels on any computer on the network and have a really slick guide through Windows Media Center. I do recommend attaching the computer to the network via a hard wired connection unless you have very good wireless performance. If you have an HTPC or any other computer that can easily connect to your receiver, this is a great option with only a small, one time cost.

For the analogue channels, I took an old DVD/VCR combo player and attached it to the receiver (and plugged it into coax cable from the wall). This was a free option for me, since I had the unused DVD/VCR player sitting around. The video is only composite and the audio is only stereo, but this doesn't matter much since the source is low quality.

The only minor gripe I have with this setup is that I have to switch receiver modes (between the media PC and VCR) if I am flipping between an analogue and digital source. This is a very minor inconvenience for me.

If you have an HTPC, you could add an internal TV tuner that can handle digital and analogue broadcasts and then have access to all of your channels from the Media Center software. The cost will be about the same, but that tuner will only be for the HTPC.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 AM

I assume you have a laptop (or desktop if push comes to shove).
You can get USB Digital Tuners for around $20, and connect the video to the projector. You probably want to use some speakers connected to the computer for the sound (rather then built in laptop speakers).
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
EPvision Model 205LE cheap reliable and along with OTA if you still have cable Internet you will be able to scan for unencripted TV 1080

Bohanna
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Liked: 52
Go on amazon and look up Magnavox HDD dvd recorder with digital tuner. There are various models from $250 up.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ok, I have a pro8200 and I do use OTA tuner to watch stuff on the pro8200, superbowl , last year.

I bought a homerun hd tuner.http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Digital-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce It's pretty cheap, do a search on amazon or newegg. It's a network tuner, so it's good for all your pc's and anything that uses tuner, like 360.

Now, I did have windows 7 media center, and now windows 8 media center, to record and watch tv on the pro8200.

Now, you might have to set the pro8200 to 720p or 1080i when watching ota tv, I do, because it studders if you don't for me. I think the signal is 720p anyway, so in 360 or pc, when I watch OTA , I switch to 1080i. No studdering and it looks great.

Maybe others will post different tuner, but , the homerun hd is very popular and has tons of reviews. 2 tuners or 3 tuners in each unit, there are different versions of it. Read amazon reviews to get a feel for it. 79 dollars for the basic model, I think.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM

I just bought my PRO8200 back in December, and ran into the same situation as you. I also "cut the cord" a few years back and occasionally use my OTA antenna to watch big games such as the Super Bowl.

I had an Acer Revo that I bought awhile ago to use as an HTPC so I just bought a coax to USB TV Tuner card off Amazon for $50 plugged it in, use Windows Media Center in Window 7 to run it, and then patch it into the back of my tuner to output the audio and then relay the picture (up the wall and across the ceiling) to my projector. Overall it works pretty decent. I would say if I didn't have the HTPC laying around I would definitely go with a product that doesn't require the PC as listed above, just for ease of use. I just didn't want to spend the money on when when I knew I could make it work with what I had on hand.

Good luck!!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM

When I first installed my projector I used a VCR (~320i resolution). Next I upgraded to a Magnavox HDD dvd recorder (~480P resolution) with an increase in resolution over the VCR. The final upgrade was to a HTPC with 4 tuners (1080i). Silicon dust Homerun is another solution. Of course I also needed 3 different cables for the 3 solutions, but I ran all the cables except VGA when installing the projector.

Hope this helps

Robert

------------------
Robert
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page