Epson 3020e... few questions (wireless HDMI in particular), my first projector! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

I've finally plunked down and ordered my first projector .... had a few questions that I hope someone with this model could answer... smile.gif

(1) does the wireless HDMI absolutely require line-of-sight to the projector? If I have the wireless transmitter in the neighboring room (separately by drywall), would it still work?

(2) how long does it take to turn on the projector (not sure what's the typical warm-up time is for the average projector)?

(3) if the ceiling is 10' high, and the projecting wall 11' away ... is it possible with this projector to project the image towards the lower half of the wall .... or would I need to get the 5020UB model that offers more positioning adjustments?

(4) is there significant lag-time between pressing the Wireless HDMI button on the remote, and when the content actually plays?

(5) if 3D content is always fed to the projector as SBS or H-SBS, can the projector setting be made permanent to display the 3D image using this type of processing? (versus frame-packing)

(6) slightly off-topic ... can VLC output frame-packed 3D content? If so, do you just put your computer to display it full-screen and then export that image out via HDMI?

(7) with a lot of ambient light in the room, will the projected image still look decently viewable? smile.gif

(8) is the wireless HDMI fast enough to keep up with video game console?

* projector will be projected on a white painted wall (for aesthetic reasons ... trying to get away without having a screen ... I know it's a sin :P)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM

i have same question.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
shouldn't you have asked/answered some these questions before placing your order? lol
post #4 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
As previously posted, you should have asked these questions before you committed. Per Page 60 of the owners manual, available on the Epson website, the Transmitter MUST be in the same room. In fact, this is what it says....

Placing the WirelessHD Transmitter

Place the WirelessHD Transmitter so that the unit’s lights face the front of the projector.
Make sure the transmitter is within 32 feet (10 meters) of the projector and is located in the same room.

Note: The wireless transmission range may vary depending on the placement and size of surrounding objects.
Avoid placing the transmitter in an area with many large or metal objects and do not place the transmitter on a metal surface, as this may interfere with the signal. There must be a clear path between the projector and transmitter.

As for ambient light, any light impacting the screen with degrade the image. How "viewable" the image will be will be determined by the light in the room and how picky you are about the image. But consider this, look at the wall or screen under those conditions. That is as dark as your darkest scene will get. Projectors cannot create darkness in the presence of light. So if there is a significant amount of light, you will have NO shadow details, you will lose a great deal of contrast and the image just will not have any impact. It does not matter how much light the projector throws out. To put another way, if you have a lot of ambient light, your image will look like crap.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

shouldn't you have asked/answered some these questions before placing your order? lol

It's technically on back-order ... so I can cancel it before it ships...
post #6 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

As previously posted, you should have asked these questions before you committed. Per Page 60 of the owners manual, available on the Epson website, the Transmitter MUST be in the same room. In fact, this is what it says....

Placing the WirelessHD Transmitter

Place the WirelessHD Transmitter so that the unit’s lights face the front of the projector.
Make sure the transmitter is within 32 feet (10 meters) of the projector and is located in the same room.

Note: The wireless transmission range may vary depending on the placement and size of surrounding objects.
Avoid placing the transmitter in an area with many large or metal objects and do not place the transmitter on a metal surface, as this may interfere with the signal. There must be a clear path between the projector and transmitter.

I read the manual prior ... but I'm wondering if anyone had real-life experience with their WirelessHD implementation ... maybe it's not as strictly line-of-sight as they say it is?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I don't have any experience with it, but the manual leads me to believe that it is NOT RF and MUST be line-of-sight. It's your money and your call. Let us know how it goes. You may have trouble finding someone with experience if it's that new to the market.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 AM

Sometimes I sit on my coffee table while loading a disc or whatnot. When I do, I am sitting in front of the wireless hd transmitter, breaking line of sight, and still works. I doubt it would work from another room.

It takes about a minute to show a useful picture with turning on.

If wireless hd sync breaks (happens sometimes on the Sony s590,like when screen saver turns on) it takes between 5 and 30 seconds to reconnect.

I tried a mp4 of avatar h-sbs and couldn't figure out how to engage the 3d. (I found this thread while googling a solution)

The projector will be the top of your image if ceiling mounted. There might be some adjustments there, but I don't remember.

Ultimately I'm returning the projector and just getting the 3020 for $500 less. The wireless hd is too wonky... And the audio output from the wireless hd to my receiver (optical to Onkyo sr805) would only play in like neo 6 or thx. When I ran optical cable directly from the Sony blu-ray player it would do dts, etc. Sounds better.

I just watched Prometheus 3d blu-ray tonight and it was great. First 3d movie I've seen outside of theater.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 12
1) No idea, I did not get the "e" version.

2) Approximately from memory: it takes 30s to see a dim "EPSON", 1min to see your picture, 2min to get up to brightness.

3) If you can afford the 5020, get that for flexible aim (and better blacks). Otherwise you would have to mount the 3020 low with an extended ceiling mount, or put it low down on a table in front of the screen and project up. If you want to mount at the ceiling, not sure how far down you can angle the throw, but you will need to use digital correction which will reduce image quality. You can probably figure all this out with an Epson throw calculator.

5) Not that I figured out. I leave 3d on auto, and it works for Bluray. If I try and play a SBS, I need to put 3d mode from auto to side-by-side and press 3d. Then return it to auto when I am done.

6) I use VLC on a mac-mini for SBS 3d and it works perfectly. Just play full screen (you will see the side by side image) and do as in (5), and then turn on the glasses. Only problem is if you exit VLC full screen play, your PC screen will make your head explode in 3d! (since it overlaps the two halfs in 3d). Also need to move the UI in VLC to the left ... if you leave it centred, will be nuts trying to look at it and click with your mouse pointer ... or you need to close one eye to try and figure it out!

7) 3020 has very good brightness, subjective but with some ambient light will still look fine. A window with the sun beaming directly on the screen, not so much!

Very happy with my 3020 (especially for the price) so far!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

^ thanks a bunch for the answers! I decided to forgo the "e" model... and just ceiling mount it (maybe 3-6" from 9ft ceiling).... and point the projector downward and deal with keystoning :|
post #11 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/general/opticalkeystone.php Try to not use keystone. Check the Epson calc and see where you need it placed, for the screen size you want. You don't point it down, but mount it upside down if you do a ceiling mount.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h502020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page