Soon-To-Be First-Time PJ Owner: Couple Of Quick Not-So-FAQ's... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I've searched for a few PJ FAQ's but none really seem to address a few particulars I have:

1. Do I need a UPC? Seems cooling the bulb properly upon shut down is important, and of course this would be a reality most times simply putting the unit into "standby". However, upon power failure (I don't lose power often, but it DOES happen on occasion, of course) how bad of a beating would a bulb in a moden PJ like a benq1070 take? I don't have a big problem spending a few more bucks on one if need be.

2. I'd like to be able to EASILY dismount the PJ for the occasional movie outdoors when the weather is agreeable. And while I'm thankful that it appears to be pretty easy just detaching the power cord and HDMI (I plan on purchasing another cord for outdoor use) I'm wondering how easy it is to take down and replace the PJ. Thankfully my ceilings only 7 '2" so I can easily reach it.

A. I've heard of "easy release" mechanisms on some mounts: are they reliable and indeed easy?

B. If so, any low profile, dependable units that don't break the bank (was looking at THIS but hoping not to spend $90+ http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRG-UNV-W-Precision-Universal-Projector/product-reviews/B000WBLGAK/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending)?

C. Any DIY options? I'm pretty handy. I've considered constructing a shelf to hang from the ceiling but that just seems overly obtrusive (in my app), and honestly, not the best/easiest way to adjust the PJ.

I'm going to measure it to see if I can simply put a shelve on my back wall (I'm guessing about 11' away) but the problem that I run into seems to be that the 1070 won't throw an image SMALL enough (I can only go to 86/86" diagonally) at that distance). I think I need to be about 9' away which would requite moving the screen forward which could look quite goofy.

thanks in advance, I'm jacked about getting started!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats on the new projector. I too recently bought one, and have been enjoying having my own personal movie theater. While I'm still quite new to the whole home theater world, I'll give my thoughts, from what I've experienced so far.

As far as the UPC, I don't have one, and I guess I'm willing to take the chance of something going wrong if the power were to fail. Certainly not a bad idea though. Others will have to chime in on how damaging it would be to the bulb.

I bought a cheap projector ceiling mount off Amazon for like $40 (http://www.amazon.com/PCMD-Projector-Ceiling-Viewsonic-Pro8200/dp/B0048HBGU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359734883&sr=8-1&keywords=viewsonic+pro8200+ceiling+mount) for my Viewsonic PRO8200. It works great, and is easy to just rotate the threaded coupler and bring the PJ down. Then remove three screws and your off. Might be a little more labor intensive than your looking for, but for me, I don't plan on taking the PJ down that often.

I would definitely suggest you mount to the ceiling vs. putting a shelf up, as it will look much cleaner. I would suggest setting your PJ on a small ladder or something to test out placement, and centering then once you've got that figured out mark the spot in the ceiling and mount from there. I had to climb into my attic to cut a hole and run the power and HDMI signal then drill through the header in the wall and run it down the inside of the wall and out another hole to connect to my amp. All in all not very difficult and you mentioned you were pretty handy. My screen is about 88" diagonal and I sit about 9.5-10' away from it. It is PLENTY big for that sitting distance. I then crafted a DIY screen out of 1x4 wrapped in black felt and stretched black out cloth and it all turned out really good.

Good luck and enjoy your new PJ!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page