HD80 - Color Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try and keep this short. I have had an Optoma HD-80 projector for 3 years now. Ever since I bought it this problem has happened and every year it went back under warranty to get fixed and was absent for at leat 6 weeks each time. This year the same issue has happened and I have no warranty. I have tried to argue that it should be covered as it's the same issue over and over again. I'm flogging a dead horse.

So, I decided I would be a smary pants and fix it myself. The color wheel mechanics/bearing was physically damaged as it would squeak as well as the color flickering and the red colour being pink. I ordered a GENUINE replacement color wheel from a guy in China from eBay at a good price. I have now fitted the new color wheel - squeaky noise gone however......

The problem I have been left with is.......blotchy patches appear and sometimes flickering for a short time. I am forced to go into the hidden menu and change the color wheel index from 20 something to 30 something and then it looks good. After 20 minutes, the blotchyness comes back etc and I am forced to re-enter the hidden menu and turn the color wheel index back down again to 20 something to make the screen watchable again. Seems like the projector behaves differently when it's cold and warm. It's a nightmare!!!

I have tried the factory reset etc and it doesn't resolve the issue. I have read from other posts about the color wheel controller board. The other post say this could be faulty. Is that the little circuit board that the color wheel is attached to or is it something else?

Also, does anyone have the optimum display settings that I could use?

Any help that I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alan
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page