First Projector for $1200? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. First post here.
I am in the market for a projector. NEEDS to be LCD not DLP and needs to be on a tight budget.

I dont know the throw yet since im moving to a new home in Aug.

I was looking at the Epson 8350. I think it is my best bet on such a tight budget.

1) Will I need an IR extender if i plan to use it with a Logitech Harmony 650 remote?

2) What kind of ceiling mount should I get?

3) How will i get basic cable from the wall to an HDMI source? What is the cheapest way to do this without upgrading my cable package?

Thanks! Is this the best bang for my buck? Amazon has it for $1150....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Wait until Aug so you know how the projector will be used. Screen size room conditions, etc. If you buy something now and the it is not the right thing you will be bummed. You could also get a 8500ub/8700ub refurb for about that money, who know what you could get for $1200 in six months.

1. Why? You just point the remote at the PJ. If you can see the PJ no extended needed.

2. ?? One that hold your projector to the ceiling and fits your budget. I matters a lot more about properly installing the mount then which one. You can also rear shelf mount and coffee table mount.

3. From Coax? You need a Tuner of some sort. It is not cheap. 100-200+ or so as I recall. Look at products like Channel Master CM7001.

Have Fun!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Haha. Thanks!
And I gotta order something next week as soon as amazon process my refund cause I currently have no TV, sold it to help pay for the projector. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You sold your only tv to finance a projector that won't be in it's final resting place until another 7 to 8 months and you have a tight budget? I'd say buy a cheap tv for now. The Epson seems fine, but if it doesn't work in your new space, the majority of your budget is blown. Also it seems there will be quite a few new projectors coming out soon so you would have more options by the time you move in.

No one can give you reliable advice for a unknown room. It's your risk to take.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

You sold your only tv to finance a projector that won't be in it's final resting place until another 7 to 8 months and you have a tight budget? I'd say buy a cheap tv for now. The Epson seems fine, but if it doesn't work in your new space, the majority of your budget is blown. Also it seems there will be quite a few new projectors coming out soon so you would have more options by the time you move in.

No one can give you reliable advice for a unknown room. It's your risk to take.

I guess I learned my lesson. Next projector I get after college with be legit and expensive. I plan to order it as soon as I get my funds.
Amazon should receive my items back on Friday. How long do u think before my funds are returned?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Did you sell your tv or return it? Anyway Amazon will tell you when to expect your funds. A projector doesn't have to be expensive to be legit. It just needs to suit your purposes. Good luck on your future purchases.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Did you sell your tv or return it? Anyway Amazon will tell you when to expect your funds. A projector doesn't have to be expensive to be legit. It just needs to suit your purposes. Good luck on your future purchases.

Well I bought a Optima HD20 but decided its not for me. I am very sensitive to RBE. I also bought a "new" harmony 650 and it arrived destroyed. I plan to ship both back tomorrow and Amazon should have them by Friday. I hope my funds will be back early next week.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Take your funds you get back from the other purchases and get an Epson 8350!!!. I bought one 2 months ago used on Ebay for $900 and have no regrets!
You will not find another PJ on the market in the $1200 range or even under $1500 with a contrast ratio of 50000:1
and 2000 lumens.
If you are concerned about the throw distance, you only need about 12 feet for a 120" display. Even if you only have 8 feet you will still
get an almost 7 foot display. The lens shift also makes it easy to position the image where you want it. You won't be disappointed!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy2021 View Post

Well I bought a Optima HD20 but decided its not for me. I am very sensitive to RBE. I also bought a "new" harmony 650 and it arrived destroyed. I plan to ship both back tomorrow and Amazon should have them by Friday. I hope my funds will be back early next week.

The Optoma hd20 only has a 4x color wheel, also how much RBE you see depends on how bright you have the image, you need to get it under 20 fL. You could try the Benq w1070 as it has a 6x color wheel, but you will need an ND filter to tame the lumens Having a DLP too bright causes people to see more RBE than they normally would under proper conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page