Buying a used Epson Home Cinema 8350 - What to look out for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Ive found a really good deal on a used Epson HC 8350 for ≈ $595. I asked for a confirmation on the lamp hours and will get that later today and will post to the forum accordingly.

On inspection however, what are some signs I should look out for? If the lamp hours are good, is there still reason to put in additional $200 and buy a new one?

Tord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Since lamp hours can be reset, you really have no way to know, just how many hours will be on the lamp currently in the pj. So in the price, consider you'll have to buy a new bulb for it. If you don't need one after viewing it in action, then you've put off the time you'll need to buy one.

If you can't view it working, you may be getting a unit with bad convergence, and with no free support from epson. Something to consider. You also won't know if it was used in a smoke free environment or might have dust blobs that haven't been corrected. Alot of possible problems on buying a used unit, you can't actually see working.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Since lamp hours can be reset, you really have no way to know, just how many hours will be on the lamp currently in the pj. So in the price, consider you'll have to buy a new bulb for it. If you don't need one after viewing it in action, then you've put off the time you'll need to buy one.

If you can't view it working, you may be getting a unit with bad convergence, and with no free support from epson. Something to consider. You also won't know if it was used in a smoke free environment or might have dust blobs that haven't been corrected. Alot of possible problems on buying a used unit, you can't actually see working.

I would never buy one unseen either, but the question were more in the lines of what I should look for. As you say however, there are many variables going into this, and thus maybe its better to get a refurbished unit from Epson, then at least I can avoid the worst errors?

Thanks for the answer
T
post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

So apparently, the PJ has 357 hours on it, what's the forum verdict? Yes or no?

So... I ended up going for it. Have been using it for the past 4 days and this far nothing is wrong, and it works very well. Keeping fingers crossed for the lamp not to quit on me (although nothings pointing to the fact that it will (knock on wood.))
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page