Does anyone here worry about dust blobs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to owning a projector. I have a DLP projector but have already had experiences with the dust blob. At first I had no idea what they were. I noticed a few small perfectly round fingerprint looking circles only when the screen was completely black on the first projector that I had. I actually returned that projector for this reason because it was shipped to me with the dust blobs. My new one still has a tiny one that was also shipped to me that way but it's barely noticeable unless the screen is completely black and I really look for it.

I just don't want to become obsessed worrying or looking for these dust blobs. I checked into an online service that cleans projectors for like $200.00! That seems very unreasonable to me and I don't feel comfortable breaking into the projector to try and clean it myself if I get more dust blobs in the future. For all of you guys who have spent over $2,000 on a projector, do you ever worry or get concerned about getting dust blobs? Is there any good online service that will clean a projector for a reasonable price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I had dust blobs when I had LCD (Epson).
No blobs since I switched to JVC and Benq.
I think both have a sealed light path. The post I've read here is that it is very unlikely to get a dust blob on a seled but not impossible. The ones I remember had the blob when it was shipped not after use at home.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I love my Mits HC4900 3-LCD but it developed two dust blobs a few years ago (I'm at year 5 now I think) and worried myself to inaction about it i.e. the PJ is otherwise perfect and I don't want to touch it myself, or to trust it to a 3rd party for service.

So I've lived with the blobs and today yrs later the one is unnoticeable and the other is substantially diminished from initially (neither were ever bad enough for my wife to notice btw). I can only assume that the reason for this is that over time the internal heat of the pj has dried-up/burned-up/shrunk the blobs.

AFAIK the method for cleaning, if simply air-blasting doesn't do it, is identical to cleaning a digital camera sensor, where specialized materials are used to "blot" the sensor (or in my case the three LCD panels) and lift-off any impurities. Seems like a "clean room" process to me i.e. if I were to attempt it I would do so only in a bathroom where I'd removed the towels & such (left being only hard surfaces minimizing dust/lint in the air).

Do people here worry? Are you kidding? We at AVSforums worry about EVERYTHING relative to ours HTs! wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page