post #61 of 77 Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

What mount did you guys purchase?

I'm looking at the Chief RPMA181 probably, unless there is other solid advice. I want a solid mount for this projector.

I have it sitting on a wall mounted platform (actually for a small ~15" size CRT TV), so unfortunately I can't offer any advice on a mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 04-25-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 471
found a RPMA181 mount for $147 shipped from the final click
http://www.thefinalclick.com/Chief-RPMA181-Elite-Key-A-Ceiling-Mount-with-Projector-Specific-Interface-Bracket_p_126353.html?gclid=CMTE5uma_L0CFQQT7Aodk34AcQ

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #63 of 77 Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

What mount did you guys purchase?

I'm looking at the Chief RPMA181 probably, unless there is other solid advice. I want a solid mount for this projector.
Get the universal mount, not the projector specific one.

RPMAU from Chief.

There is ZERO reason to use the projector specific mount. None at all. When you get a new projector, keep the mount, realign it, and use it on the new projector.

Seriously, the interface specific brackets are a huge waste of money.

$100 shipped to your door:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIEF-RPMAU-/261459643605?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item3ce0358cd5

You're welcome. wink.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #64 of 77 Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks pretty decent! But too late - I already ordered the RPMA181 when I provided the link earlier. But I'm not too worried about it. I'm tired of my experience with the universal mounts. I've only ever bought cheap universals - but every mount I've ever tried (only experience is with cheapies) are junk, wobbly, hack jobs. Granted most of them were monoprice fodder - but I just want a nice solid mount this go round.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #65 of 77 Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

That looks pretty decent! But too late - I already ordered the RPMA181 when I provided the link earlier. But I'm not too worried about it. I'm tired of my experience with the universal mounts. I've only ever bought cheap universals - but every mount I've ever tried (only experience is with cheapies) are junk, wobbly, hack jobs. Granted most of them were monoprice fodder - but I just want a nice solid mount this go round.
It is not pretty decent - It's the best mount ever built, truly. I've compared it to about 15-20 different mounts, some costing almost as much, and it's better.

The projector specific versions are still very good, but only good with the one projector. The universal mounting plate that Chief came up with is extraordinary. Truly a breakthrough design for ease of use, flexibility, and outright sturdiness. Unlike anything you've had before. When you setup your 181 plate with the RPM mount, that sturdiness is exactly what the universal mount feels like. Seriously. Zero play, zero wobble, zero headaches.

Too late now of course. biggrin.gif Ah well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #66 of 77 Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 PM

Liked: 10
Visual apex is now at $2229 -350 rebate but B&H has moved up to $2349 before rebate wrong way! eek.gif
post #67 of 77 Old 04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmith507 View Post

Visual apex is now at $2229 -350 rebate but B&H has moved up to $2349 before rebate wrong way! eek.gif

I think VA dropped the price even more. I just checked my checking account and seen one charge for $2299.00 and then two $50 refunds making the total $2199.00, or $1849 after rebate.

I'm enjoying this new projector per se, but I do have to say that the 3D is awful on this projector. Not much protruding distance on objects and barely enough depth, no matter what settings I choose on the software player or the 3DBD player. It actually pales in comparison to 3D Vision, however, the 2D to 3D conversion on the AE8000U does a better job of doing pseudo 3D than any other 2D to 3D converter I used. Hower, certain background objects are doubled - not ghosted, doubled. I've never seen this on any of my movies I watched previously on my other 3D projectors (BenQ W710ST or Optoma GT720), nor my Acer 27" 3D monitor.

Plus, I don't think it's real 1080p 3D (Full 3D). The 3DBD player states "Full 3D" but when I select SBS from the PJ's 3D menu item, the screen refreshes, and the resolution is cut in 1/2 - meaning, the OSD menu is now twice as big as it is in 2D - making it only 1/2 width or 720p. If I'm doing something wrong, please enlighten me as I can't find much info on the 3D abilities of this projector - even on this forum. The "auto" setting for 3D doesn't seem to do anything. I have to select SBS in order to view the movie in 3D, otherwise I get an error message from the 3DBD player, or if viewing from the HTPC, I just see the double/SBS movie - which is great because I can use ANY video player on the computer to watch 3D with my saved 3D movies.

Normal view:

After selecting Side by Side:

post #68 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM

I tried adding to cart on VA and it's still coming up as $2229.00.. Maybe they accidentally credited you twice! I wish AGI had given me credit frown.gif

Damn VA for being in the same state (would have had to pay tax!) mad.gif lol

So for those buying this - I recommend VA over AGI as it seems they are more willing to price-refund.

As for the 3D part, I'm not sure how that works. My friend has this unit and he has to select 3D manually playing HOU or HSBS content from HTPC. He doesn't have a 3D BD player, so I can't speak for Full 3D content.
post #69 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

$2229 is better than $2299 that I was initially charged wink.gif

Yep, the 3D, doesn't matter whether it's a 720p (half) or a 1080p (full) 3D movie, you have to manually select the mode via the remote (in this case, it's Side by Side) and then the screen refreshes and it goes into 720p regardless - like in the pics above. Another annoying thing about this projector is a high pitch noise similar to what Plasma TV's make. I say it's more distracting than hearing the case fan or PJ fan - or even my oscillating fan. It's a nice PJ. I like the digital focus via the remote and the horizontal/vertical control via remote as well.
post #70 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

BishopLord,

Mine came in today. I'll account for my experiences tonight when I get home.

I don't think the fan should be making a high pitched annoying noise. Maybe you need a RMA.

The 3d on this unit is supposed to be active 3d - meaning full resolution. If it was only 720p I think we'd have read about that in reviews as a strong negative. I think you have either a setup issue or a failure of some sort.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #71 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

It's not a fan noise. It's an electric "white" noise sound similar to what a Plasma TV or an old CRT tv makes. Not sure if you know or not, but back in the day I could always tell the tv was on when I entered my house even if I didn't see it because of the sound it makes (tv with volume low, obviously, like when someone is watching something really late at night and you can see the TV flickering in the dark, but you can't hear what they're watching, but you can "hear" the sound the TV makes because it's ON, that noise).

Well, you'll see what I mean regarding 3D. I know what active 3D is and I know what half-resolution 3D is as well. This projector or at least my projector does not do full resolution. The 3D settings are: Auto, Side by Side, Over/Under and Native. Auto and Native does nothing - at least with my HTPC and my Panasonic 3DBD player. I have to manually set the PJ to SBS in order to view the 3D and selecting Auto or Native doesn't do anything when a 3D movie is playing. But anyhow, get yours set up and then let me know if yours makes that high pitch sound and has the issue with 3D (doubled image and half resolution(). The white noise ain't so loud that it's totally disturbing, but considering my old Epson didn't make this sound and was an LCD projector, I was expecting better for a PJ that cost twice as much, and was supposed to have full resolution 3D. At this rate, I would have been better off buying the replacement bulb for my Epson and sticking with the BenQ W710St for 3D. Unless totally broken, I hate doing RMA, especially on something this large and heavy and that had FREE shipping. I'm totally against having to pay to send back a broken item.

I'll give Panasonic or VA a call regarding the issue's I'm having. Maybe it's covered under warranty. I always forget about warranty.
post #72 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid I don't have sensitivity to higher frequencies, so if its over 16000 hz I probably won't hear it.

As to 3d I'll certainly check that out asap.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #73 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As to 3d I'll certainly check that out asap.
Just an FYI, regarding SBS 3D movie files (ripped to your computer - .mkv, etc.) you can use any video player (Windows Media Player, VLC, RealPlayer). Just play the movie like any other movie stored on your computer, and when it starts playing (you'll see the SBS images), press the 3D button on the remote, and select Side By Side. At this point, doesn't matter if it's a 720p or a 1080p 3D video, you'll see what I mean when the projector goes into 3D (it'll be half-resolution, like my screen shot above).
post #74 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I use a PS3 for my movie playback so I can only give you feedback on that. I've always felt like the quality is better from a PS3, Oppo, or higher quality dedicated player than from my HTPC. I have some demo clips on the HTPC - compliments of discs like scubasteve's or superleo - but I don't have any 3d material on the PC unless I use DVD fab to rip one of my disks --- but then I just don't really care to do that at all in comparison to just popping in the disk and having (in my opinion) a bit better quality playback picture. I have about 50 + short demo clips on my computer and I use them for quick demo material for guests, but to me it just looks better from the PS3 than my GTX 670 equipped HTPC. That's been my experience for years - way back to my bravo d1 dvd player. Dedicated players ---- for some reason ---- always seem to look better than my HTPC for playback...And you don't get any of those little jidders or frame skipping that sometimes occurs with EVERY HTPC I've ever seen - regardless of software. I've got an I7-4770K with a GTX 670 and it uses like a couple percentage points of processor playing back a movie -- - doesn't matter. Every once in a while it starts skipping frames and doing goofy stuff. That really annoys me so I just stick with a dedicated player.

lol - on second thought...

I may not be any help to you at all.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #75 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 PM

The noise was discussed in the a separate thread started back in 10/2013 of AVS. The member was impetigo. As I recall only about 2 members had this problem so I don't think it is typical. There are far more articles on this PJ than most and all say it is a quiet PJ and much quieter than the 5030 in high fan which is required on 5030 when in 3d mode.

Panasonic PT-AE8000U: high pitched whining issue is the name of the thread or just Google it and it will come up.

I searched for the side by side issue but did not find it. A while ago I read the PJ could not handle Side by side well but I don't remember where I saw it. Then some responded it does you just need to do this... I just don't remember what it was. Another felt it was not an issue if he had his payer do the work converting the signal. Basically the other modes worked fine but some issues on side by side.

From all my reading no one complained about the depth or 3d effect only an occasional crosstalk issue and not being bight as bright in 3d as the 5030.

Hope I am not boring you with something you already have read.
post #76 of 77 Old 04-29-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I setup the 8000 last night. I don't hear anything high pitched at all, but again my ears wouldn't pick it up. My 2 year old and my 5 year old didn't hear anything either though, nor did my wife - so I think ours doesn't make any high pitched sound.

I did the convergence test here:
http://www.aaarpinball.com/Miscellaneous/p1080.htm

perfect... Not one pixel off on any of the colors that I can tell. I'm just projecting on a painted wall until my screen comes in, but if it isn't perfect - it's so darn near I don't care.

It is a better picture than the Epson 8350, and better blacks, but it isn't a blow out. My wife said it looked a little bit better, than the old one, but the upgrade in picture alone wasn't worth the price she said. I'm not sure I'm in agreement. It is probably a 20-30% improvement in picture quality if I had to try to put numbers around it. The auto transition between 16x9 and 1.778 is nothing short of SWEET! I love that function and that alone probably makes this projector a winner. The other point of note is that the black bars on the top and bottom are GONE in 2.35:1 mode even in my room with white tile ceilings. The Epson's bars were easily seen when zoomed into 2.35:1 mode. So that's a huge difference. I'm not sure if the projector is blocking that light output with a shutter or what - but you would never be able to tell you were over zoomed in to achieve the 2.35:1 mode even without velvet treatment. That's really nice. The projector is seemingly very high quality made, everything reeks of quality compared to the Epson 8350. I had a lot of quality issues with my Epson 8350, I was on my fifth RMA after buying one new from bestbuy. Therefore I never felt very comfortable recommending that model. My friend carp was on his sixth one. By contrast this projector seems like a high end Cadillac. It has th.e ability to do the 'soap opera' effect using mode 1, mode 2, or mode 3. I kind of enjoy that effect. My wife hates it. It's the same smoothing that occurs on a modern HDTV where the actors look too real and it looks like home movie filmed on a set rather than a movie. Luckily for some you can turn it off in the menus, but again - I like it. I like mode 1 the best so far, which is the lightest integration of the smoothing, and the default shipping mode on my projector. Text looks better on this projector than on my Epson 8350, so that's nice since I use it a lot as a desktop screen for browsing and casual computer use. The focus is better, and adjusted by the remote which is nice. You don't have to get out of your chair! tongue.gif

I watched Gravity in 3d last night and wasn't that impressed with the 3d. It's cool, but still gimmicky and I'm not sure I have it setup properly yet - at least I hope not. There were 'shadows' on the left and right of a figure which is called crosstalk. I haven't messed with trying to fix it yet, but out of the box the crosstalk was annoying with the super cheap incrediview glasses I ordered in the post above. (all I have working at the time) My PS3 came up with a dialogue when I first turned on the projector that asked me to enter my screen size for 3d projector use. I've not seen that before. I set it at 114" because that's my 16x9 size. But I watch movies at 2.35:1 mode and that size is 144" 2.35:1 - so I'm not sure what the proper setting would be. I noticed the projector also has a menu to choose projector screen size. I chose 120" on it because it only lets you choose the size in increments of 20" (PS3 lets you choose size in increments of 1"). I'm not sure if this setting may have been causing me grief because when I made the size obviously wrong on the projector menu it introduced more of these shadows, so this may be something I can fix with some tinkering. I may also be that I'm not projecting on a true projector screen and just the wall until my screen comes in later this week, I'll see I guess. The 3d is definitely 1080p from the PS3. SBS does seem to reduce the resolution when I switched it to that mode for just a second - but then I don't use that and don't know anything about SBS, and it really messed up the 3d experience because the PS3 was not using that type of 3d.

Anyway - I'm happy with the purchase so far in my 3 or 4 hours of limited use last night and first movie watch.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #77 of 77 Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 AM

I notice you have the glasses set to light. Everything I've read states to use only medium or dark or you get cross talk. cool.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page