Same old question Epson 8700ub or 5010? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this has been asked a lot, I’ve read most of the posts. I bought the 8700ub with a 1.1 gain screen. I set it up and was very disappointed. Old setup, a 7 year old 720 Epson (Home Cinema 400) with a Winter Mt. painted screen. Room is light controlled, ceiling mount 11’6” from screen, seating 10’. I tried many setup calibrations, my own and many posted here. The BluRay image was flat, the blacks looked good in the upper and lower bars but the detail in the shadows was HORRIBLE. While playing PS3 games you couldn’t read the names on jerseys etc. Viewing is 65 percent BluRay or Vudu, 20 Directv, 15 games. Did I get a dud or would the 5010 perform better for shadows and PS3? I sent the 8700 back and have the option of another 8700 or another projector. If not the 5010 what might be better. It would have to have lens shift, no DLP, doesn’t have to be 3D, under $2100 and I like my blacks with detail.
Thanks Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
In genreal is seems like you got a dud, did you ask on this projectors thread for ideas? Dynamic iris? Cinema video modes? Did you read any of the 5010 reviews? I general I take it to be an incremental improvement.

The 8700ub should be light years ahead of your old 720p.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Really? Depends on what the Gamma is set to, etc. I had to properly set up and calibrate my own 8700UB, and man..... I have to honestly admit.... it puts out better shadow detail than My CRT did! Yes, the CRT could do BLACK, but it also needed an external Gamma boost to get ANY low level detail back.

THAT really surprised me. But it did take some (a lot of) reading to find the best settings for my sources. The 5010 should be only an incremental upgrade being a bit brighter AND 3D over the 8700. But that thing is NO slouch! It also blows the 720p panasonic I have into the next solar system. VAST improvement in just a few years.

Welcome to the darkside.....
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page