Epson 3020 issue. Anyone having a similar experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I am having an issue and wonder if anyone is noticing something similar. I use my Epson as my computer monitor and play movies / surf the web through my internet. I've noticed on certain webpages, my projector loses image completely almost as if it is trying to locate a source. No light coming out of the projector. Within about 10 seconds the image comes back on. I've noticed it does it more on webpages that have graphs / charts. Zillow does it to me very often just as I'm scrolling down the page. I'm wondering if this is a setting on my video card or if this might be a projector issue? Any help or advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I get the same thing with my 5010 when surfing the web on certain web pages. I think it may be related to the graphics card and the way it provides HDMI as this doesn't happen with VGA (well not that I've noticed anyway). Like you it really only happens with webpages, doesn't happen with movies. It seems the PJ loses sync for a moment.
Maybe it's a refresh rate problem as the blanking seems to be the projector attempting to resync. Also I have noticed when this happens I can see some noise or what looks like interference on the webpage. From experience this looks like a sync problem.
To get rid of the problem I have to turn the projector off then on. There doesn't seem to be a way to maually force the projector to resync like my old NEC could.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. If its is truly a sync problem, then mine seems to sync back up automatically within 5 to 10 seconds. It doesn't happen often but Zillow was the first site I noticed that it kept happening over and over. I just got off the phone with tech support over at Epson and they told me it is because the page has too much data. I'm not buying that. I've noticed it intermittently on other sites but I couldn't tell you what they were. If someone could figure out what it causing it maybe we can adjust some settings on our video cards to get it to stop. Anyone else got more knowledge on this?
post #4 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaguy20 View Post

Thanks for the reply. If its is truly a sync problem, then mine seems to sync back up automatically within 5 to 10 seconds. It doesn't happen often but Zillow was the first site I noticed that it kept happening over and over. I just got off the phone with tech support over at Epson and they told me it is because the page has too much data. I'm not buying that. I've noticed it intermittently on other sites but I couldn't tell you what they were. If someone could figure out what it causing it maybe we can adjust some settings on our video cards to get it to stop. Anyone else got more knowledge on this?

Yes mine resyncs too, but what I mean is that to stop the problem I need to turn the projector off and then back on. Then it usually stops.
Also that excuse from Epson is Lame. It's the graphics card and pc handling the data, not the PJ. The PJ is merely rendering the output, so it shouldn't mater what is on the screen as long as the output is what the PJ can handle. Not only that it's not even fast moving data. It's a HD projector for gawds sake. rolleyes.gif

The problem may also lie with the cable, a better cable may relieve the problem. I have a long 7m cable which may contribute to the problem. Incidentally I have also noticed any kind of electrical interference can blank the projector momentarily. My projector screen is motorized and on some occasions if I quickly reverse the motion of the screen it can create a pulse that blanks the projector.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 12
I have a mac, and no such issue with my 3020.
The web page "has to much data" sounds like nonsense, how can it possibly be pushing more pixels to the projector than a fast moving HD movie scene!!!

What problem I did have (in case a clue):
Had a rocketfish HDMI switcher, and there was a blank screen with my Cisco PVR unless I connected/disconnected cables, mac sometimes flickered, and inputs would sometimes not show unless I switched to another input and back.

Got rid of that POS switcher, and got some cheap no name Chinese HDMI switcher from the corner surplus electronic store (knowing I could easily return it if it did not help), and now everything works perfectly!

Make sure to try with a <15ft straight HDMI-HDMI cable with nothing in between to narrow it down.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I moved my computer closer and used a 6 foot cable and I'm still having issues. I've also noticed that now it happens randomly. It even happened when I was just doing a powerpoint slideshow. I wasn't even online. I think I might have a faulty projector. Unless it something with the video card but I just bought it and not sure what settings it might be.
post #7 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 15
I would ask what is your computer's refresh rate??

I believe you need to run your video card at the same rate as the projector.

Yes it is 1080I but it is also not at 60 HZ: the video rate and lots of computers will run 70, 80 and 100 HZ.

Could that be your problems?

I have had video cards shut down monitors with too fast refresh rates...

Rich

post #8 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have my refresh rate set at 60. I think that's the highest my video card will go. The projector says it can handle it 24, 50, or 60 I think. I was just on Amazon and it kept doing it over and over. Now I try it and can't get it to do it again. I'm not sure what is causing it.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Well that was my only idea.

Rich

post #10 of 29 Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I called epson and they are going to send me a new one. Hopefully that is the issue.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Sadly I am learning that Epson support is fairly limited, my first model a 3010 would not work with a Component to SVGA system that three other brands did work with.

Instead of knowing it is a flaw of their design, they send a replacement. It too would not work. Nor did my third model a 3020, they are incompatible to that set up.

Their answer to many problems is send a replacement, without really knowing it will fix the problem.

Rich

post #12 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaguy20 View Post

I have my refresh rate set at 60. I think that's the highest my video card will go. The projector says it can handle it 24, 50, or 60 I think. I was just on Amazon and it kept doing it over and over. Now I try it and can't get it to do it again. I'm not sure what is causing it.

More info, I can recreate this problem by simply opening in Windows 7 the folder Windows/System32/ making it full screen and then using the slider to move the text left and right. The screen will blank when I do this. My display card shows the same usuable refresh rates as you. At 60hz it blanks, if I change to 24hz or 50hz it's fine and never blanks. If I minimize from fullscreen to a window at 60hz it doesn't blank.
So to me it is a refresh rate problem, possibly my graphics card not being able to refresh the amount data on the screen fast enough to send the data to the PJ causing the PJ to lose sync and blank.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Here is one thing tech support did not know: How to read out the battery conduction on the glasses...

You hold the pairing button down for 8seconds and it reads out on the screen.

There is more too...

Rich

post #14 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

More info, I can recreate this problem by simply opening in Windows 7 the folder Windows/System32/ making it full screen and then using the slider to move the text left and right. The screen will blank when I do this. My display card shows the same usuable refresh rates as you. At 60hz it blanks, if I change to 24hz or 50hz it's fine and never blanks. If I minimize from fullscreen to a window at 60hz it doesn't blank.
So to me it is a refresh rate problem, possibly my graphics card not being able to refresh the amount data on the screen fast enough to send the data to the PJ causing the PJ to lose sync and blank.

I have also had this blanking of screen problem using my Popcorn Hour and Xtreamer media players as sources with my 5020. I'll try to set the Popcorn Hour to 50Hz and see what happens.
Anybody have the same experience with these media players and the blanking of screen of the 5020/3020?
post #15 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM

I have had my TW8100 (5020) for about 10 days. And i am having this blanking of screen (losing sync).
My sources are Oppo 83SE, Oppo 103 and through my computer and this is occuring for all 3 sources.

During a movie, blankings appeared 1-3 times, 5-8 times and sometimes zero..

I have 2 runs of 12 meters HDMI cables and switching between the cables; made no difference...
The blanking of screen come and go for the 3 sources.

I have been reading and checking if this is the switching problem of my Emotiva UMC 200. Direct connection from sources to Epson didn't solve this problem (with switching between the 2 HDMI cables)

I will be contacting Epson.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 AM

Have any of you running your PJ off a computer tried hooking it up with a SVGA CABLE??

Rich

post #17 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricleon View Post

I have had my TW8100 (5020) for about 10 days. And i am having this blanking of screen (losing sync).
My sources are Oppo 83SE, Oppo 103 and through my computer and this is occuring for all 3 sources.

During a movie, blankings appeared 1-3 times, 5-8 times and sometimes zero..

I have 2 runs of 12 meters HDMI cables and switching between the cables; made no difference...
The blanking of screen come and go for the 3 sources.

I have been reading and checking if this is the switching problem of my Emotiva UMC 200. Direct connection from sources to Epson didn't solve this problem (with switching between the 2 HDMI cables)

I will be contacting Epson.

That sounds like your running a length of over 39'? You really need some good 22 awg cables, Cat 5, or maybe a red mere cable for that length I believe. I think Epson said they test at lengths of under 16', and may not be able to do anything for you. Seems there was a firmware update for some Oppo recently, so you might want to check that? Good luck in trying to get it working correctly.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM

I got lucky and bought two 25 foot hi speed 1.4 HDML cables off ebay.

And they do work.

I can watch cable SBS 3D no problem or streamed 3D, the only problem is when I try to watch a DR 3D movie from the Sony s570 player and the two systems talk to each another and decide I can cheat somehow and refuse to play.

I talk about my fix here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/330 post 341.

Rich

post #19 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM

OK Have many checked the 2D to 3D converter system??

I find that I keep getting a left eye field that is warped, ann bends along the lower 1/3 of the picture to the right.

I have a call into tech support about this.

I have seen it on all the 3020s I have had so far.

Check and let me know if you see the same problem will you.

Rich

post #20 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

OK Have many checked the 2D to 3D converter system??

I find that I keep getting a left eye field that is warped, ann bends along the lower 1/3 of the picture to the right.

I have a call into tech support about this.

I have seen it on all the 3020s I have had so far.

Check and let me know if you see the same problem will you.

Rich
Exactly the same on my 5010 and I'm not the only one. However when actually watching a movie it doesn't look too bad. Keep us updated with what tech say, as I'd like to know if it's normal or not.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Will do.

Rich

post #22 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Got the new projector in today. It's been a few hours and haven't had the issue yet but it was pretty intermittent before anyways. I'll keep you posted if it happens on this replacement. Then I'll be able to tell you if its a refresh rate or not.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

That sounds like your running a length of over 39'? You really need some good 22 awg cables, Cat 5, or maybe a red mere cable for that length I believe. I think Epson said they test at lengths of under 16', and may not be able to do anything for you. Seems there was a firmware update for some Oppo recently, so you might want to check that? Good luck in trying to get it working correctly.

I truly hope the long length is not the issue eek.gif
I I will try out the updates.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Say guy's It would be great if the thread starter would rename the title to THE OFFICIAL EPSON 3020 THREAD, this way all the Epson posting would be on one thread instead of all over the forum on PJ < $3,000.

I had a demonstration of the Epson 3020 and from 11' away noticed something on the screen and it was the screen door affect, must assume that this projector has that problem has any one else noticed it?????? my Sanyo VZ2000 a lcd no screen door at all..

Ralph
post #25 of 29 Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Try turning off the auto Iris...

post #26 of 29 Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM

Still waiting on the advance tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

Exactly the same on my 5010 and I'm not the only one. However when actually watching a movie it doesn't look too bad. Keep us updated with what tech say, as I'd like to know if it's normal or not.

post #27 of 29 Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
for the blanking of screen, try setting the source refresh rate to 24hz or 50hz. this solved the problem for me on 2 Epson tw8100 (5020).
post #28 of 29 Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post

for the blanking of screen, try setting the source refresh rate to 24hz or 50hz. this solved the problem for me on 2 Epson tw8100 (5020).
That works at the expense of clarity as it affects detail, so not a proper solution for me.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok everyone, I got a replacement projector from Epson and no longer have the issue I was having. Sorry for the delay but wanted to make very sure this was no longer an issue. So basically no more blanking on and off randomly. My video card is set to 60hz and I have a 40ft projector cable that I got from monoprice (a while ago) I don't think they carry that length anymore but here is the description of the cable --- HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (for In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 40ft (Gold Plated Connectors). This cable is further extended through wall connector and through another 6 foot HDMI cable. Long cables do not seem to be a problem as I can play bluray 3d just fine as well as full SBS 3d as well. Hope this helps someone else with a similar issue. Thanks for everyone that responded to my question. smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page