Projector choice with this room... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a partially light controlled media room that's 20'Lx14'Wx7.5'H. The wall where the screen would go is 7' wide - I could go wider with a drop down screen but I would run into the door access (pictured on the right). I have a 4x4 matrix switcher and an Onkyo 7.1 channel preamp. The matrix switcher is not HDMI 1.4 and I am not that interested in 3D (for now). I have a dropped soffit that you can see from the picture that protrudes lower into the viewing area so a projector would have to be positioned below this soffit. I would be sitting about 13' from the screen. My walls are off white and I would be watching primarily during the evening so ambient light would not be much of a problem. I currently have a 50" Panasonic plasma that I feel is too small for the room. I am not interested in getting a larger tv. My budget for projector only is sub $2k.

I have read good things about the BenQ W1070 but since I would have to upgrade the matrix switcher to handle the 3D, is there a better 2D only projector better suited to my room? I primarily watch Uverse tv, blu-rays, and PS3 gaming (all upscaled to 1080P by the preamp). I can mount the projector on the wall behind the couch or from the ceiling.

Questions:

Would the BenQ be too noisy for this setup, given that I must mount the projector far lower because of the soffit?

Could I mount a short throw projector right off the soffit, which is roughly 4.5' from the screen location and drops 7.5" from the overall ceiling height?
-This would solve the noise problem and would be easier to get cables to.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Play with the numbers for that 1070, depending on the screen size/pj placement, you might be able to find a good option. http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ Just about any nice 1080p pj will probably be to bright at 4.5', and you'll need to limit your screen size to near 60", not much bigger than your plasma. A ND filter might help, if you really want to go that route. If you step down to a 720p pj, you might find some that would work for that throw, using a bigger screen, but then again, brightness will be to high I think.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page