Epson 3020 2d to 3d doesn't look good - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is anyone else having problems with to the 2d to 3d? To me its not looking as great as 3 D Blu ray movies the depth just seems not to be there. also does anyone have any ideas on software for converting normal Blu rays to 3d mode to work on the 3020 or better yet what format does the 3020 display 3d in
I thought it was side by side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
2D to 3D conversion isn't going to look like a true 3D content, even some 2D to 3D reconverted movies look a little bad. Don't expect it, however animated content can fare a bit better. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454894/3d-sets-that-convert-any-movie-to-3d

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/plhc3010/plhc3010ug.pdf pg. 45
3D Format
Use this setting to select the 3D format supported by your video device. In most cases, the
projector will correctly detect the 3D format when this option is set to Auto. You should
only select the 2D, Side by Side, or Top and Bottom formats when your projector
doesn’t properly display 3D images. See your video source documentation for
information on which mode to select.

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-copy/sbs-3d.htm might work well for your conversion request.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 12
I would forgo any hopes on enjoying 3D content, from 2D source material. The depth information is just not there!

Read this:
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/james-cameron-titanic-3d-conversion-is-mind-numbing---techradar-uk-1315841882.html

And then ask yourself why some $100 chip set will fare a chance, when these guys spent $18M, ultra powerful computers, and a years time with industry geniuses to convert 2h of 2d->3d!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Surely you don't really expect a chip on a circuit board to be capable of producing industry like 3d images from a standard 2d image? All it does is add a bit of depth here and there, it's not even really 3d as the 3d image usually has wrong depth persepective, I.E. background objects appear before foreground objects and has more ghosting. The depth cues are just not there to recreate the image failthfully in 3d. As said, even megabucks 2d to 3d movies can look pants.
You should view a movie as it's intended and just treat 2d to 3d as a gimmick, no manufacturer at the mo has a decent 2d to 3d conversion imo.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info guys . I found out that it is frame packing that 3d Blurays are formatted in. So I wonder if your can use some sorta soft ware to convert 2d into frame packing method as most 3d software is side by side to bottom etc..
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Framepacking is just the format bluray uses. Side by side and top and bottom are still valid 3d formats. No need to convert.
you cannot convert 2d into frame packing 3d.
No matter what unless the 2d to 3d conversion is done professionally it will not look anything like an original 3d movie no matter what format it is in.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page