Heeelp!!! Epson 3020 LCD or Benq W1070 DLP? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you had to chose one projector, which one would you buy, and WHY?
Epson 3020 (TW5900 in Europe) - 1500$ 9 42.86%
Benq W1070 - 1000$ 11 52.38%
Panasonic PT-AR100U (PT-AH1000E in Europe) - 2000$ 1 4.76%
Acer H9500BD - 2000$ 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please give me your opinion...ANY opinion.

I would love to buy a projector this year, and I was trying to choose between Epson 3020 and Panasonic PT-AR100U, but in Europe, Panasonic it's very expensive, so Epson it's the better choice.

BUT Benq W1070 seems to be very appreciated and it's even cheaper than Epson 3020 (TW5910 in Europe).

I can't test the projectors, so I really need your advice: DLP or LCD?

The most important for me, it's the immage quality, colors and black levels.

I regret that I payed 3000$ for Panasonic 50VT20 plasma, two years ago.
I know the perfect choice for a projector, would be Epson 5020, but I don't want to pay that much.

So, please help me choose between Benq W1070 and Epson 3020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
None of the above, last years Epson 5010 for under $2000 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks Are you aware both the 3020 and 1070 will be a little limited with placement? DLP tech can cause RBE for some people, and if the image is to bright you might need a ND filter to help eliminate them by toning down the brightness. 1 yr warranty on the Benq, 2 yr on the Epson. Both have nice image quality but the 5010 would be better overall if you can swing the price, otherwise warranty, vs a little better sharpness with the DLP which is a consideration if you plan to use with a computer?

If you want the best blacks in that price range, a Epson 8350 might be a consideration if you don't need/want 3d. GL BTW, a little review someone recently did for the Benq if you wanna read. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/2400#post_22971652
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know that Epson 5010 would also be a better projector, but in Europe it's still ridiculously expensive compared to USA prices.
The same with Panasonic PT-AR100U. In USA it's 999$ and in Europe 2000$.

Another good projector would be Acer H9500BD with best black levels in this price range, but it's 500$ more than the Epson 3020.

So, the only afordable projectors available that have good reviews are Epson 3020 and Benq W1070.

Here, I can see that Benq has better black levels than Epson 3020. I was sure I will get the Epson, but now I am confused.

DLP or LCD?

In this video it's very clear that the LCD has better colours and brightness, while the DLP has washed out colours, and a darker image.

Why everywhere I read about that "special DLP look and feel"? How is that "look and feel" compared to a LCD projector?

I also know that a DLP projector should have better black levels and a sharper image than a LCD projector, that have that granulation of pixels quite visible.

Benq has lens shift and zoom even if they are limited. I don't think I really need lens shift, but I would need a better zoom, because I would like to get a cheap anamorphic conversion lens to get a 2.35 anamorphic view.

I've seen this in this video with an Epson 3010, and a cheap Canon 100$ conversion lens.

Would this be possible with Benq W1070 also? Epson has a 1.6:1 zoom, while Benq has a 1.3:1 zoom...would this be a problem?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
A dlp won't necessarily have better blacks, but generally will have a little sharper look, and a lcd won't necessarily have better color or brightness. I'd try to not use any video of a pj to determine it's image quality. Coderguy's Picks breaks these down pretty well, into what you give up vs. what you gain.

I don't know about the lens as I've never had any reason to consider one. The zoom difference will only really effect whether you'll have an issue with placement and the screen size you want to try to achieve. http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ is an easy tool to look at some numbers with those pj's. I think best bang for the buck is the Benq atm, but it does only come with a 1 yr warranty, vs a 2 yr on the Epson, so if it breaks after 1 yr, your "bang for the buck" just got shot to he**. Both good pj's which makes the decision difficult. Also, did you look at replacement bulb costs. I hadn't priced the Benq bulbs, but might be something to consider.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo82 View Post

I know that Epson 5010 would also be a better projector, but in Europe it's still ridiculously expensive compared to USA prices.
The same with Panasonic PT-AR100U. In USA it's 999$ and in Europe 2000$.

DLP or LCD?

In this video it's very clear that the LCD has better colours and brightness, while the DLP has washed out colours, and a darker image.

Why everywhere I read about that "special DLP look and feel"? How is that "look and feel" compared to a LCD projector?

That video is misleading in that it only applied to a DLP with white segments which used to be more common to get high brightness and people modded their projectors to black them out. Today mostly business projectors have them as they are usefull to project a white page. Movies have very little pure white so they are not needed. Lumens used to be measured by projecting a white image so the white segment gave a higher lumen rating, put not for watching movies. Art is now measuring color lumens to check for that issue.

Once you have had a DLP it is hard to consider an LCD unless rainbows force you to. Most people consider DLP more film like.

Robert

------------------
Robert
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just compared the BenQ W1070 to the Epson 8345. Both are great products for the price. The Epson gives a more "film like" picture while the BenQ picture provides more sharpness and depth, more like a flat screen image. The kicker for me was the smooth motion of the BenQ. When watching a lot of fast action images (hockey games) on the Epson, I found it bothered my eyes. The Epson was priced at $1129 while the BenQ $999.
I plan to keep the BenQ.

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector