VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 396 Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello - can some one recommend me a ceiling mount for this PJ

my media room celing is 10'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 396 Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fifty6 View Post

I found that if my projector is not completely square to the projection surface, I end up with a distorted image that's not a rectangle. If you were to draw a line straight out from the projector lens to the screen, and if that line were forced to be straight out from the screen as well, then you'd see that the projector sits just below the bottom edge of the projected image and exactly in the center left-to-right. The keystone correction feature can help fix vertical placement but not horizontal (left-to-right) placement.

Is that any help?

Yeah it does, itia as I suspected, when I have time I will move my ceiling mount to square and "perpendicular" it up. Its bareable for the time being
post #273 of 396 Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Alright, just got mine in the post today. I have a rough setup right now, don't have my screen yet or anything. I am having one basic issue thus far and hoped someone could help me. Probably a real simple, stupid overllok but here goes;

I have an old school stereo receiver I tried to run audio out to. But all I get is a low pitched humming. The projector speakers aren't even loud enough for my old man ears to hear so this is an issue for me. Is there an audio output selection somewhere in the menu I missed? Am I just flat not going to be able to run a simple RCA to receiver? Or am I looking at an old receiver that just flat has some kind of input issues? Any ideas folks?
post #274 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballPhreak View Post

Alright, just got mine in the post today. I have a rough setup right now, don't have my screen yet or anything. I am having one basic issue thus far and hoped someone could help me. Probably a real simple, stupid overllok but here goes;

I have an old school stereo receiver I tried to run audio out to. But all I get is a low pitched humming. The projector speakers aren't even loud enough for my old man ears to hear so this is an issue for me. Is there an audio output selection somewhere in the menu I missed? Am I just flat not going to be able to run a simple RCA to receiver? Or am I looking at an old receiver that just flat has some kind of input issues? Any ideas folks?
There is the volume control built in. It's on the remote and in the settings. If your trying to get 'audio out' from your projector when your using hdmi then there should be audio coming out of the earphone jack (and built in speakers when the earphone jack isn't attached). If your using the VGA there is no sound. That comes from the computer. If you are hearing audio and a hum then it sounds like your not properly grounded. Ground loop hum. Having the radio and projector plugged into the same power strip usually solves that. If its quite a distance, run an extension cord so they are both on the same circuit to test if that's the issue. At least you could cross it off the list anyway. Restart everything and triple check your levels and what mutes could be on. Try another computer or box.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #275 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtommyD View Post

There is the volume control built in. It's on the remote and in the settings. If your trying to get 'audio out' from your projector when your using hdmi then there should be audio coming out of the earphone jack (and built in speakers when the earphone jack isn't attached). If your using the VGA there is no sound. That comes from the computer. If you are hearing audio and a hum then it sounds like your not properly grounded. Ground loop hum. Having the radio and projector plugged into the same power strip usually solves that. If its quite a distance, run an extension cord so they are both on the same circuit to test if that's the issue. At least you could cross it off the list anyway. Restart everything and triple check your levels and what mutes could be on. Try another computer or box.
OK, well I have the volume all the way up and they are already plugged into the same outlet. But my building was built in the 50s so I am not certain ground could be crossed off necessarily. I am using the HDMI for cable in, should have stated that to begin with. When you state "restart" are you referring to a hard reset unplugging the unit for a minute or 2 and then trying again? I will fiddle with it a bit more here in a bit. It is 5am here and I don't want to disturb the wife. But I will keep update.

Other suggestions are welcomed as well as I doubt this is the problem, but obviously I want to chase every avenue. Thanks for the response.
post #276 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM

Also of note; 1/8" headhone jack does not work. The cabinet speakers don't even turn off. At least when I plug in RCA the cabinet speakers turn off and I get the humming. Is this supposed to work with 1/8" jack output? I assumed my wife's computer/mp3 speakers would work and they do not.
post #277 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Liked: 24
It is best to come out of your video source (e.g. your computer or DVD/Blu-ray player or game console) directly into your stereo. You obviously have this capability since you are doing it from the projector. If your old-as-feck stereo doesn't have enough inputs, go to a Radio Shack and get some stereo combiners and make sure the get the proper plug adapters. It is almost never useful to have the audio come out of the projector because there will be some ground loop interference. If you still have some humming for some reason, run a wire from your video source to the receiver (touching metal to metal; try different spots on both units, you will find one that works). If you STILL have some humming, throw that pos receiver away and go to Walmart and buy the $150 receiver with subwoofer and 5 surround sound speakers!

source: ME, Master of Music and 15+ years setting up various entertainment systems and building comptuers in my household.
post #278 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbcomposer View Post

It is best to come out of your video source (e.g. your computer or DVD/Blu-ray player or game console) directly into your stereo. You obviously have this capability since you are doing it from the projector. If your old-as-feck stereo doesn't have enough inputs, go to a Radio Shack and get some stereo combiners and make sure the get the proper plug adapters. It is almost never useful to have the audio come out of the projector because there will be some ground loop interference. If you still have some humming for some reason, run a wire from your video source to the receiver (touching metal to metal; try different spots on both units, you will find one that works). If you STILL have some humming, throw that pos receiver away and go to Walmart and buy the $150 receiver with subwoofer and 5 surround sound speakers!

source: ME, Master of Music and 15+ years setting up various entertainment systems and building comptuers in my household.
Yup, that did it. Like I said, simple overlook. I was thinking I could not use the audio out on the cable box because it was lumped in with the composite connections and I was using HDMI. Simple easy-peasy. Thanks for the help cool.gif
post #279 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballPhreak View Post

Also of note; 1/8" headhone jack does not work. The cabinet speakers don't even turn off. At least when I plug in RCA the cabinet speakers turn off and I get the humming. Is this supposed to work with 1/8" jack output?
There are two 1/8" (also called 3.5mm) female ports on the back. One for input, and one for output. If your using hdmi then the audio will start automatically. You should here audio coming out the projectors speakers if you haven't hooked anything up. I'm wondering if your hearing scratchy sound and calling that a hum? If you hear scratchy sound then turn down the volume on the projector until it sounds "normal". If there is no sound coming from the projector's speakers speakers without anything hooked up to the 1/8" output then your having a different issue. If its a cable box your trying to get hdmi audio from, then use the RCA 'audio out' on the cable box (or anything with audio out ports) straight to the receiver. If your hdmi componant is like an Apple TV with an 'optical tos' or 'coax RCA' only (with no RCA or 1/8", then you might need to use the projector's 1/8" audio out in question.

Another reason to use the projector's audio out would be if your getting a lag between the audio and video sync but let's not get into that right now.

Not sure if that's all more confusing or not, but the bottom line is - if your not getting audio to the projectors speakers using hdmi than there is no audio to run back to your receiver /radio when you plug in the 1/8" anyway. Make sure your using the output and not the input.

If you just had the audio input and output switched around then we'll need your wife to go ahead and put you in a headlock. Possibly the Camel Clutch.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #280 of 396 Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtommyD View Post

There are two 1/8" (also called 3.5mm) female ports on the back. One for input, and one for output. If your using hdmi then the audio will start automatically. You should here audio coming out the projectors speakers if you haven't hooked anything up. I'm wondering if your hearing scratchy sound and calling that a hum? If you hear scratchy sound then turn down the volume on the projector until it sounds "normal". If there is no sound coming from the projector's speakers speakers without anything hooked up to the 1/8" output then your having a different issue. If its a cable box your trying to get hdmi audio from, then use the RCA 'audio out' on the cable box (or anything with audio out ports) straight to the receiver. If your hdmi componant is like an Apple TV with an 'optical tos' or 'coax RCA' only (with no RCA or 1/8", then you might need to use the projector's 1/8" audio out in question.

Another reason to use the projector's audio out would be if your getting a lag between the audio and video sync but let's not get into that right now.

Not sure if that's all more confusing or not, but the bottom line is - if your not getting audio to the projectors speakers using hdmi than there is no audio to run back to your receiver /radio when you plug in the 1/8" anyway. Make sure your using the output and not the input.

If you just had the audio input and output switched around then we'll need your wife to go ahead and put you in a headlock. Possibly the Camel Clutch.
Ya, I had the output, NP there. Regardless, I am happy as it turned out just running the cable box directly audio out to the receiver. Not sure how it will all work in NOV when I get my XOne, but I will deal with that when I get there.

And I will certainly pass your suggestion on to the wife biggrin.gif
post #281 of 396 Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fifty6 View Post

Psythik, I noticed you mentioned earlier in this thread (p. 4, I think) that the projector will do 1:1 pixel mapping in HDMI if you use RGB mode. I have a Mac, and like others I've found that the top & bottom few percent get chopped off, meaning it's not doing true 1:1, but switching to RGB mode on the projector does nothing except make the image all green and weird. Any thoughts on why that is? Oh, and it's still a green and weird image that's missing a few percent top & bottom. smile.gif I remember reading somewhere that using the DVI out from a Mac instead of HDMI forces it to be 1:1...? Any thoughts on whether that's truly the case? (If so, I guess Amazon's getting more of my business.)

Well, I was just able to answer my own question and resolve the issue. I'll link to the solution here in case it can help someone else. Turns out you need to override the default Apple settings by applying some digital elbow grease with a Ruby script per the instructions found here. Followed the instructions, restarted the computer, and presto! Finally have true 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p resolution! Yay! All is right in the world again.
nxsfan likes this.
post #282 of 396 Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'd like to say that I think is a great projector for the price. Granted this is my first projector, but I find the images to be stunningly clear and vivid right out of the box. It's super bright and watchable even with the lights on. That being said, I noticed some problems with "light leakage" which I would like somebody's opinion on.

As an example I put a piece of paper close to the lens and took a photo. There is a halo of light around the main image and a significant aberration to the right. I've heard that light leakage is normal for cheaper and smaller projectors but how normal is that bright spot to the right? I just want to be sure that this isn't indicative of a defect which I will need to return the device for. Otherwise, if I have to fashion some sort of housing for the lens to block out all that extra light then I can live with that.

Thanks!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #283 of 396 Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM

First off, i used the calibration settings in this thread and its pretty bad. Colors look better with those settings and having BC on however.

Also when I turn RGB on, the screen has a heavy green tint and is unwatchable. This i when using my laptop winows 7.

Any help? thanks
post #284 of 396 Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 PM

As far as ceiling mounts for this projector: Rosewill RPM-MP0010 Projector Mount.

Rakuten has a great deal on this Rosewill mount. Yes, it's cheap, but it's not cheaply made. I'm currently using it and it works great.

Be aware that there are only 3 designated mounting holes for this projector. I'm using only 3 of the 4 arms that come with this universal mount. It's a bit awkward setting it up at first but you can easily figure out a good configuration for it as far as adjusting the arms on the mount and adapting it to the projector. I used the screws they provided.

The Rosewill mount is only $22 right now and that's what I paid for it including shipping.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/rosewill-rpm-mp0010-projector-mount/228265507.html
post #285 of 396 Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 PM

i bought this ceiling mount last week and it was great for the price - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J0HRES

it took me 30-minutes to put together since I had to remove one of the large arm adapters since the PJ has only 3 mounting holes

Good part is it comes with all the hardware you need
post #286 of 396 Old 09-16-2013, 03:57 AM

Hi!

leckian thanks a lot for your information about the service menu...

BUT as already discussed there seems to be now way of saving the settings. Why are all settings lost after reboot? Strange service menu imho.

Would be perfect if anyone can tell us how to make the projector not forgetting it's settings.

lg chris
post #287 of 396 Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So, with everyone who has this projector, How much brightness is loss when the projector is put in 3D mode??? How does the brightness appear when hooked up to a normal 3D source like a blue ray player vs. If you have it hooked up to your pc??? I just need some basic info on the brightness drop from everyone.
post #288 of 396 Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

So, with everyone who has this projector, How much brightness is loss when the projector is put in 3D mode??? How does the brightness appear when hooked up to a normal 3D source like a blue ray player vs. If you have it hooked up to your pc??? I just need some basic info on the brightness drop from everyone.
The main issue isn't a brightness drop. The projector automatically cranks the brightness to negate any loss caused by the glasses, so there really isn't any.

The real problem is loss of contrast and color vividness. Look at the first two and last two images in this post for some comparison shots between 2D and 3D. As you can see, the darker end of the black spectrum is hard to make out in 3D, and colors are slightly washed out as well. For me it's not a severe enough of an issue to prefer 2D over 3D, but as always, YMMV.
post #289 of 396 Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingraham1 View Post

I noticed some problems with "light leakage" which I would like somebody's opinion on.

As an example I put a piece of paper close to the lens and took a photo. There is a halo of light around the main image and a significant aberration to the right. I've heard that light leakage is normal for cheaper and smaller projectors but how normal is that bright spot to the right? I just want to be sure that this isn't indicative of a defect which I will need to return the device for. Otherwise, if I have to fashion some sort of housing for the lens to block out all that extra light then I can live with that.

Thanks!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
You're not alone. Mine leaks light the same way as well, but it's bright enough even with the leakage that I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalas101 View Post

First off, i used the calibration settings in this thread and its pretty bad. Colors look better with those settings and having BC on however.
Colors can vary from display to display, even within the same exact model. That's why I suggested using my settings simply as a baseline for your own calibrations.

Having BrilliantColor On may look better to you, but it makes the picture look different than what was intended by the director, game designers, etc. If you don't care at all about color accuracy then I'm not going to hate you for it. But like I mentioned before, it also harms contrast when on, especially at the darker end of blacks, but again, that's up to you to decide if being able to make out subtle shadows is important or not.

Quote:
Also when I turn RGB on, the screen has a heavy green tint and is unwatchable. This i when using my laptop winows 7.

Any help? thanks
Also like I've said before, you have to tell your graphics card to output a full RGB signal. If you have an ATi/AMD GPU I can walk you through it. Otherwise you're on your own. tongue.gif

Oh and by the way, ViewSonic finally took care of my remote issue, It took a month for it to show up in the mail, but it finally arrived last week and everything is kosher now.
post #290 of 396 Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
post #291 of 396 Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Waiting for my PJD7820 to arrive today.

This will be my 3rd projector.
1st was a 480P Infocus X1 around 2002.
2nd was a 720P Infocus X9 in 2008.
And now the 1080P Viewsonic PJD 7820.

Was down to the Benq 1070, Optoma 131xe, or Acer 6510.
What swayed me was the ability to bump up the Lumens to 3500 for daytime/sports viewing.

Hoping this is a nice upgrade, my Infocus X9 finally died, with 6050 hours on the original bulb!
90 inch screen is what I have in my living room.
post #292 of 396 Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPLOWKING View Post

Waiting for my PJD7820 to arrive today.

This will be my 3rd projector.
1st was a 480P Infocus X1 around 2002.
2nd was a 720P Infocus X9 in 2008.
And now the 1080P Viewsonic PJD 7820.

Was down to the Benq 1070, Optoma 131xe, or Acer 6510.
What swayed me was the ability to bump up the Lumens to 3500 for daytime/sports viewing.

Hoping this is a nice upgrade, my Infocus X9 finally died, with 6050 hours on the original bulb!
90 inch screen is what I have in my living room.

Great, let us know how you like it.
post #293 of 396 Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 PM

So, I'm very interested in getting this device as I'm now on a much tighter budget than I used to be. I'm coming from a 61" DLP Samsung TV. Anyways, my main concern is that I will probably need to put this about 20'-21' (yes feet) away from my projection surface (I would be able to accommodate up to a 150" screen approx)... I'm not super familiar with "short throw" but that sound really bad for my situation.

If this wont work from that distance what do you recommend I look into for the cheapest 1080p projector for this kind of room layout?
post #294 of 396 Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 PM

The good news is that the short throw really comes into play with the manual zoom lens. That is how I have a 155" screen at only 12 feet. When I unzoom it, the screen size diminishes a lot. I think you would be ok at 20 ft, though you might lose an inch on each side. For the price, it really is the best projector. Just make sure you do the calibration on it or you will burn something out like I did the first time.
Shapermc likes this.
post #295 of 396 Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 PM

Excellent. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbcomposer View Post

Just make sure you do the calibration on it or you will burn something out like I did the first time.
Ok, good to know... any pointers on what you mean by this specifically?
post #296 of 396 Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 PM

Hello all! I got this projector back in feb! Its been an amazing run, enjoyed it all the way, games, movies, VJ! Anyways, 2 days ago, i turned on the pj and oh no there are 2 huge rainbow like stains on each side of the screen! At first i thought it was a bad connection with my hdmi, but the stains are still there when i put on "pattern mode". Next i thought that the protective lense cap on the bulb was dirty, but ive cleaned it and nothing has changed. Last thing i can think of is that the lamp is starting to give away, and it could be possible as we've used it a lot. Im still with in the first year of purchasing it so if thtats the case i think ill get the replacement for free. But as its my first projector i don't know what that would look like. I also recall seeing how many hours where used on the lamp, but ive tried looking in the menu and can't find the info anywhere. Anytips or ideas? Where can i find out the hours used/left on the lamp? Have any of you had to deal with customer service yet? Any tips on approching them? im attaching a pic so tht u can see the marks.

Thanks all and happy projecting xD
post #297 of 396 Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Hi Camil, if you look trough this very same thread you'll find someone that had the same problem and what he did about it..

post #298 of 396 Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM

That is the result of the light tunnel flaking off. This happened to me, and I determined it to be the result of the following...

1) Too much heat being generated by the lamp. Never use the "Brightest" mode, never do custom settings to try to get the max lumens from the lamp, and set your projector to leave the fan on after you power it down. This should keep the tunnel from burning up.

2) This projector is made of ****, but if you take care of it it will last.

This is the solution...

1) Open the case entirely. Find my other posts to see how to open it. Use a can of compressed air with a straw. Blast that sucker between the color wheel and the lens assembly. The light tunnel is hidden down there.

2) You might get it, you might not. If not, you have to remove the color wheel. BE VERY CAREFUL! I broke mine after removing it and putting it back 3 or 4 times trying to determine what the streaks are. When I finally found the problem, I broke the wheel putting it back in. You will have to use a needle-nose pliers to bend the metal bracket holding the wheel in or else you can't get it out.

3) If this is not your thing, deal with it until they send you a new unit. It's definitely not the lamp, so they will have to do the express replacement on the whole projector.
post #299 of 396 Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Is there a consensus of what pair of glasses are best to match with this projector? Also, does the dlp sync use a white or red flash? I'm assuming it uses white.
post #300 of 396 Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM

To be honest, i have not seen any flash at all while watching 3d.. BTW, i've bought 4 glasses, SianSonic SSZ200-DLB that amazon suggested at the time, but of all of them only one "stays on", the others turn on and off, they all have been recharged.. could it be the battery ? or something else that i fail to see ?

BTW, the one that works is quite comfortable, and i use prescription glasses under it..

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page