VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700 - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 404 Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello my friend

Yes i managed to solve the problem.

I just had to switch the resolution on my blu ray player from 1080p to 720p and the projector now recognizes the 3d and i can do whatever changes i have to on the type of 3d

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 404 Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj101985 View Post

Hi Hercules, 

I am facing exactly the same issue, is this solvable. Were you able to resolve it ? The optoma731 or something works fine without this issue via USB, could you please respond on the steps that you took. thanks. 

Hello my friend

Yes i managed to solve the problem.

I just had to switch the resolution on my blu ray player from 1080p to 720p and the projector now recognizes the 3d and i can do whatever changes i have to on the type of 3d

edgarh likes this.
post #333 of 404 Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

Do you have dynamic contrast enabled (it's controlled via the picture preset reference menu). With it on I've noticed no appreciable gains in picture quality and the projector is 2X louder. Might be causing your fluctuating brightness too..

Yep it looks like using dynamic contrast was causing my flashing problems. I was only able to test it for a few minutes, but it's definitely better.
post #334 of 404 Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Liked: 17
FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH A WASHED OUT PICTURE: I was wrong about some of my calibrations. Toggle HDMI range until it looks right (or enable Full RGB on your PC/Console/Cable Box/etc.) See my edited post for details.

Where are you guys seeing this Dynamic Contrast option? Did ViewSonic release new firmware? Or did you guys figure out how to get the Service Menu settings to stick? Some info on this would be appreciated.
post #335 of 404 Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks to all the replys here, I have purchased this projector to replace my 60"led tv, I have an xbox and a Pc im going to use for streaming, movie playing, and best of all 3d gaming. I will let you guys know the results and I will let you know if they upgraded the firmware. Btw now they are giving a "free" 80 in screen away with them. But shipping and handling is conveniently the same msrp price of the screen, 80 some dollars and you get a free mount with it. I went to there online store acting like i was going to buy the screen and its same price with like 20 or 30 dollars shipping so its "cheaper" but not free.

I will update this post as I get the projector and test it. Im planing on ceiling mounting it about 8 feet in the air 10 feet back for a roughly 120" screen.

post #336 of 404 Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okechukwu View Post

Also, Viewsonic is giving away free 3D glasses for all new purchases. Rebate form must be postmarked by 12/2. Purchase must be within 30 days of the postmark date.

http://www.viewsonic.com/documents/One-free-pair-of-3D-glasses-with-purchase-of-PJD7820HD-111813-120313.pdf

I love how they claim it's a $130 value. LOL.
I got my free glasses this week and I must say it makes a difference. Maybe not a whole lot but the contrast is better and the picture just looks better all around.
Syncs up perfect each time
My other glasses were $30 jobs from Sainsonic & Amazon..
post #337 of 404 Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 PM

Really? I had no idea that changing glasses would improve contrast. Might be time to ditch these Sainsonics.
post #338 of 404 Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 PM

I have had a couple of weeks to play with these and just got done watching Star Trek Into Darkness and I am finally happy with the projector in 3d.
I am using a PC that can also bump the contrast and brightness around but was never able to get it right without the new glasses.
The ones I got are the older model with a 800:1 contrast ratio. The newest ones listed are 1200:1.

They are offering 2 free pair of the 1200:1 with a new purchase. A really good deal..

Model PDG 250 800:1 abt $69 Ebay
Model PDG 350 1200:1 abt $99 Ebay

You might notice Sainsonic never rates this ratio
post #339 of 404 Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
guys -

finally I was able to test a FULL 3D with the blu-ray disc

I had a step-up 3D disc with panasonic blu-ray player. I would say it is amazing on a 135-inch wall painted in grey. My glasses are Sainsonic 3d from amazon

I'm yet to install my screen and may increase the 3D details a bit more.

I calibrated based onPsythik settings with Brilliant Colors ON
post #340 of 404 Old 03-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Since we're talking about glasses I just want to throw in my 2 cents from my experiment.  I tested 3 low end glasses from Amazon and found that the MOACC pair to be superior to Sansonic and Xpand.  MOACC has a higher degree of freedom when you turn your head where they others you need to be almost dead on, otherwise you see ghosting effects.  I also noticed that in high contrast scenes where you have a white object against a black you don't notice the bleed. 

I've been using the MOACC pair for 2 months now and have been very satisfied with these cheap glasses.  Now I have six pairs.

post #341 of 404 Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai Wang View Post

MOACC has a higher degree of freedom when you turn your head where they others you need to be almost dead on, otherwise you see ghosting effects.
Strange, I don't have that problem at all with my Sainsonics...
post #342 of 404 Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

Strange, I don't have that problem at all with my Sainsonics...

Well, it's only minor in the effects and someone would hardly notice it if there wasn't something to compare.  Maybe I got a defective pair.  But so far I'm very happy with MOACC.  All being equal in price.

post #343 of 404 Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM

So can somebody please tell me how to enable Dynamic Contrast? I've been waiting a month and a half for an answer!
post #344 of 404 Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I've read through this thread entirely to get a better understanding of this projector and I am pretty sure I'll be purchasing it for my home theater room. My hope is to find a retailer who will negotiate with me on price if I call them directly. Has anyone had any experience with that on this model? What would be the lowest I could pay based on past deals and current pricing? ($649.99 on amazon atm) Newegg's price matching guarantee ended March 31st, but as this might be taking up shelf space, I'm wondering if some retailer out there might be able to deal/negotiate with me. Thoughts?

Also, with this projector at about 120+ inches on a wall in a windowless room, how big of a difference will there be between a plain white wall and projector paint?

post #345 of 404 Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Hey guys, I just ordered this projector and it will be here tomorrow. I originally ordered a Viewsonic 720p projector but knew I would be kicking myself in the but for not going 1080p.

My question is about mounting this projector. My room as seen below is 11 feet from wall to wall. I ordered a 92" screen and the ceiling is 8ft. I ordered this ceiling mount which has adjustable heights.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00892RUTA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will I be able to mount this projector without having a problem of the picture on the ceiling? I notice a lot people keep saying it needs to be put on the floor. If I drop the projector down from the ceiling with the max mount drop down of 27", will it be okay or will the picture still run onto my ceiling? Do I need to mount the screen as high to the ceiling as I can? Wouldn't the fact that the projector gets flipped upside down when mounting it prevent the picture from running onto the ceiling? Doesn't it become more like the ceiling is the floor now and the floor is the ceiling or does it not work like that?
post #346 of 404 Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 AM

Liked: 24
Without doing the math, I think you would be ok. 92 inches isn't going to matter too much when hanging from the ceiling. Hold the projector as high as you can in the air and try to get a position where you have approximately a 92 inch image. You will have to have someone measure the image on the wall. Mount the hanger on the ceiling there, avoiding that air vent (you might want to close that for good; you don't want any more dust than you have to)! Aim the projector at the screen and zoom it in all the way with the manual zoom on the lens. Angle/zoom the projector so that the top of the viewing area coincides with the top of the screen. Use the keystone correction to square of the image.
eric3316 likes this.
post #347 of 404 Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 42

I put up (ceiling mount) a Viewsonic PJD5533 for a buddy over the weekend and his wife would not let him paint the basement wall which is an antique white (slightly yellow).  The 152 inch image looked good in a fairly dark room, so I would try it on your wall before you decide to paint.

I originally had a Viewsonic PJD5134 up in my basement for about 3 months before switching to an Epson HC2000.  The morning sun leaking in around my blinds washed out the image produced by the Epson, so I painted the wall by following the instructions at Projector Central (painting a screen for under $100) and have been very pleased with the results...but, I was okay with the image on my off white wall during the rest of day (once the sun moved to the other side of the house).  I have since added blackout curtains to the room which helped more than painting the wall did.  

I posted the pictures of my wall/image on another thread.

post #348 of 404 Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningOrb View Post

I've read through this thread entirely to get a better understanding of this projector and I am pretty sure I'll be purchasing it for my home theater room. My hope is to find a retailer who will negotiate with me on price if I call them directly. Has anyone had any experience with that on this model? What would be the lowest I could pay based on past deals and current pricing? ($649.99 on amazon atm) Newegg's price matching guarantee ended March 31st, but as this might be taking up shelf space, I'm wondering if some retailer out there might be able to deal/negotiate with me. Thoughts?

Also, with this projector at about 120+ inches on a wall in a windowless room, how big of a difference will there be between a plain white wall and projector paint?

Addendum, now I'm heavily leaning towards AT DIY screen. Does anyone have that as their current setup on this projector? How does it look? Thanks!

When I move and I'm able to finally settle in and start this HT project I'll start a thread but till then all I can do is dream and ask vague questions smile.gif
post #349 of 404 Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Just received my projector last night and everything went up nice and smooth. I went with a 92" screen because I had originally ordered a 720p projector that would max out at 92" from this distance. Then decided I was crazy not to go 1080p and exchanged it. Could have gone with a bigger screen at this distance with the PJD7820HD but think I will just stick with the 92".

Haven't had enough time to actually evaluate the projector but at the price it cost, there is isn't really much you can complain about, is there?. My expectations weren't set to high to begin with. Are the black levels that great, nope. Is the contrast that great, nope. Does the picture look good. Definitely good enough to enjoy watching a movie on it.

I did see a tip about setting the HDMI type to standard which improved the picture. It was set set to enhanced and washed everything out. Setting it to standard got rid of that.

Are their software updates for this projector and if there are, how they they installed?

Update: Watching this thing in the daytime is great. Very bright and looks really good. Better then I was expecting for daytime viewing.
post #350 of 404 Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Does anyone know which direction air flows through this PJ for cooling? If you can use one of the pics on the manual or something and just draw an arrow showing airflow that would be sweet. Thanks in advance. Couldn't find this info anywhere online...
post #351 of 404 Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So I tried to run speakers directly from the projector and they could barely be heard. It swlower then even the built in speakers.

It was just a set of regular speakers with black and red wires. I ran a 3.5m extended cable and then hooked up splitters for 2 speakers. I stripped the ends to hook up to the speakers. I did get sound but just barely? Is there any way to get this to work or can the projector not power external speakers? Do I need to hook up computer speakers? Will those work better and actually give me more volume that would at least be usable for now?

Thanks for any help.
post #352 of 404 Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 PM

3.5mm audio out ports aren't powered, and using a splitter further decreases the signal to your speakers. Try some powered speakers if you have some and if you can also eliminate the splitter that should help a lot.
eric3316 likes this.
post #353 of 404 Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningOrb View Post

3.5mm audio out ports aren't powered, and using a splitter further decreases the signal to your speakers. Try some powered speakers if you have some and if you can also eliminate the splitter that should help a lot.
Do you think these will work? Not looking for the best sound right now, just want more volume.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=9402283&st=computer%20speakers&cp=1&lp=1&pid=1218100583100
post #354 of 404 Old 04-05-2014, 11:21 PM

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would ever want to use the audio out on a projector. I posted this response several pages ago...

Use the audio out from your video source (e.g. computer/blu-ray/gaming console) and go straight into a sound system or powered speakers.
post #355 of 404 Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbcomposer View Post

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would ever want to use the audio out on a projector. I posted this response several pages ago...

Use the audio out from your video source (e.g. computer/blu-ray/gaming console) and go straight into a sound system or powered speakers.
Well right now I do not have a sound system and will not be buying one right now. I have a PS3 hooked up to my projector right now. Can I hook up computer speakers to the PS3?

Only problem with that though is I will be hooking up my cable to the projector as well so having speakers hooked up to my ps3 is.not.going to help at that point.
post #356 of 404 Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Eric I totally get why your doing it that way, and it sounds like all you want is a slight improvement over the built in speakers. Even with those insignia speakers you're not going to get much better sound, but it should at least be louder. My suggestion is to buy similar speakers from Walmart because if you don't like them you can return with no questions asked more or less.
post #357 of 404 Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I ended up going to Walmart and buying something inexpensive that came with a little subwoofer. Seems to get the job done.

Has anyone noticed when in eco mode the screen seems to flash slightly. I just noticed it this morning. I haven't noticed it the last couple of says though. It is while I am streaming Netflix. When I shut eco mode off it seems to disappear. Any idea's?
post #358 of 404 Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM

I noticed a slight flicker in Dynamic PC mode (when I was using a VGA cable). However, I upgraded my computer and now have an HDMI port. Now there is no flickering. I was getting a little scared. Are you using VGA?
eric3316 likes this.
post #359 of 404 Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbcomposer View Post

I noticed a slight flicker in Dynamic PC mode (when I was using a VGA cable). However, I upgraded my computer and now have an HDMI port. Now there is no flickering. I was getting a little scared. Are you using VGA?
No, I am using an HDMI cable with my PS3. Once I turn off eco mode it seems to stop. Not sure if I should go for an exchange or give it some more time and see how it reacts with different content.
post #360 of 404 Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 AM

It's up to you. Psythik and I determined a while ago that this projector has poor quality control. Overall, the unit is very good for the price, but there are lots of small problems that you just have to deal with. Additionally, everyone seems to have a different problem, so it's kind of a crapshoot which one you're going to get. If you want something more reliable you have to spend the extra $200-300. However, someone has remarked positively on the 1 year quick replacement, no questions asked policy that Viewsonic is offering.
eric3316 likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread - Pjd7820hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page