VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbcomposer View Post

It's up to you. Psythik and I determined a while ago that this projector has poor quality control. Overall, the unit is very good for the price, but there are lots of small problems that you just have to deal with. Additionally, everyone seems to have a different problem, so it's kind of a crapshoot which one you're going to get. If you want something more reliable you have to spend the extra $200-300. However, someone has remarked positively on the 1 year quick replacement, no questions asked policy that Viewsonic is offering.
Yeah, well I have 30 days to exchange through Newegg so will give it more time plus I will be away for the next week so will need to wait till I get back to take care of it.

I really have no other complaints with the projector. I am not looking to spend any more money and for the price you cannot beat the bang for the buck. I just want to make sure it doesn't have an issue that it shouldn't have as opposed to an issue that is just part of this projector that everyone see's. It is just strange that I have not noticed it till this morning. though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

So can somebody please tell me how to enable Dynamic Contrast? I've been waiting a month and a half for an answer!
Can anyone answer this question?
post #363 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't know of a specific Dynamic Contrast setting. There's Brilliant Color (which I recommend you turn off because it will overheat and burn your light tunnel like it did mine). There's also manual contrast settings, as well as different gamma settings in a sub-menu (forget what it's called). These options are more than sufficient. There may be something else in the service menu, but I don't see it as being necessary. With my current settings through HDMI, I get a great picture despite a lot of ambient light during the day.
eric3316 likes this.
post #364 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know of a specific Dynamic Contrast setting. There's Brilliant Color (which I recommend you turn off because it will overheat and burn your light tunnel like it did mine). There's also manual contrast settings, as well as different gamma settings in a sub-menu (forget what it's called). These options are more than sufficient. There may be something else in the service menu, but I don't see it as being necessary. With my current settings through HDMI, I get a great picture despite a lot of ambient light during the day.
Any chance you can test out your projector in eco mode watching something through HDMI to see if you notice the flashing. It is very easy to spot when I was playing Jake and the Never Land Pirates for my son this morning through Netfix. Happened alot within the blue sky.

If it is just how the projector works I am okay with that and not using the eco setting but if mine is defective I definitely want to swap it out before my 30 days.

I appreciate your help. Threw you a couple of thumbs up. smile.gif
post #365 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the thumbs.

I use EcoMode often when I leave the room for more than 5 minutes to save the lamp. I've never noticed any flashing or flickering, but I also don't have a PS3. I have a computer and an Xbox 360; the only flickering I've seen was on Dynamic PC with VGA like I said. However, I know there are lots of variables involving different power situations. Do you have the PS3 and projector on the same surge protector? If not try that. If you do, separate them and put them on different wall outlets. See if you can replicate the flickering on EcoMode when using a different video source (DVR, computer, some other gaming console). If you see flickering when trying all of that and on different video sources, chances are it's the projector. If not, then it's just some random interference that is only noticeable on EcoMode (which is not the projector's fault).

p.s. this is my last post for today. I have to leave soon.
eric3316 likes this.
post #366 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the thumbs.

I use EcoMode often when I leave the room for more than 5 minutes to save the lamp. I've never noticed any flashing or flickering, but I also don't have a PS3. I have a computer and an Xbox 360; the only flickering I've seen was on Dynamic PC with VGA like I said. However, I know there are lots of variables involving different power situations. Do you have the PS3 and projector on the same surge protector? If not try that. If you do, separate them and put them on different wall outlets. See if you can replicate the flickering on EcoMode when using a different video source (DVR, computer, some other gaming console). If you see flickering when trying all of that and on different video sources, chances are it's the projector. If not, then it's just some random interference that is only noticeable on EcoMode (which is not the projector's fault).

p.s. this is my last post for today. I have to leave soon.
Will give that a try. They are on the same power strip. Will have to play with the different picture settings as well. I know I watched an entire show the other night in eco mode and didn't notice it once. Strange. Hopefully I do not need to go through an exchange. It's so frustrating.

I already have to exchange my screen. There are ripples across the whole top of it. Although I will be getting a 100" screen from a 92". So something good is at least coming out of that.

Do you know anything about the Optoma HD131Xe compared to this one? If I have to go through an exchange I might take a look at it if it offers anything better and worth the few dollars more for it. Although it doesn't look like it offers as large of image from my distance of about 10ft.

I also find it strange that when you have the eco setting on it remains in the upper corner of the screen. Is the projector not meant to run with this on? Does it have the same effect as lowering the brightness down or do you think something else is happening in the background with it?

Update: So it seems like the issue is only with the dynamic eco which is activated with the button on the remote. I noticed their was another eco setting within the settings menu which drops the bulb down 20% and seems to be fine. It also doesn't leave anything in the upper right hand corner of the screen like the dynamic eco does. I also notice when activating the dynamic eco the fan get much louder and immediatley lowers when you shut that off.

Best way to watch in the dark looks to be just to drop the contrast all the way down.
post #367 of 403 Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM

Glad you found settings that work for you. I don't know why the message stays on the screen. It's pretty dumb. Also, this is my first projector, so I don't know about any others. I did a lot of research on this one and projectors in general, but just enough to know what I wanted to get.
post #368 of 403 Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM

Liked: 14
Since this projector doesn't have a filter, has anyone found a way to reduce the dust particles this pj gets exposed to? I'm thinking about ceiling mounting it and putting some filtered fans by it to help cool it and also to reduce the dust coming through the pj's fans.

Can anyone here tell me if they have a room similar to mine, just trying to feel this pj out before I buy. My room is depicted in this build thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526656/the-poor-mans-home-theater-build
post #369 of 403 Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 PM

Liked: 17
I think that ViewSonic uses keeps the DynamicEco message on screen because the bulb wasn't designed to stay in that mode for extended periods of time. This is further evidenced by the fact that the projector temporally disables it when it's on for longer than 30 minutes. If your projector is too bright, there's a separate Economic setting under "Lamp Settings" in the menu that'll reduce brightness by 30%. Also, after about 1000 hours the bulb brightness mellows out so it's not so blinding. In the meantime you could do what I did and hang a pair of sunglasses over the lens (just make sure it doesn't touch!). It's tacky but it works quite nicely until the bulb breaks in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningOrb View Post

Since this projector doesn't have a filter, has anyone found a way to reduce the dust particles this pj gets exposed to? I'm thinking about ceiling mounting it and putting some filtered fans by it to help cool it and also to reduce the dust coming through the pj's fans.
Unfortunately I haven't found a solution. I actually have some dust trapped behind the lens on mine. Never bringing it outside in the Arizona desert again! I want to open the projector to clean it out but don't want to risk voiding my warranty. I might just send it in to ViewSonic for an exchange, considering that I never managed to fix my BrilliantColor being stuck off issue (not that I'd use it anyway).
post #370 of 403 Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution. I actually have some dust trapped behind the lens on mine. Never bringing it outside in the Arizona desert again! I want to open the projector to clean it out but don't want to risk voiding my warranty. I might just send it in to ViewSonic for an exchange, considering that I never managed to fix my BrilliantColor being stuck off issue (not that I'd use it anyway).
this is a little unorthodox, but I'm toying with the idea of ceiling mounting the pj, then mounting and wiring an empty pc case with powered fans to surround the pj and control airflow. The fans on a pc can be filtered and a filter could even be fitted to cover the front minus a round hole for the lens. This would also serve as a sheild protecting the pj from accidental bumps, a real concern in my low 7' ceiling room with potential for kids using it a lot.

This would obviously require some custom work, and I would not place the fan power supply in the pc case, so power would have to be wired from a distance, but the whole job could be done cheaply provided there is a case that will fit. If I get a chance to try this I'll definitely update you and post about it in my build thread.
Bob7145 likes this.
post #371 of 403 Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
CunningOrb - Good idea! The fans, maybe use a plastic box with a lid instead? Lighter, won't vibrate much (noise) Put one side between the PJ and the mount then snap the lid onto the bottom? smile.gif
post #372 of 403 Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If it is like the PJD5134 which has the same housing, it is very sensitive to heat issues. I originally had my Viewsonic mounted and it was okay, but when I jumped from a SVGA to a 1080p, I sat it up in another room and it worked fine for several months. I had some friends over and was showing them my two projectors and the Viewsonic kept turning on and off. I just knew is was broken, but after they left I discovered that I had placed my blackberry (phone) on top of it, and the phone was making the projector sensor read hot. Once I removed the phone I had not other issues with the projector. Prior to this I had been thinking about making a filter for the projector (mainly after reading this thread), but now I "live with the dust". I do try to filter the air the basement by using several box fans with a DYI filters attached, and that seems to reduce the "dust" in the air. The inexpensive filters last about a month plus they are out of the way and not used when we are using the basement/projectors. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. I have an Epson projector with a filter built in and have not had to clean or replace the filter and I'm over 900 hours on the lamp.
post #373 of 403 Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

NM
post #374 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Liked: 11
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me decide on a projector. I am current looking at 5 of them. I am trying to narrow them down, but find it difficult to choose. I will be using mostly for watching movies, some 3d, and would occasionally like to take it outside to watch sports. Here are the ones I am looking at:

ViewSonic PJD7820HD
Acer h6510bd
Benq w1070
Optoma hd131xe
Epson home cinema 2000

They are all about the same price with the benq being the most expensive. I don't mind paying the extra price if it is worth it. Thanks.
post #375 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Oh, I would also like to get biggest possible picture size with best quality.
post #376 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post

Oh, I would also like to get biggest possible picture size with best quality.
All of those DLPs will have better contrast and black level than the cinema2000, but the 2000 will have brighter and better calibrated colors than everything except the W1070. The w1070 is the best of all of those aspects on your list and is usually the first recommendation for a budget theater for that reason.

If you can afford the slight extra expense and can handle the limited placement options (small zoom and lens-shift isn't quite for everyone), than nothing else beats it until you've spent about 2X as much.

Oh yeah, and besides having a fantastic, bright picture, it's also one of the best you'll find for low-lag gaming at ANY price and you can't really beat DLP 3D.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #377 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I owned the Viewsonic and exchanged it for the Acer a week ago. I would definitely recommend the Acer over the Viewsonic. I think the colors, saturation and contrast all seem better.

As for the BenQ W1070, here is a little comparison review vs. the Acer:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/acer_h6510bd_3d_home_video_projector_review.htm?page=Shootout-vs-BenQ-W1070

There is also a few review of the Acer in that link if you scroll the pages back.
post #378 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Ok, now it's down to acer, benq, and optoma. I think the benq has the more expensive bulb that is why I am hesitant to get that one, but it is a front runner. How long should these lamps last if I watch about 4 hrs a day? Thanks for the help guys. Buying a projector is much harder than buying a tv. I just bought a samung 75 inch 6400. I have never seen a in home projector image, so I don't know what I am getting myself into. If the image comes close to the tv image, then I will return the tv and buy a $2000 + projector. Right now the tv is in my living room, but this budget projector will go in my daughter room so she can watch cartoons on the wall. I will also use it for outdoor movie night. Thanks again.
post #379 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention I would like to connect a sound bar to it and I would like to connect a hard drive to watch movies.
post #380 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

First person I've read on the forum here to have popped a W1070 lamp made it to about 6,500 hours using "smart-eco" (bright as normal on bright scenes, darker than eco on dark scenes). At 4hours/day, 7days/week, that's 4-and-a-half years. I'd say it's more than reasonable to expect at least 3years in your situation..more if you use eco or smart-eco.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #381 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Ok, now it's down to acer, benq, and optoma. I think the benq has the more expensive bulb that is why I am hesitant to get that one, but it is a front runner. How long should these lamps last if I watch about 4 hrs a day?

As Ftoast says, with the BenQ in SmartEco mode (ie, dynamic lamp brightness), BenQ claims 6000 hours. There are reports of in excess of 6500 hours in heavy-use cases before the bulb needed replacement. So you should get around 4 years or so at 4 hours a day (assuming you get the rated 6000 hours).

There's no reason to use anything other than SmartEco since it produces the best contrast (and is as bright as 'Normal' mode). And of course, is rated at the highest lamp life...

Quote:

Buying a projector is much harder than buying a tv. I just bought a samung 75 inch 6400. I have never seen a in home projector image, so I don't know what I am getting myself into. If the image comes close to the tv image, then I will return the tv and buy a $2000 + projector. Right now the tv is in my living room, but this budget projector will go in my daughter room so she can watch cartoons on the wall. I will also use it for outdoor movie night.

It's a constant debate, but IMHO a TV image will probably be better than any projected image. The projected image will be pleasing if there isn't too much ambient light about. Of course I love projection because of the sheer size - 75" is pretty big for a TV; but my W1070 drives a screen of 127". That's quite a difference wink.gif

Quote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I would like to connect a sound bar to it and I would like to connect a hard drive to watch movies.

No problem here: you'd play your movies with any player that supports external hard drives (some Bluray players do just this). A sound bar would then connect (via HDMI) from the player; then to the projector.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #382 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think you'll be able to play off a harddrive without a PC or external mediaplayer. It's kind of dumb; if my $350 portable LED PJ can play smooth 1080p straight from a harddrive's USB, why can't they give these more costly units the same ability? They're still portable, and most can play slides from a USB. It SHOULD be a really small step to add a VIDEO mediaplayer function so you don't need to grab an entire bluray player or computer simply to get a movie from your HDD.

Simple
post #383 of 403 Old 05-04-2014, 03:22 PM

My recommendation, return the TV, get a BenQ or Acer for your main viewing. Get a smaller TV (50 inch) for small-time stuff like whatever's on TV. Spend the rest on the biggest screen you can find. Or, save the money and build your own screen like me (155" diag).

Also, ambient light does become a problem, which is why I went for the Viewsonic (higher lumens = brighter picture during day).
post #384 of 403 Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 AM

Liked: 12
post #385 of 403 Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules1234 View Post

Hello my friend

Yes i managed to solve the problem.

I just had to switch the resolution on my blu ray player from 1080p to 720p and the projector now recognizes the 3d and i can do whatever changes i have to on the type of 3d

Thanks to your post I solved my issue with the Viewsonic Projector, and thanks for this thread I know now everything about my projector, first one I buy in my life so I took every single advice from you all so I don't have the same issues some of you had with the heat and everything, anything I can share in the future I will stop by and write in here.

Regards,

Edgar.

post #386 of 403 Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Bought the benq for $850 no tax. Will receive it tomorrow. Now I need to build a screen. Been reading about blackout cloth. Have you guys used it?
post #387 of 403 Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 AM

guys - I had the viewsonic pj for about 9 months and have used it very little about 225 hrs. I'm quite happy with it, being my first pj.

I haven't upgraded the firmware and my question is - any reason to do firmware upgrades
post #388 of 403 Old 05-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
Any recommendations on a 35' HDMI cable for this projector? I'm having the same issue with the 35' cable having a hard time locking on to the signal, my old projectors were fine with this setup so it's definitely an issue with this projector.
post #389 of 403 Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by snownskate View Post

Any recommendations on a 35' HDMI cable for this projector? I'm having the same issue with the 35' cable having a hard time locking on to the signal, my old projectors were fine with this setup so it's definitely an issue with this projector.
If you have easy access to swap out your HDMI cable, then an active Redmere cable may be the best option: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9171&seq=1&format=2

Otherwise, the highest gauge cable from your A/V receiver to the projector is the best choice: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2805&seq=1&format=2

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #390 of 403 Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10

Hey! Lucky I found this thread! maybe :) 

I bought one of these projectors 2 weeks ago and I cant deny I am very happy with it, for the price its somthing else. Bar one issue! :(

I have it hooked up to both a gaming PC and a PS3, the PS3 is what I would like to use it for 3D films and gaming but im having a mare setting it up.

Firstly when you set up the display on the PS3 using automatic it scans the display and determines it can output in 1080p so chooses this as the default output. Problem is, as I have noticed on here, it doesn't like 1080p from some devices thus it cant lock onto the signal and it flicks between the PS3 output, white noise and the blue screen.

At first I figured the projector was faulty as I tried 2 ps3's and 3 HDMI cables, all of which gave the same result. I took the projector back and they gave me a new one (I forgot to put the 3D glasses in the box, oppps :-) ha ha, so now have two pair! result) Anyho turns out the projector wasnt faulty, it just doesnt like the 1080p signal from the PS3.

Prob is running it in 720p it doesnt detect it as a 3D device so I cant play or watch 3D stuff on it..

Is this somthing anyone else has had a problem with? Any idea on solutions?

Thanks...

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread - Pjd7820hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page