VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 404 Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We've already determined there's something weird going on with the ps3 and this projector. Every other video source (pc, cable tv, bluray, xbox 360) is fine, but for some reason the ps3 produces a weird flicker effect. Maybe you could use a hdmi to dvi adapter and then a dvi to vga adapter into the projector. Don't know if this will fix it, but at least it will change the 1080p signal from digital to analog which might help. Analog signals are always on, but digital signals are not. There are either on or off; any variance below a certain threshold will be read as an off, and this projector seems to be sensitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 404 Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snownskate View Post

Any recommendations on a 35' HDMI cable for this projector? I'm having the same issue with the 35' cable having a hard time locking on to the signal, my old projectors were fine with this setup so it's definitely an issue with this projector.

I'm using a 50' cable without any issue, I had to carry on my blu ray and projector to the shop to get one that works, had similar issues as you had, at the end I got one that works.

post #393 of 404 Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherak View Post

Hey! Lucky I found this thread! maybe :) 

I bought one of these projectors 2 weeks ago and I cant deny I am very happy with it, for the price its somthing else. Bar one issue! :(

I have it hooked up to both a gaming PC and a PS3, the PS3 is what I would like to use it for 3D films and gaming but im having a mare setting it up.

Firstly when you set up the display on the PS3 using automatic it scans the display and determines it can output in 1080p so chooses this as the default output. Problem is, as I have noticed on here, it doesn't like 1080p from some devices thus it cant lock onto the signal and it flicks between the PS3 output, white noise and the blue screen.

At first I figured the projector was faulty as I tried 2 ps3's and 3 HDMI cables, all of which gave the same result. I took the projector back and they gave me a new one (I forgot to put the 3D glasses in the box, oppps :-) ha ha, so now have two pair! result) Anyho turns out the projector wasnt faulty, it just doesnt like the 1080p signal from the PS3.

Prob is running it in 720p it doesnt detect it as a 3D device so I cant play or watch 3D stuff on it..

Is this somthing anyone else has had a problem with? Any idea on solutions?

Thanks...

Don't know if it works for you, but with my blu-ray I had issues running 3Ds files from USB and I changed the blu ray resolution to 720p as someone suggested on this same forum, and it worked for me, give it a try, don't know if you can change the PS3 from full HD to 720p, but if you can, do it and see if it helps you out.

post #394 of 404 Old 06-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Chaps... I hope someone out there can help me....

I bought the 7820 and I've been desperately trying to get the 3D to work.... Can someone please put together a definitive guide on what I need to do to playback 3D from my PC?

I have the projector set up as an extended screen... and the option to enable stereoscopic 3d settings for all supported displays is ticked... yet no 3D source I play on the projector screen is detected by the glasses or the projector.... I did have some joy disconnecting my PC monitor and setting the stereoscopic player (I just found on the internet) to use AMD HD3D but the glasses just seemed to flash erratically and the image shown didn't really look 3D at all...just a blurred mess....

Complete Noob when it comes to all this so a setup guide would be useful....

fingers crossed... 

post #395 of 404 Old 06-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Well, I have used it several times through the PC and there is no specific 3D detection going on inside the projector that I can tell. It's just a switch. You turn 3D mode on the projector on and the screen will look like a weird jumbled mess. The glasses do all the work, which is why they are called active 3D glasses. You don't need any software on the computer. You need a video file that is already in 3D format and the projector just automatically decodes it to work in conjunction with the glasses. Hope this helps.
post #396 of 404 Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys,

What happens with the PS3 is it detects if it plugged into a 3D display and if so it will ask you some extra details when you set up your displays, this wasn't happening but as of yesterday it started detecting it as a 3D compatible device and allowed me to input the screen size as a setting.

I thought I had cracked it but when I go into the 3D ready games they do not detect the display as 3D and thus I cannot select the option to start the game in 3D.

I am a touch confused as to how the 3D menu works in the projector thou and the manual doesn't really shed any light.

post #397 of 404 Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Liked: 0
Hi Everybody!

I just bought a Viewsonic PJD7820HD and I just love it! The picture's clear and razor sharp after a little fiddling with the focus. I've played some games and watched a lot of movies and I really like the fact that this projector has a native resolution of 1080p. However, I read on some other forums that it scales all images. Why would it have to scale an image if the input is at 1080p? Am I watching scaled movies and not real 1080p? Also, when I tried to watch 3D movies with this projector, the max frequency is 24Hz, even though I'm using an HDMI 1.4 cable (which is the latest version of HDMI right?). The projector was listed as having a max frequency of 120Hz so I can't understand why I can't get 60Hz 3D at 1080p.

One thing I noticed while looking online is that the bandwidth of the HDMI cable is too low to support 60Hz at 1080p. Forgive me for being a noob here (this is my first projector) but would I be able to get 3D 1080p at 60Hz if I used a VGA cable?

I'm using my laptop that has Nvidia 3DVision with this projector. When I switch the resolution to 1080p 3D in the Nvidia control panel, the projector does some frame packing and this ends up cropping the picture so I can't view the whole desktop. The start button on the bottom left and the date and time on the right are cut off. Basically, all the extreme edges of the screen are cropped. How can I fix this? This didn't happen on my 3D LED TV (Samsung 55")

Thanks!
Mak.
post #398 of 404 Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In my experience, the PJD7820HD overscans 24Hz content. I drive it at 1080p60 to get 1:1 pixel mapping.

Framepacked 3D is limited to 1080p24:
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-3d-cont...-vs-broadcast/

Of course this means the projector overscans when it's receiving framepacked 3D content.

As the above link explains, framepacking is a special way of encoding the left and right eye images into a single frame, you can't recreate that using VGA.

HDMI 1.4a is limited to 1080p60 for 2D video (spec/bandwidth limitations). You can drive at 120Hz at a lower resolution (probably).

You can artificially resize the desktop to an effective lower resolution via Nvidia Control Panel to make the whole display visible, it's not ideal I realize.

There's nothing to stop you from using a different 3D standard like TAB or SBS @ 1080p60, although your worse off due to halving your effective resolution.

Last edited by nxsfan; 09-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.
post #399 of 404 Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post
In my experience, the PJD7820HD overscans 24Hz content. I drive it at 1080p60 to get 1:1 pixel mapping.

Framepacked 3D is limited to 1080p24:
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-3d-cont...-vs-broadcast/

Of course this means the projector overscans when it's receiving framepacked 3D content.

As the above link explains, framepacking is a special way of encoding the left and right eye images into a single frame, you can't recreate that using VGA.

HDMI 1.4a is limited to 1080p60 for 2D video (spec/bandwidth limitations). You can drive at 120Hz at a lower resolution (probably).

You can artificially resize the desktop to an effective lower resolution via Nvidia Control Panel to make the whole display visible, it's not ideal I realize.

There's nothing to stop you from using a different 3D standard like TAB or SBS @ 1080p60, although your worse off due to halving your effective resolution.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's overscanning? And what would happen if I did use VGA? Would I get no 3D at all? And how do I use SBS? I know that there are some 3D video files that are SBS Full HD like some of the sample 3D files I downloaded off the web. Can this projector do SBS? I've got a GTX 580M in my laptop but it's gonna be upgraded to a GTX 880M very soon, like within the next 5 days. I was thinking it was something to do with the graphics card and my new one could handle it better. Do I have to say goodbye to Full HD 1080p 3D at 60 or 60+ Hz?

Thanks a lot for the answers!

EDIT: [I googled overscan and understood the basic theory, but I'm still unclear as to whether the projector will add more lines to the image or take away from it. Also, how can I access overscan settings in this projector?]

Last edited by TheMak; 09-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.
post #400 of 404 Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMak View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's overscanning? And what would happen if I did use VGA? Would I get no 3D at all? And how do I use SBS? I know that there are some 3D video files that are SBS Full HD like some of the sample 3D files I downloaded off the web. Can this projector do SBS? I've got a GTX 580M in my laptop but it's gonna be upgraded to a GTX 880M very soon, like within the next 5 days. I was thinking it was something to do with the graphics card and my new one could handle it better. Do I have to say goodbye to Full HD 1080p 3D at 60 or 60+ Hz?

Thanks a lot for the answers!

EDIT: [I googled overscan and understood the basic theory, but I'm still unclear as to whether the projector will add more lines to the image or take away from it. Also, how can I access overscan settings in this projector?]
Overscan: The projector is doing what we don't want, it's cropping the outside of the image and then scaling the uncropped image to fill the view. I have no idea why devices overscan in this day and age. I don't think you can do anything to change this behavior.

Yes - you do have to say goodbye to Full HD 1080p 3D at 60 Hz, it's nothing to do with this projector it's just not possible in the HDMI 1.4a spec. By the time they come out with HDMI 2.0 projectors, they will probably be at 4K so you still won't be able to use 3D at 60Hz or higher at the native resolution.

Given the beefy graphics cards I'm guessing you want to game in 3D, hence the 24Hz is too low? IIRC Nvidia 3D vision arbitrarily restricts you to 1080p24 if an HDMI 1.4a device is detected. You'ld be in the same situation (limited to 3D in 1080p24) with virtually any modern consumer 3D projector.

The PJD7820HD is capable of processing SBS and TAB 3D images so like I said before you could game at ~1080p60, except you would be halving the linear resolution along one axis. This is probably better for gaming than true 1080p24. Your problem is finding a way to output in SBS mode. I don't believe you will make any progress with Nvidia 3D Vision or 3D Play, but you might have luck using the Tridef 3D drivers. You will most likely need to manually enable the desired 3D mode in the projector's menu.
TheMak likes this.
post #401 of 404 Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post
IIRC Nvidia 3D vision arbitrarily restricts you to 1080p24 if an HDMI 1.4a device is detected. You'ld be in the same situation (limited to 3D in 1080p24) with virtually any modern consumer 3D projector.

The PJD7820HD is capable of processing SBS and TAB 3D images so like I said before you could game at ~1080p60, except you would be halving the linear resolution along one axis. This is probably better for gaming than true 1080p24. Your problem is finding a way to output in SBS mode.

I've had similar experience with 3D Vision and wrestling with its limited resolution/refresh-rate combination support.

I did find that 720p@60hz worked fine in framepacked mode (and is apparently officially supported by Nvidia); so that may be a better option if available than trying to force SBS. It's also a reasonable compromise because as you say, gaming at 24hz is sluggish.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #402 of 404 Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 PM

I'm not very familiar with all of the terms people are using, but I can tell you that I use an AMD R6 260x (a fairly high-end AMD gaming card). I use the HDMI port and I set Catalyst to zoom the image a little so that it fills my projector screen. With a little bit of tweaking, I can confirm that I get all the edges of my screen and that nothing is cropped or missing. The projector says 1080p 60Hz. The picture quality is amazing.

I have always used AMD cards because I always use an AMD processor. I am pretty familiar with Catalyst settings and know how to get it to show the image I want on my projector and games.

If you are having problems with Nvidia settings, I would recommend trying an AMD card to do what you want and also save a few bucks.

Also, in 3D mode, I get the same settings. The only thing that changes is the expected double image before activating my glasses.
post #403 of 404 Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm looking to jump in and this sounds like the perfect projector.
post #404 of 404 Old 10-05-2014, 03:41 AM

Could someone who has this projector do me a huge favor: measure the minimum focus distance at both zoom extremes?

I am thinking to use this projector for a 3d structured light scanning setup. Viewsonic list minimum focus distance as 30", but that appears to be for the 1.15 throw ratio based upon the listed minimum image size. Other vendors (e.g. Acer) who sell projectors based on the same light engine list the minimum focus distance at 57", which appears to be for the 1.5 throw ratio based upon minimum projected image size specs.

I need a short minimum focal distance and need to use the 1.5 throw ratio. I hope the Viewsonic will fit my needs, but as it's specs seem to be an outlier from the other vendors, I have some concerns about their validity.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

John
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page