VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 396 Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, first of all THANK YOU for all this useful feedback and opinions! That being said, I could use some advice. I'm trying to find a replacement for my Optoma HD66. (primary use is HDTV and PC games) my research first led me to the newly released Acer 5370BD. Which is advertised as a "home theater projector" and I thought it had very impressive specs for being under $550. Then I heard about the ViewSonic 7820HD for an additional $150. The ViewSonic seems better on paper (higher contrast, resolution, and lumens) but its advertised as a "business projector", that's what concerned me the most. When it comes to these two projectors, will the ViewSonic always outperform the Acer?? Or is it possible that the Acer has a faster/better color wheel or something else that would make it a better "theater projector" than the ViewSonic?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 396 Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Hey guys, nice discussion in this thread.

I'm looking for an office projector for our conference room that is a little too bright. I'm a little confusion with projector's resolution because we use the room to display websites and apps. For example, we would log in our intranet site and talk about our forms, but they're made to work on higher resolutions (at least 1080). Our current projector is an Epson with the max resolution of x640 or x800 so it really can't show the entire page.

Extra info:
Room size: 17ft by 14ft (Projector can be as far as 14ft from screen)
3 windows with blinds

Is this Viewsonic a good fit?

Thanks in advance!
post #93 of 396 Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
post #94 of 396 Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the reply, krayne.
I read your review (I liked your site btw). I noticed this model was favorable in your eyes for home use.
But for exclusive office use, would you indicate it? Is there a better model at $700 price range?

Thank you so much!
post #95 of 396 Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hi Montesinnos, it's the opposite, I recommand this projector for office use and not for home use. smile.gif
post #96 of 396 Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 AM

@Kraine - Thanks for the reply as I will not be getting the PJD7820HD because of your review! I was happy with my Optoma HD66... Would you consider the new Acer H5370BD to be an upgrade from the HD66 with regards to home theater use? I can't seem to find ANY reviews on the H5370BD and it almost seems too good to be true at $549. Please advise!

THANK YOU!
post #97 of 396 Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I respect the work that Kraine has done but I don't entirely agree with his findings. Out of the laboratory, in real life with HD this projector produces a great picture. It is a beast out of the box, and very user unfriendly, but with patience and willingness to work with it over several days it can be made into a very good projector. It is not a good projector for the rainbow sensitive viewer or for someone who wants good out of the box performance. I couldn't disagree with Kraine more about the black level of this projector. This projector has significantly better black level than the H33 which I returned because of that very reason. My blacks are very satisfactory, far from gray, and that is no easy feat considering I have a Silverstar screen. I cannot comment on Kraine's findings regarding 3D but can only relate my experience that with my LG BD670 and super-cheap Okeba Ultralight Active Shutter Rechargeable Glasses For 3D DLP-LINK my 3D has been seamless, perfect and completely automatic. I have several 3D movies including last viewed Life of Pi which I can only describe as the most pristine, perfect image I have ever seen. My two sons both in their early 20's, have been around projectors since year 2000 described the image seen with Life of Pi as super-high def.
eric3316 and DumbGenius like this.
post #98 of 396 Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I think what Kraine is saying is a simple reiteration of the Viewsonic website which says this PJ is for the small office and home office.

This can be used in the home setting if you do your homework and you are not sensitive to RBE.

Quite a useful device for such an affordable price.
post #99 of 396 Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastinsince85 View Post

NOOB question. I have a small room maybe 8x15. No windows, underground, so no external source of light. With this projector in this room, will a screen make a noticeable difference, or can I project directly onto the wall. I've also heard that you can buy a special paint for the wall. Does anyone have experience with this?

Little late now but to provide more info on your painted wall question, as has been said, YMMV.

However, its not all bad.

I painted my wall for $20 with a simple neutral gray formula called EasyFlex-06 and here are the results:

davemurphy likes this.
post #100 of 396 Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

I think what Kraine is saying is a simple reiteration of the Viewsonic website which says this PJ is for the small office and home office.

This can be used in the home setting if you do your homework and you are not sensitive to RBE.

Quite a useful device for such an affordable price.

Based on Kraine's review I am sure he is not seeing what I am seeing and I am sure the opposite is true. Watched Prometheus 3D last night and the image was stunning and rock solid. I am not seeing rainbows in 3D mode whereas I notice them occasionally in 2D mode. This movie, which is very dark, however does reveal the weakness of the pjd7820hd on its own. It is essential that you have some external method to control the color/contrast etc otherwise it would be very disappointing in 3D mode. 2D is not a problem because those controls are active.
post #101 of 396 Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM

Watching this thread for the past few days, I am seriously looking for a budget 1080P 3D home cinema pj. Being on the fence for this can't decide whether I will bite the bullet and go for it..... I have a 17' x 14' room which houses my 4 year old Optoma HD70 which I am getting rid of very soon as it is time already to adapt the new 1080P (with 3D). I also use a PS3 with a Yamaha RX-V473 for my home theatre. Need more time to decide..... Any advice will be appreciated.
post #102 of 396 Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Have a similar room and would like to purchase this or a similar 1080P 3D PJ. Only thing is I will be using it for home entertainment. confused.gif
post #103 of 396 Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian View Post

It was designed to be a data projector. A home theater projector should have a faster color wheel. I should get a first look at it tomorrow.

Interesting, there's a thread on the Acer H6510BD that has the same speed and they're also talking about other PJ's in this class and all for movie viewing. Is this not common practice?
post #104 of 396 Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 17
So after much deliberating between this one and the Acer H6510BD I finally pulled the trigger on the ViewSonic. I got lucky and managed to snag the last one left on Newegg for $700!

I ended up picking it on the basis that it's $20 cheaper and a more reliable brand. I plan on using it mainly for 3D PC gaming (hopefully it's compatible with AMD & TriDef 3D; I don't see why it wouldn't be).

I'll answer any questions anyone has once it arrives (hopefully by Wednesday). I also bought a pair of SainSonic 144hz glasses.
post #105 of 396 Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 11
Thank you Psythik,
Looking forward for your overview and comments.

So many ideas, so little money!
post #106 of 396 Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is decent entry level projector. The color is garish out of the box so it takes some time to tone it down since there are no simple color controls. For 3D viewing a 3D Blu-Ray Player like the LG BD670 model, that has some color, contrast, and brightness controls is a must since the projector disables most picture controls in 3D mode and presents by default a washed out picture. If you can live with and address those limitations it is a good deal. Even I, who up to now did not consider myself to be sensitive to RBE, can see color separation in certain scenes. I can live with it but if you are sensitive or object to RBE than it is not for you.
post #107 of 396 Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Hey there! I got this proj 2 weeks ago and couldt be happier! Im using it as a theater system to play games and watch 1080 movies! Havent tried 2d yet. I actually got decent colors outta the box! And not using a screen either! I highly recommend it... its so easy to install and delivers great images! Blacks and white are great too.... not noisy although it does throw off a fair bit of heat... and yes it really is a proper short throw projector! Thanks for helping me make up my mind with this purchase!
post #108 of 396 Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Well even though this is my first projector and I've only owned it for an evening I can comfortably say that my feelings about it are mixed. Before I go into detail, here's a summary of my thoughts. If you don't want the details just read this part:
This projector is great for gamers, DJs, teachers, and businessmen. It has a bright image, 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI, fast response time, and no input lag. I cannot recommend it for home theater use thanks to its bright image and mediocre contrast. (EDIT: After further adjustment, I can recommend this for home theater use. See my updated post for more info)

So with that being said, I'll start off by confirming that this projector does indeed seem similar to the Acer H6510BD. I don't own one, but just about everything in Projector Central's review of it applies to the ViewSonic, save for the color gain/bias settings they recommend.

Out of the box picture is poor, but short of calibration you can get an accurate enough image to please non-videophiles with these settings:

EDIT: See my updated settings in this post.
Color Mode: User (1 or 2)
Reference Mode: Dynamic Movie (or Movie if you need more brightness)
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 0
BrilliantColor: On
Noise Reduction: 0
Gamma: 7 (EDIT: After some more messing around I've decided 7 is closer to 2.2 across the board. 3 is actually closer with RGB, but makes W way too high)
Color Temp: T2
HDMI Range: Enhanced

Normally, it's recommended to turn off all image enhancements for the most natural, accurate picture from a TV or projector, but in this case, turning them off actually reduces color accuracy.

Gamers are going to fall in love with this projector. There's virtually zero input lag, and its response time is even faster than my gaming LCD! Here's proof:
Response time vs LCD

And here's the response time compared to a CRT (which as you know serves as a baseline since they do not lag at all):
Response time vs CRT
Somehow this thing appears to have the same input lag as a CRT (read: none). That's crazy good. It actually appears to have negative lag thanks to the rolling shutter effect. The fact that this projector updates the image faster than my camera can scan the entire scene to produce a photo is a very good sign. As you can see from the blurring of the numbers that response time is very good as well by non CRT standards.

I can also confirm that this projector does in fact provide a 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI so long as you use an RGB source (like a computer) & set the projector to RGB mode (or just leave it on auto):

I used this test pattern to determine pixel mapping.

So, like I said, if you're a gamer on a budget, don't hesitate -- you need this projector.

Moving on, I can't help but be disappointed by this projector's brightness. But before I get into it let me give you an idea of my setup: I've placed the projector 2.7m away from the wall and 41.5" from the ground (any lower and my head gets in the way of the image). With full zoom this gives me a 104" picture (1" image size for every 1" the projector is away from the wall), with the bottom of the image 44" from the ground. Sitting 6' away from the screen, I have to look up towards the image; not exactly ideal. Thankfully my couch reclines, but ideally you should either be sitting behind the projector or ceiling mount it for the most comfortable experience.

Anyway, back to brightness: at this distance, I end up with a picture that's too bright to be used at night, but not bright enough to use during the day without drawing the blinds. Unfortunately I'll have to settle with it like this since I use it during all times of the day in various lighting conditions. I will say this, though: In a medium-sized room with 2 windows, both with the blinds drawn (no blackout curtains necessary), the image is satisfactory. This leaves me with room that's bright enough to see everything clearly both in the room and on the screen, just not deep blacks. This is in a room with ambient lighting at about 25-30 lux when the projector is off (measured using my Galaxy S III's light sensor).

See, now this is what's frustrating about this projector: It's not bright enough to replace a TV unless you plan on having a 60" image, but too bright to be used in a cinema unless you plan on having a 200" image. However, during the day this projector is still brighter than my 10-year-old 57" SONY rear projection HDTV; by 2003 standards this projector would kick the crap out of any TV of the time. Problem is that we don't live in 2003 anymore.

The ho-hum image contrast really sticks out like a sore thumb in darker movies, but looks stunning (after calibration) during bright scenes. Let me give you an idea of what to expect using this test pattern:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

On my gaming LCD, I can distinguish every shade of black down to 3. With this projector: at night the first row of blacks is indistinguishable. During the day, it's the first two rows (EDIT: With gamma on 7 I can now distinguish the second row during the day). Therefore, number 5 gives you an idea of the blackest this projector can go. Very disappointing indeed. On the bright side (pun intended), whites are so accurate that I can distinguish every single step all the way up to 255. Keep in mind that these observations are made with the color settings I mentioned earlier. Hopefully contrast will improve with calibration. (EDIT: Contrast did improve with calibration, and I can now distinguish every single black step down to 0. See my updated post for more info.)

Speaking of night watching: like I said it's way too bright at 104", however, turning off Brilliant Color dims the image quite a bit, but leaves you with an image that's still too bright. DynamicEco is the extra boost you need to further dim the image. Problem is that this feature appears to be bugged. First off, while it dims the picture to more acceptable levels at night, it also makes it flicker quite a bit. Not really noticable during a movie, but obvious during web browsing. Also, the words "DynamicEco On" appear on the top left of the screen and won't go away until you turn it off. Lastly, pushing any button on the remote turns it off. It's like ViewSonic doesn't want you to use it for more than a couple minutes at a time, but at the same time advertise this feature prominently and brag about how much longer it makes your lamp last. I don't get it, and hopefully a firmware update will fix it. (EDIT: I was confusing DynamicEco with another Lamp setting. DynamicEco is for saving lamp life when you step away for a few minutes. It still works for making the image darker at night if you don't mind the issues I mentioned with it)

I should also mention, thanks to its front-venting design, I can see the heat waves emanating from the projector on the bottom right corner of the picture. It's only noticeable on white backgrounds, and thankfully not too distracting. (EDIT: These went away after about a month)

Rainbows. I am extremely sensitive to them. With this projector, whether or not I notice them depends on the content. Browsing the web, I don't see them at all. Watching bright movies or playing most games, I see them here and there but they're not too distracting. Now dark content, or anything with a lot of small bright objects on a dark background: OH. MY GOD. They're everywhere. I actually had to turn off The Dark Knight Rises halfway through because it was very literally making me nauseated, and I don't get motion sickness ever. Still, for 75% of content they're not too distracting so I'm not about to return this thing.

I ended up typing way more than I expected, and I haven't even gotten to 3D yet! That will have to wait until my glasses come in. What I will say, though, is that turning on 3D mode cranks the brightness to extreme levels, presumably to compensate for the glasses. Personally I don't want this happening so hopefully you can turn it off.

In conclusion: I can recommend this projector if it's your first and you're not a movie buff, but if all you do is watch movies you're better off plopping down a solid chunk of change for a high-quality, dedicated home theater projector. But as a general multipurpose projector for stuff like TV watching, LAN parties, DJ light shows, and PowerPoint presentations, you can't do any better for $699.

Here's a gallery of some pics I took of the projector in action during the day with the blinds slightly drawn so that there's still plenty of light coming into the room. It looks better in person, but not by much (and apparently my phone is more sensitive to rainbows than I am!):
http://imgur.com/a/xZKk5

I'll report back with my thoughts on 3D either later this evening or tomorrow.

EDIT: I've noticed that if you take Projector Central's calibration numbers for the Acer H6510BD and halve them, it seems to put the colors more in line, therefore resulting in these settings:
R Gain: 50
G Gain: 47
B Gain: 48
R Offset: 0
G Offset:
B Offset: 0

EDIT: These are the settings you use if you decide to turn BrilliantColor On. I advise against it for the most accurate colors. See my updated post for more info.

I determined this just from eyeballing this test pattern, though, so take it with a grain of salt. Oh and don't forget to save your color settings or they revert next time you use the projector.
post #109 of 396 Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM

Now for that 3D overview I promised. Like I mentioned before I was wary of how much the projector cranked the brightness, but 3D shutter glasses are a lot dimmer than I thought, so it was for a good reason.

The 3D picture itself looks great, especially at 1920x1080x24. Movies give me that theaterlike experience. Ghosting is mostly non-existent, though it does show up a little bit in Top/Bottom mode. Left/Right & Frame Sequential shows no ghosting.

Unlike what leckian said, the picture doesn't look washed out in the least bit. Blacks become slightly more grey, but other than that the image is no worse than it is in 2D. It sucks that you can't adjust the color controls in 3D, but it looks good enough that I can overlook that.

My only issue is that 1280x720x60 is very muddy. This is expected since the image scales, but it's really distracting and makes my beautiful PC games look like console crap. I'm trying to see if I can figure out how to get 1:1 mapping on non-native resolutions, that way I can just zoom in a bit to fill the screen. Hopefully this is a feature, just gotta go digging around in the settings.
post #110 of 396 Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

Now for that 3D overview I promised. Like I mentioned before I was wary of how much the projector cranked the brightness, but 3D shutter glasses are a lot dimmer than I thought, so it was for a good reason.

The 3D picture itself looks great, especially at 1920x1080x24. Movies give me that theaterlike experience. Ghosting is mostly non-existent, though it does show up a little bit in Top/Bottom mode. Left/Right & Frame Sequential shows no ghosting.

Unlike what leckian said, the picture doesn't look washed out in the least bit. Blacks become slightly more grey, but other than that the image is no worse than it is in 2D. It sucks that you can't adjust the color controls in 3D, but it looks good enough that I can overlook that.

My only issue is that 1280x720x60 is very muddy. This is expected since the image scales, but it's really distracting and makes my beautiful PC games look like console crap. I'm trying to see if I can figure out how to get 1:1 mapping on non-native resolutions, that way I can just zoom in a bit to fill the screen. Hopefully this is a feature, just gotta go digging around in the settings.

What % brightness do the you feel the projector looses when put into 3D Mode?? Could you give a video or picture of the diff in brightness from 2D mode and 3D mode??
post #111 of 396 Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM

I see no discernable loss in brightness from 3D mode; like I said, just slightly poorer blacks. If anything, there's a 5% loss at the very most. Daytime pics don't come out too well (just look at the gallery I linked to to see what I mean), so tonight I'll snap a bunch of pics comparing the same content in 2D & 3D. I'll try to get you a video too but my DSL's upload speed is ridiculously slow so no guarantees.

Last night I watched Wreck it Ralph in 3D and it looked just as good as it did in the theater, even though it was a BDRip (I don't own a Blu Ray player). Turing DynamicEco on to save power did make some scenes a little dim even at night (still visible, though), but with it off the picture looks stunning. I turn BrilliantColor off at night so the picture isn't blinding, so even with everything at its darkest setting possible (except for lamp mode: I can't switch it to ECO because it's greyed out and I don't know why), you can still see everything in 3D. You can thank this projector's high lumen output for that.

Also, I might've found the solution for muddy 720p graphics. This projector adds all sorts of odd resolutions to my graphics card. Anyway, one of the resolutions (I think it's something like 1770x1000 or some weird number like that) is pretty damn close to 1080p but runs at a higher hz in 3D resulting in more FPS. It's not 1:1 but looks way clearer than 720p, and despite the weird ratio, still displays at 16:9. I haven't fully tested it yet to see if it will let you go all the way to 60 FPS in 3D (mostly because my PC is so old I only get 25-30 FPS in most new games anyway), so I'll report back with confirmation tonight when I get you those pics. According to the manual, it can do up to 1050p (1400x1050) @ 60Hz over HDMI, but that's a 4:3 resolution. I haven't gotten it to work anyway.

EDIT: 1770x1000 tops off at 30Hz. Acceptable for console games, but not PCs. 1366x768 is the highest 16:9 resolution you can have @ 60Hz (still haven't tested 4:3 resolutions). So it's a bit of a tradeoff between having a clearer picture & being able to see objects further off in the distance, or being able to aim more accurately & judge distance better (critical in a game like DayZ) thanks to the added depth. Personally I prefer the latter.
post #112 of 396 Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Question. Can you hook the projector to a PC and as well?? Reason being is that i want to see how the 3D brightness is effected on a PC. Usually, on a pc, the brightness seems to go down more then if you had it hooked up to a 3D blue ray player. Can you hook it up to a computer that can do 3D?? Like try to watch a youtube video in 3D. A good pic of a 2D shot vs a 3D shot will help alot.
post #113 of 396 Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM

I would probably like to get this projector but I hate that I would have to buy new DLP glasses. I currently have 2 pairs of the Optoma BG-ZD101 120htz glasses and would have to sell them and buy 2 pairs of 144 htz glasses. I wonder if you can still use 120 htz glasses with this projector somehow??
post #114 of 396 Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

Question. Can you hook the projector to a PC and as well?? Reason being is that i want to see how the 3D brightness is effected on a PC. Usually, on a pc, the brightness seems to go down more then if you had it hooked up to a 3D blue ray player. Can you hook it up to a computer that can do 3D?? Like try to watch a youtube video in 3D. A good pic of a 2D shot vs a 3D shot will help alot.

Well if you read my posts, you'd know that I mainly use this thing for PC gaming, and it works great for that purpose (I don't even own a blu ray player or game console). You'd also know that I already stated that brightness is the same in 2D and 3D. To be fair, though, I did type a wall of text, but a little reading never hurt anyone!

And yes, YouTube 3D works great. I watched a couple concerts on YT and I felt like I was actually there. It's amazing.

Due to the fact that I don't own a camera with a full manual mode, It's gonna be hard getting some photos that actually represent what the projector looks like. I already promised earlier that I would, so I'll do my best. Stay tuned.
post #115 of 396 Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM

Ok so I tried to take some 2D vs 3D comparison photos but unfortunately I couldn't get consistent enough results to accurately represent this projector's output. I could've lied and posted exposure adjusted photos to make the image look better than it really is, but I wouldn't do that to you guys. The only way to get a good representative shots is to have a professional photographer with a DSLR do it. I have access to neither so I apologize for not delivering. Sorry guys.
post #116 of 396 Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Ok so I tried to take some 2D vs 3D comparison photos but unfortunately I couldn't get consistent enough results to accurately represent this projector's output. I could've lied and posted exposure adjusted photos to make the image look better than it really is, but I wouldn't do that to you guys. The only way to get a good representative shots is to have a professional photographer with a DSLR do it. I have access to neither so I apologize for not delivering. Sorry guys.

yeah, its hard to get pictures that see it the way you see it. I just took some for the viewsonic pjd5533w on 2D vs 3D and I managed to come up with 1 set that showed the diff a bit in brightness. But if you say there isn't much then I'll take you at your word. Thanks though.
post #117 of 396 Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:

I ended up picking it on the basis that it's $20 cheaper and a more reliable brand. I plan on using it mainly for 3D PC gaming (hopefully it's compatible with AMD & TriDef 3D; I don't see why it wouldn't be).

s[/URL].

I to use Tridef and AMD. Did you have any problems with the projector working with tridef?? What do you do first, before opening the tridef program?? Do you first put the projector in side-by-side 3D mode or what. Right now i have a viewsonic pjd5533w that i got this week but am sending it back because it looses to much brightness when switching to 3D mode. The problem is that when i run tridef it keeps wanting to switch my computer to 120 htz 3D mode that it used with the previous projector before it that used only 120 htz 3D. Got to keep it from trying to put my refresh rate to 120 htz and keep it at 60 htz and just switch it to side-by-side.
post #118 of 396 Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

I to use Tridef and AMD. Did you have any problems with the projector working with tridef?? What do you do first, before opening the tridef program?? Do you first put the projector in side-by-side 3D mode or what. Right now i have a viewsonic pjd5533w that i got this week but am sending it back because it looses to much brightness when switching to 3D mode. The problem is that when i run tridef it keeps wanting to switch my computer to 120 htz 3D mode that it used with the previous projector before it that used only 120 htz 3D. Got to keep it from trying to put my refresh rate to 120 htz and keep it at 60 htz and just switch it to side-by-side.
TriDef is working fine for me. What I had to do is launch the game without TriDef, set the resolution to 1366x768@60Hz (or lower) (EDIT: Turns out this isn't true. You can get 1080p from TriDef by going into its settings and selecting "Standard Display Types", then pick either Side-By-Side or Top-Bottom mode from the drop-down. Of course it's not true 1080p, but it's a lot sharper than upscaled 720p), then restart the game with TriDef and it works just fine. The projector automatically switches to 3D (EDIT: You have to manually put it in 3D when gaming in TaB/SbS), and if anything, I gain brightness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian View Post

I was able to enter the service menu of this projector and there are tons of settings. There are a few I have tried but the changes do not save and they revert back for factory default. For one there is dynamic black mode that is set to off by factory. When I put it on I can see an improvement in the picture, even with the lights on but it will not save and reverts back to off. Does anyone know have to save the settings in the service menu?

Hey, leckian, how do you get into the service menu? I can't find anything on Google. Can you navigate it with the arrow keys like the regular menu? I ask this because last time I went into the service menu for something I accidently hit the wrong button and nearly fried my monitor.
post #119 of 396 Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM

Ok so I usually turn off BrilliantColor at night for a darker picture, then back on during the day. Only this morning, it wouldn't turn on. There is nothing I can do to get it to turn back on, and I can't figure out why. Factory resetting doesn't fix it.

What would cause it to get stuck off, and how can I fix it? I can't believe there's no instructions for entering the service menu anywhere on the web. I could really use some help!
post #120 of 396 Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TriDef is working fine for me. What I had to do is launch the game without TriDef, set the resolution to 1366x768@60Hz (or lower), then restart the game with TriDef and it works just fine. The projector automatically switches to 3D, and if anything, I gain brightness.
Hey, leckian, how do you get into the service menu? I can't find anything on Google. Can you navigate it with the arrow keys like the regular menu? I ask this because last time I went into the service menu for something I accidently hit the wrong button and nearly fried my monitor.

Enter main menu of projector and then simultaneous push the (source) and the (mode enter) button on the projector panel itself, and you will see 7 little boxes in the upper left hand side of screen.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page