AVS Forum banner

VIEWSONIC PJD7820HD PROJ 3000 LUMENS 1080p 3D using cheap d-link Glasses less than $700

85K views 413 replies 91 participants last post by  nxsfan 
#1 ·
This could be a good starter projector for someone. Features are great with 1080P and D-Link 3D. I pre-ordered one to play with since my Epson 8500UB is not 3D.

Here are some basic specs.

Brightness 3000 Lumens

Contrast Ratio15,000:1 (w/DynamicEco™)

Aspect Ratio16:9 (native)

Color Wheel6-seg RGBCYW / 7200rpm

Color Depth 30 bits, 1.07B Color (10+10+10)Color

Obviously not a home theater projector but it looks like fun nonetheless.

Lamp Life (normal/eco-mode)4000 / 6000 hours* (Normal / Eco-mode)

Once I get it I will post a review.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_22983885

This could be a good starter projector for someone. Features are great with 1080P and D-Link 3D. I pre-ordered one to play with since my Epson 8500UB is not 3D.

Here are some basic specs.

Brightness 3000 Lumens

Contrast Ratio15,000:1 (w/DynamicEco™)

Aspect Ratio16:9 (native)

Color Wheel6-seg RGBCYW / 7200rpm

Color Depth 30 bits, 1.07B Color (10+10+10)Color

Obviously not a home theater projector but it looks like fun nonetheless.

Lamp Life (normal/eco-mode)4000 / 6000 hours* (Normal / Eco-mode)

Once I get it I will post a review.

would be interested in knowing how this one turns out when you get it. I would especially like to know how much brightness is lost in 3D mode. I have an older viewsonic pjd6211 and at the end of this year i want to make a good jump in getting something better. Could you figure a way of measuring the lumen output in 3D mode?? could you make a video of this projector in use in both normal eco mode and in 3D mode or take some pics with a camera that can accurately show the diff in brightness??

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_22991879

would be interested in knowing how this one turns out when you get it. I would especially like to know how much brightness is lost in 3D mode. I have an older viewsonic pjd6211 and at the end of this year i want to make a good jump in getting something better. Could you figure a way of measuring the lumen output in 3D mode?? could you make a video of this projector in use in both normal eco mode and in 3D mode or take some pics with a camera that can accurately show the diff in brightness??

Once I get it I can do some of that and post it. Cost only $699..was surprised to see it has CMS built-in...probably not good for someone sensitive to rainbows though.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_22995714

Also, please make note how big a projected image you get with it and how far away you have that projector to get that image. It seems to be pretty new cause its hard to find much info on it..of personal use that is
Here is link to owners manual...it has throw distance chart.
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/assets/149/28077.pdf

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_22996596

Here is link to owners manual...it has throw distance chart.
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/assets/149/28077.pdf

Yeah, I check out the PFD file on that yesterday but what I've come to find is that they don't always match real world use. Once you have a good image size that is bright enough for you and has plenty of contrast let me know what size image you get and how far away the projector is. Another thing i couldn't find is what type of 3D does this projector use. Does it use Page Flipping, side by side, interlaced or what?? The main thing i want to know though is the brightness in 3D mode compared to normal mode.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_23000109

Yeah, I check out the PFD file on that yesterday but what I've come to find is that they don't always match real world use. Once you have a good image size that is bright enough for you and has plenty of contrast let me know what size image you get and how far away the projector is. Another thing i couldn't find is what type of 3D does this projector use. Does it use Page Flipping, side by side, interlaced or what?? The main thing i want to know though is the brightness in 3D mode compared to normal mode.

The 3D glasses make any projector look significantly dimmer but with a rating of 3000 lumens there is reason to assume that your projected 3D picture, adjusted to compensate for the 3D glasses, will be bright enough.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_23000608

The 3D glasses make any projector look significantly dimmer but with a rating of 3000 lumens there is reason to assume that your projected 3D picture, adjusted to compensate for the 3D glasses, will be bright enough.

Yeah, I know that shutter glasses technology blocks out 50% of the light but my concern is how much brightness is lost when the projector is put in 3D mode. As far as I know, when any 3D projector is switched into 3d mode there is always lost of brightness cause its almost dividing the brightness into 2 images. For example, My projector is a viewsonic pj6211 that has 2500 lumens brightness. when I switch my projector into 3D the brightness drop from 2500 to about 1100 lumens. So you take the loss of projector brightness and add that with the loss of brightness from the shutter glasses and it isn't very bright. That's why i want to know how much is loss in lumens when the projector is put in 3D mode.

#10 ·
newbie question - why do you say 'obviously not a home theater projector". My newbie impression is that 1080p, 3000lum, 150000:1 all speak home theater ... certainly not going to use the projectors tiny speakers, but I doubt many would in any projector even if much better than this. What spec is it missing to be 'home theater" (besides Crestron / ethernet- can just use the rs232 instead)

thanks

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_23013064

newbie question - why do you say 'obviously not a home theater projector". My newbie impression is that 1080p, 3000lum, 150000:1 all speak home theater ... certainly not going to use the projectors tiny speakers, but I doubt many would in any projector even if much better than this. What spec is it missing to be 'home theater" (besides Crestron / ethernet- can just use the rs232 instead)

thanks
It was designed to be a data projector. A home theater projector should have a faster color wheel. I should get a first look at it tomorrow.

#12 ·
Do you see rainbows, leckian? I'm pretty sensitive myself so I'll be curious to see how you feel about the color wheel speed. Amazing price for a 1080p projector let alone one with hdmi 1.4a 3D.

#14 ·
I have received this projector and viewed it briefly. I don't think you will find a better projector for $699. This projector doesn't pretend to be a home theater projector....when you use the HDMI input the color, tint, and sharpness control are grayed out and unusable. I think this could be a deal breaker for some people. That is a big negative especially if you want quickly want to adjust the colors. There is a CMS system that will allow great control over the picture but that is a time consuming process that I will attempt in the next few days. For people using a a-v receiver that have video color controls that could help to make small adjustments, The projector is brighter than my Epson 8500UB but it feels like the 3000 lumen rating is an overstatement. My only other experience for comparison with cheap 1080P projectors is with the Optoma H33 and the PJD7820HD clearly has superior black level. I consider the black level of the Optoma to be unacceptable while the Viewsonic represents an approximately 20% improvement making it barely adequate. That is not a bad thing considering the price tag. The 3D I will not be able to test until the 3D glasses I ordered arrive. I am not sensitive to rainbows but I imagine those who are would have a problem. I will try to update this by Sunday as long as I receive my glasses by Saturday.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_23020277

I'm not sure if you have your projector hooked up to a computer or 3D player devise, but can you switch your projector to 3D mode just to see how much the brightness goes down when in 3D mode??
I have no glasses yet or 3D DVD player...both are going to be here soon. I switched to Comcast 3D program...the brightness loss is not huge but the contrast disappears and the image looks washed out. Unfortunately when in 3D mode all color, brightness, and color controls are disabled. The glasses could help with the washed out picture but that remains to be seen. Some external method of controlling the image would probably be needed to get the best picture in 3D mode.

#17 ·
If you had to estimate how much brightness was lost would you say, 60%, 50% or 40%. My blacks get washed out in 3D mode to but i figured out how to maintain some blacks. On my projector there is a setting in the OPTION menu where you can turn Brilliant Color on or Off. Now, you don't want to turn that off when your using the projector in normal mode, that makes it worse, but if you turn that off while in 3D mode it will get rid of some of the gamma and give you some better blacks. The only problem is that when you turn that off it does loose some brightness. But, with a white scrreen or high gain screen it will give some brightness back

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_23020638

If you had to estimate how much brightness was lost would you say, 60%, 50% or 40%. My blacks get washed out in 3D mode to but i figured out how to maintain some blacks. On my projector there is a setting in the OPTION menu where you can turn Brilliant Color on or Off. Now, you don't want to turn that off when your using the projector in normal mode, that makes it worse, but if you turn that off while in 3D mode it will get rid of some of the gamma and give you some better blacks. The only problem is that when you turn that off it does loose some brightness. But, with a white scrreen or high gain screen it will give some brightness back
I tried turning off brilliant color and switching to 3D mode but the projector automatically goes back to brilliant color on when you switch to 3D. The loss of brightness is not huge...I would say no more than 20%...plus I was using it in the economy lamp mode so I could add a little brightness by switching to normal mode. The loss of contrast/pop in the picture though is dramatic. I want to see how it looks with the 3D glasses...if it is too washed out I will see if the DVD player has some picture controls or look for some other external control.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian  /t/1459077/viewsonic-pjd7820hd-proj...ap-d-link-glasses-less-than-700#post_23020764

I tried turning off brilliant color and switching to 3D mode but the projector automatically goes back to brilliant color on when you switch to 3D. The loss of brightness is not huge...I would say no more than 20%...plus I was using it in the economy lamp mode so I could add a little brightness by switching to normal mode. The loss of contrast/pop in the picture though is dramatic. I want to see how it looks with the 3D glasses...if it is too washed out I will see if the DVD player has some picture controls or look for some other external control.

Try turning on 3D mode first then turn of Brilliant color.

#25 ·
I was able to enter the service menu of this projector and there are tons of settings. There are a few I have tried but the changes do not save and they revert back for factory default. For one there is dynamic black mode that is set to off by factory. When I put it on I can see an improvement in the picture, even with the lights on but it will not save and reverts back to off. Does anyone know have to save the settings in the service menu?

#26 ·
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy the PJD7820HD? I pre-ordered for J&R but uncertain when it will arrive. I'm new to the Projector world and bought a cheapy PJD5133. It looks great for the price but since I want to use my computer with the projector, the 800x600 resolution isn't good enough. Otherwise, I'd be happy enough watching TV and Netflix on it.

I am returning the PJD5133 and have been trying to figure out if the PJD7820HD is released? Or where I can get one? Or how long I can expect to wait for my pre-order? I know you can't help with all of these questions but if you have any info, it would be much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.