Question about Panasonic AE8000U Cinema Scope to 16X9 (zoom) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I just bought a Panasonic AE8000U projector for my media room. I have not bought my screen yet but am looking at a Cinema scope screen (138" - ~127x54"). The plan is to Zoom into fill the entire screen on 2:35 widescreen movies and zoom out to 110" (~97"x54") when watching 16x9.. So to test this and to prove out the needed throw distance I have the Panasonic projector sitting on it's box about 1' off the floor with lens shift at about 75% of the max. Projected image is about 3' off the ground..

Question 2).. measuring the image there is a slight trapezoidal effect when using the lens shift.. (about 1" difference top to bottom over 127").. I was led to believe lens shift was not supposed to require keyhole to fix this.. Is this correct?

So when I zoom in and play a 2.35 scope image. It looks great. I mask out the screen (127x54) on the wall. I then switch to 16x9 and it zooms back to 97x54.. (does this automatically by video content btw.. greatness)..here is the problem. It shifts the entire image down 18". I have to readjust the len shift (manual) between the images sizes..

This make the zoom worthless. I can't find anything in the manual about how to set this up.

My current thought is you can not use lens shift if you plan to zoom.. Meaning i need to buy a different mount.

Question 2) So can any Panasonic users/ auto "zoomer" out there that have set this up please help me out.

Thanks

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You'll get a better response over in the Official Owner's Thread for the PT-AE8000U.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432437/official-owners-thread-panasonic-pt-ae8000u-us-version-pt-at6000e-european-version

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Did you get this figured out?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Did you get this figured out?
The only reason an image would not be square on the screen is because the projector is not square to the screen. Lens shift does not introduce keystoning, only tilting the projector does. The projector must be 100% level, then zooming and changing lens shift will have zero impact on the squarenesss of the image on screen.
Archaea likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes!.. I was told I could flush mount the projector and use lens shift. Well that is true if you don't want to use Zoom. I had to buy another mount that would put the projector to the top of the screen.

BTW! Using the Zoom to Auto zoom between 16x9 to Cinema Scope(2.35) is Amazing.. I did not install Drapes/panels to block sides when in 16x9.. I don't notice the white screen on sides of the cinema scope screen! Only down side is when movie/tv directors use both 16x9 and 2.35 in one movie.. Projector keeps adjusting back and forth.. I end up turning off auto zoom.

Thanks for checking smile.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

2.40:1 is the proper ratio for the ae800u's auto function instead of 2.35:1 right!?!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #7 of 11 Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

2.40:1 is the proper ratio for the ae800u's auto function instead of 2.35:1 right!?!

It's whatever you want. The AE8000 has 6 lens memories, so you could have 1.33, 1.66,1.78, 1.85, 2.35, and 2.40 if you want.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-17-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Michael Sargent,

Do the custom lens memory saves work with the automatic aspect ratio switching the Panasonic does - or is that a fixed memory setting? I mean does the Panasonic detect when there is 4:3 content for instance and automatically switch to that memory? Sorry I don't have the panasonic yet and am trying to figure out its capabilities.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yes.

But having said that I have to admit that I only have two lens memories set up, one for "normal" 16x9 video and on for CinemaScope (2.39:1) size. The AE8000 does a great job of automatically detecting and switching between the two (zoom and focus). Occasionally there is a disk with grey bars instead of black bars and you need to manually switch settings, but that's pretty rare. I only have two because most images work well with those two settings. I don't mind a very small set of black bars above and below on some movies. For the occasional odd-ball (like The Big Trail (1930) at 2.20:1), I'll either live with it or manually tweak the zoom.

Mike
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the same problem right now on my AE8000U. When I don't use the joystick lens shift it works fine. (meaning when the joystick lens shift is in the default middle indent position). When I've used lens shift I have the exact same problem you described in your original post. Panasonic support says you can use lens shift, but couldn't help me get it figured out on the phone through 2 first tier agents today. 2nd tier is supposed to call me tomorrow.

I suspect you can't use physical lens shift.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #11 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured it out after some additional playing around. Panasonic level 1 support wasn't helpful, courteous yes, helpful no. Their tier 2 support is apparently closed over the weekend so that explains why I didn't get the call back I expected and was told I'd receive today.

Anyway - to the fix:

1) put the lens knob joystick on the front of the projector in the middle indent so there is no lens shift.
2) hang the projector and level it using a bubble level.
3) put a 16x9 image on the screen (the lens test image works fine)
4) use the lens knob joystick to place the image on the center of the screen - using the zoom and focus to perfect the display --- SAVE this setting under the lens memory as 16x9
5) Throw in a 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 movie and play it. The image will appear too small. Use the zoom and focus to perfect the display, when you get it to the right size it will be too low. So use the v-area position under the lens control to raise the 2.35:1 image. In my case I had to raise it +20. -- SAVE this setting as scope under lens memory.
6) enable Auto Switching.

Fixed! Now your screen will automatically switch content while you have some lens offset with the physical knob.

My failure was that I was trying to adjust it to the scope option first so I could perfect the screen fill. (makes sense right? getting the left and right distances correct? -- sure makes sense to me - so I was getting the screen centered and vertically adjusted for scope) but when the projector went to 16x9 mode the picture would be off the top of the projector screen because the 16x9 is taller than scope. Trying to drop the image using the digital lens controls would actually just cutoff screen area, basically cutting off the actors heads. So you can't really modify 16x9 picture much vertically because it already uses the whole vertical span. However you CAN modify the scope screen vertically and not lose image - so you have to do the 16x9 adjustment first and then do the scope. Simple order of configuration made it work!

If you were using a desk mount with physical lens shift you'd probably have to reverse my instructions but they should still work.

Good luck - hope this helps!
S Russ likes this.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page