Projector Lamp LIFE?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It seems that Epson is running though a lot of lamps for the 3020 projector.

So much that they are out of stock and back ordered and no ship date is provided.

The game with printers is they give you the printer to make the money selling you ink.

I would hate to have to buy a lamp every 90days or so.

So how many have had to get a replacement lamp from Epson??

Lets cover the other brands as well.

Please post when you lamp failed and how many hours you got. (You may need to note tha before you reset the lamp timer.)

So lets post make model and hours here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just type in site:avsforum.com epson lamp life avs into google and you will get alot of results like these

This was popular back in the day

And here is another

Lots more topics like this out there, seems like they are better than they were a few years ago but you can always get a bad bulb, thats just the way it goes.

Edit: also for anyone out there, when a company says 2000-4000 hours the lamp generally will not last anywhere near that.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Lamp life, regardless of projector manufacturer, is a crap shoot. Take the hours that the projector manufacturer advertises and cut it in half. Now, having said that, I've seen lamps last longer than they were supposed to but I've also seen some fail much earlier than expected.

Also, lamps dim as they age and you can expect that a lamp will have lost at least 75% - 85% of its rated output by the time it fails. Of course, you will probably find the quality of the image unacceptable long before that.

And don't try and save money by buying generic or so-called "compatible" lamps, they usually aren't and there is no shortage of reports in these forums who bought those aftermarket lamps and wasted their money.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

Lamp life, regardless of projector manufacturer, is a crap shoot.

A slight exception to this is that Epson (currently, at least for the past 3 years till now) as an unstated policy will replace the lamp as needed for free throughout the projector's manufacturer warranty on their home cinema projectors. So, it's a crap shoot, but you get a minimum of 2 years on them.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM

[unintentional double post, deleted my message content]
post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnEE View Post

A slight exception to this is that Epson (currently, at least for the past 3 years till now) as an unstated policy will replace the lamp as needed for free throughout the projector's manufacturer warranty on their home cinema projectors. So, it's a crap shoot, but you get a minimum of 2 years on them.

I had seen some reports to something like that.

Do they seem to have a higher that average failure of lamps?

Rich

post #7 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM

I don't think anyone has real statistics to be able to define "average failure"... You'd have to run many bulbs on each projector model and control the test so its the same environment they're all run in to do a perfect comparison. If you really wanted to compare you'd have to also run multiple projetors from each model to control for defects in some of the projectors that would cause more bulbs to burn. Some people are burning through many bulbs but others are not. You'd have to have a controlled test to get the actual lamp life. Personally I have an old Sanyo (PLV-1080HD) with >2500hrs still on first bulb(bulb still good, but it has already gotten too dim for me to use in any case except with my 2.8 gain screen and no ambient lighting), an epson 8100 that blew one bulb at 1400 and one at 2500, and an epson 3010 with 1700hrs still on first bulb (bulb still good, projector still bright enough for eco cinema mode and 140" or so screen for me).

Nearly all of the epsons have lens shift, whereas most of the DLPs do not. This would seem to contribute to more people shelf-mounting the epson projectors (as opposed to the projectors with no lens shift which would be difficult to mount with anything other than ceiling or table in most circumstances) and possibly not leaving enough clearance to allow for proper ventilation, thus leading to additional bulbs blown.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The problem with running tests is that the bulbs themselves are a HUGE variable. You can get identical 10 lamps from the same batch, control every other aspect of the test, same projector, same operating parameters, etc, and it's a sure bet that all of them will fail at different times.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

All very good points.

I am asking from you as a informed observer of this web site: Do you seem to see more posts of Epson lamp failure VS other brands?

Rich

post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

The problem with running tests is that the bulbs themselves are a HUGE variable. You can get identical 10 lamps from the same batch, control every other aspect of the test, same projector, same operating parameters, etc, and it's a sure bet that all of them will fail at different times.
Or you start a thread and try to get some data to get an average lamp life/failure.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376514/jvc-2011-2012-lamp-measurement-project

post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Or you start a thread and try to get some data to get an average lamp life/failure.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376514/jvc-2011-2012-lamp-measurement-project

I think I just did...

Lets cover the other brands as well.

Please post when you lamp failed and how many hours you got. (You may need to note that before you reset the lamp timer.)

So lets post make model and hours here:

post #12 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

OK This is a dead issue....thanks for the feed back I received.

Rich

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com