Please......PJ suggestions based on my room (photos included) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've read a ton of threads about PJ's....and there have been some fantastic ones, which have helped educate me on PJ's in general. I would, however, like a little help in narrowing down a PJ choice that would be ideal for my room. I'll keep the wording down as much as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-room is mainly for music, but would like a PJ system for movies.
-15ft long by 21ft wide
-PJ throw would be 11ft
-largest screen I can squeeze in would be 92".
-Overall, screen and casing (motorized or manual pull-down) has to be 55" or less in height (thus, the 92" being the largest size). Actually plenty of room between speakers.
-Ceiling slopes down where screen will be mounted.
-Seating is 9.5ft from screen.
-Walls are heavy cream color and ceiling is white. (prefer not to paint at this time...I like the light when listening to music during the day).
-Curtains on windows to help block out light during day....pitch black at night.
-most movie watching will be late afternoon/night time.
-no gaming.
-mostly 2D movies....perhaps 3D, but not a necessity.
-picture quality is very important to me. I love deep blacks...and vibrant colors. Current Display is a CRT RPTV and I still love it.
-I want a great picture to mate with my sound system, but don't want to go broke.

Some PJ's I've been interested in have been:
-Epson 5010, 3020, 8350
-Panasonic AR100
-Benq (w1070 wont work at that throw), scared of w7000 a little due to problems listed here.

Trying to keep price to under 2K, Ideally....1.5K since I also have to purchase screen and Oppo 103.

Couple of questions I have:
-With a 92" screen and some of these PJ's....how bright is too bright? Is it possible to be too bright?
-With the current room, will I benefit from spending more for better black levels?
-With an 11ft throw and 9ft viewing distance, would I benefit from an HC gray screen (0-8 - 1.0 gain)?

Now, some photos of the room for help in visualizing my descriptions:

Thank you for any input or help. And Coderguy, if you see this thread, thank you for your contributions and your awesome thread on different PJ's. Very helpful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhead View Post

Couple of questions I have:
-With a 92" screen and some of these PJ's....how bright is too bright? Is it possible to be too bright?
-With the current room, will I benefit from spending more for better black levels?
-With an 11ft throw and 9ft viewing distance, would I benefit from an HC gray screen (0-8 - 1.0 gain)?

Now, some photos of the room for help in visualizing my descriptions:

Is this the wall the screen will go on? If so we need some measurements.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK. Thanks.

The space between the speakers is 9 ft (108 inches).

The actual wall between the speakers is 76" (6ft; 4in)

If I hang the screen casing so it drops between the speakers at their baffles, it is 2 1/2 ft from the back wall.

I will have to fill in part of the dormer ceiling in order to hang a screen so the casing doesn't stick out of the sides of the center of the ceiling.

If I hang the screen so it drops at the speaker baffle, the ceiling height is 6' 3in. However, the screen will drop on top of the center channel speaker baffle (which is 20" off the floor). Thus, the screen height plus casing needs to be 55". If I move the screen closer to the viewer, it will be higher off the floor as the ceiling slopes, but the screen will then...although not be directly in front of the speakers, will affect stereo imaging as the screen will be in front of the speaker baffles.

If I move the screen up so that the ceiling height would be 7ft, the viewing distance would be 8ft; 7in. However, this will substantially hurt sound quality.

The back wall is higher than the front. I would hang the PJ off the wall using a mount instead of the ceiling....and the rear wall is 8ft high. The center of the room's ceiling is 9ft high.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The description of what you value in the image the most really leans toward a JVC over the other projectors.
If you are willing to up the budget all the way up to the Epson 5010, you can get a used JVC for around the same price and add a Square Trade after-market warranty. That's what I'd buy at that price, or get a Refurb/B-stock JVC.
Either the RS-45 or RS-46 in the used or refurb market.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Epson 5010 out of those choices listed.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you very much Coderguy. I appreciate and value your opinion.

Do you think I would see the benefits of those PJ's (black levels) even with the color of the walls and ceiling in the room? I would just hate to up the budget if I wouldn't realize the benefit due to the room colors.

Although, the side walls will be more than 5 feet from the edge of the screen....so that may help.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yes, you will benefit from a projector with higher native on/off like a JVC even with white walls. The only time you lose the benefit is with ambient light. Though the image will look richer and have higher ANSI contrast with black walls, but the JVC still looks better than other projectors in dark scenes EVEN with white walls. On/off contrast is only lost if you have ambient light, not from white walls. Though the way you perceive everything is a bit trickier here, but overall On/Off contrast is always a benefit until you get ambient light.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page