Projector for gaming, Sports ( hockey), movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

need some help here to find a projector for my needs I would like to get a projector that will not be used in a dedicated room, more of a familly and friend room, main usage would be playing games on XBOX 360, watching hockey, football games with friends, wife will surely watch tv on it and movies, light in the room will be controlled as much as possible but there is a window in the room will do all possible to control incoming light, screen size would be a 120'' as room alllows it... room size is 17 feet wide by 25 feet long. To be honnest specs of BenQ W1200 seemed pretty good for my application but unfortunatly it's obsolete.... Other possibility was Epson 8350 but not sure about this one in my type of room, also for sports and games. Any suggestions as of what might be fit for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm actually in the market for something similar myself. Mostly XBOX 360, but want to watch sports (mostly Hockey and Football) and movies as well. Getting something with low input lag numbers is important as well. My lead contender right now is the BenQ W1070. Sounds like it might work for you as well. Looks very well suited for a living room environment and good for gaming as well. Check our the W1070 thread on here and the review from projectorreviews.com

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w1070/index.php
post #3 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Is the BenQ1070 the best for gaming under 2k?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

Is the BenQ1070 the best for gaming under 2k?

I've done a bit of research and there are a few good gaming projectors out there under 2K.

Epson 8350 has low input lag, so does the Panasonic PT-AR100U. Both are well under 2K. These are both 1080p with decent blacks for the price range.

The Optoma GT750 boasts no input lag at all, but its only 720p.

If you don't care about the 1080p and are strictly looking for the lowest input lag possible, the Optoma may be your best fit. But if, like me, you want 1080p for movies etc, the the BenQ, Epson and Panasonic are all contenders.

Also you might consider that the new consoles are due out this year and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) they will be running 1080p games

Here's link to a decent Blog where they look at gaming projectors

http://www.projectorreviews.com/game-projector-blog/
post #5 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well it seems I got conviced with the W1070... only thing that is bugging me is the non frame interpolation on a wide screen like mine of 120'' but i guess it should not be that bad...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay08 View Post

Well it seems I got conviced with the W1070... only thing that is bugging me is the non frame interpolation on a wide screen like mine of 120'' but i guess it should not be that bad...

Yeah, Art Feierman does mention that in his review

"The W1070 projector lacks CFI - Creative Frame Interpolation - often referred to as smooth motion. Of course, very, very few projectors under $2000 offer this feature, and none in the W1070's price range. As I've said, too many times, I consider CFI to be a nice feature to have, but one I, and most, can live without. That said, if a projector has it, I do use it for sports, and on some occasions, other HDTV."
post #7 of 7 Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Maybe add the viewsonic pro8200 to the list to check out. I use it for gaming, and social football games, and tv viewing. When it goes on sale for a little under 700 dollars, might be cheapest 1080p that is also decent multipurpose PJ. It comes with 20 watts of internal speakers, and handles different types of lighting conditions. Includes 3 year warranty that the other ones don't. And long bulb life and cheap bulb replacement is also one of the best in this price range. Low RBE, and low gaming lag of about 15ms.
It has been out for a couple of years and it's proven to be pretty reliable. Sometimes it takes a year or so to find out if a PJ has problems in the forum rooms and this model seems to be holding up well. Best way to find out is check the forum rooms of the models you are interested in and see if a number of people have the same problem. And look at amazon/newegg user reviews.

I'm past the 1 year of ownership, and have 2 more years under warranty, other PJ's that only come with 1 year warranty would make me nervous after 1 year if something went wrong if I didn't get the extended warranty on those models.

If you want 3d the benq w 1070 could be good, it's new, so don't know how it will hold up and only comes with 1 year warranty. I'm thinking for me, they came out with 4 firmware versions so far, in only a few months, hard to know if another will be coming or not. And you have to send unit back to benq to have them put it on. If I was to buy the w1070, I would wait 6 months to see how the forum looks, and if bugs are out of it.

Maybe the other guys can give you a few other models to also check out and research it. If you do get something like the pro8200 , you are not out a lot of money, and you could in year or 2 get a 4k PJ, or laser/led model and use the pro8200 for den/bedroom/travel.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page