newbie question - projector, screen, mount, in what order to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm planning to set up a ceiling mounted projector in my media room (17ft x 13ft). I'm doing research on these items, and was going to get a projector first, mount it to the ceiling (at about 14ft to the front wall), and then get a screen, as I'm not sure what size of screen to get - the front row will be 10ft from screen. but as I read that the mounting of the projector will dependent on the size and position of the screen, I wonder if I have the order wrong? Do I need to decide on a screen first, set it up, before I try to mount a projector?

thanks,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you are unsure of the screen size you want, it's a good idea to hold off on the screen. Set up the projector temporarily on a low table, etc. and experiment with sizes.

How did you come up with mounting it 14' from screen? The throw distance depends on the projector and screen size.

Do you know what projector you want yet?
post #3 of 22 Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
As Jim mentioned different distances for different pj's depending on the screen size, what level of brightness you'll need from a particular pj, etc. You might want to play with some numbers here http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ to get an idea of what you'll be working with. It has most of the latest popular pj's.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

If you are unsure of the screen size you want, it's a good idea to hold off on the screen. Set up the projector temporarily on a low table, etc. and experiment with sizes.

How did you come up with mounting it 14' from screen? The throw distance depends on the projector and screen size.

Do you know what projector you want yet?

the room has an angled ceiling about 2ft all around, and it pre-wired with outlet in the ceiling for the projector. so the place close to the outlet and HDMI cable is about 13-14' from the front wall, unless I mount it on the angled part of the ceiling - is there any advantage of mounting the projector as far back (furtherest to the front wall) as possible? at 12-14ft, will I need to get the "short throw" projectors?

I'm not sure which projector to buy yet, thinking about BenQ W1070, or Optoma HD33, would love to hear any other suggestions.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

As Jim mentioned different distances for different pj's depending on the screen size, what level of brightness you'll need from a particular pj, etc. You might want to play with some numbers here http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ to get an idea of what you'll be working with. It has most of the latest popular pj's.

thanks for the link, I played with it a little, for 125" screen, the "no zoom" position of the projector starts at 13'8", for 110" screen, it starts at 12' - does that sound right? does that mean that to fill a 110" screen, the furtherest position to mount the projector is 12' from the screen? it also shows "lens offset" for 110" screen to be 19.8", and 22.5" for 125" screen, and the mounting pole to be much shorter for 125" screen than the 110" screen - does that mean the larger the screen, the higher the projector needs to be mounted?
post #6 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
With projectors that have fixed offsets the larger the screen the larger the offsets grow. The manuals usually explain this. The entry DLPs you are looking at don't provide a lot of placement flexibility.

Look at LCDs like the epson 8350 or panasonic AR100U if you feel you want more placement options.

Have Fun!
post #7 of 22 Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

With projectors that have fixed offsets the larger the screen the larger the offsets grow.

what does "offset" here mean? does it mean that the larger the screen, the further away (from the screen) I need to place the projector?
post #8 of 22 Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Offset is the relative placement height of the projector to the placement height of the screen. For example, one projector might need to be placed 7" higher than the top of the screen while another projector might need to be placed 14" higher than the top of the screen. (These values change based on the distance between the projector and the screen, and that is why offset is given as a ratio and not a set number of inches)

David
post #9 of 22 Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmannth View Post

With projectors that have fixed offsets the larger the screen the larger the offsets grow. The manuals usually explain this. The entry DLPs you are looking at don't provide a lot of placement flexibility.

Look at LCDs like the epson 8350 or panasonic AR100U if you feel you want more placement options.

Have Fun!

thanks for the info and suggestions. I looked up those two, unfortunately they are not 3D ready.

I'm looking for:

3D ready, 1080p in the $1000-$1500 price range.

Any other suggestions besides BenQ W1070 or Optoma HD33 ?
post #10 of 22 Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

For a 3D projector, the W1070 is the best bang for your buck provided the throw distance fits your room.

BenQ has their own throw calculator here:

http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/

David
post #11 of 22 Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another good possibility is the Epson 3020. We have a number of DLP fans who disregard LCD projectors, but this Epson has more brightness in 3D, may have better color accuracy, and can have no noticeable ghosting in 3D. The Epson 3020 is an excellent option for general purpose video including 3D. It astounds me how often this recommendation is overlooked by the more vocal DLP fans on this forum. Don't mean to slight the W1070, but to never mention the Epson is an oversight at best.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

Another good possibility is the Epson 3020. We have a number of DLP fans who disregard LCD projectors, but this Epson has more brightness in 3D, may have better color accuracy, and can have no noticeable ghosting in 3D. The Epson 3020 is an excellent option for general purpose video including 3D. It astounds me how often this recommendation is overlooked by the more vocal DLP fans on this forum. Don't mean to slight the W1070, but to never mention the Epson is an oversight at best.

Thanks for that info. I know pretty much nothing about projectors - sounds like two different kind of technologies DLP and LCD. I imagine there has been plenty of discussions of the pros and cons of each, could someone point me to a link or thread of the comparison of the two type, or Benq w1070 vs Epson 3020?
post #13 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

sounds like two different kind of technologies DLP and LCD. I imagine there has been plenty of discussions of the pros and cons of each, could someone point me to a link or thread of the comparison of the two type, or Benq w1070 vs Epson 3020?

Yes, two different technologies. For some people either is fine. However, many people have a strong preference for one or the other (hence many pointed discussion on this site). Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_comparison.htm

David
post #14 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader View Post

Yes, two different technologies. For some people either is fine. However, many people have a strong preference for one or the other (hence many pointed discussion on this site). Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_comparison.htm

Thanks for the link, that's a good read for some background. The article is 3+ years old however, I wonder how much has changed since then. The DLP BenQ W1070 selles under $1000, while the LCD Epson 3020 for over $1500 - that's over 50% difference. What extra would one get for spending that extra $500 to justify it?
post #15 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder how much has changed since then.

Each has made minor improvements, but the same significant differences between the technologies remain.

David
post #16 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

, while the LCD Epson 3020 for over $1500 - that's over 50% difference. What extra would one get for spending that extra $500 to justify it?

Personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for an LCD projector. Other people wouldn't pay $100 for a DLP projector. The images produced by these technologies are that different. Value depends on what you personally prefer.

David
post #17 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The images produced by these technologies are that different.

Really? For someone like myself who hasn't seen either of them, would you elaborate a little?

From what I read so far, some factors include the placement flexibility and environment, so here is what I have - a media room (no windows) with total light control, 16ft long with angled ceiling, pre-wired (acutally a conduit) for ceiling mount projector. The mount point in the ceiling is about 13ft from the screen/wall. I'll be using the projector to watch movies mostly (not TV, sports or video games).
post #18 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? For someone like myself who hasn't seen either of them, would you elaborate a little?

I strongly advise you look at both. For some people, they don't see a significant difference, but many people have a strong preference for one or the other. Perhaps, you are susceptible to seeing rainbows. In that case you definitely don't want a DLP. Perhaps you are sensitive to convergence issues. Then you definitely don't want an LCD. The odds are, if you look at both you will find yourself preferring one over the other.

It's like differences in plasma and LCD flat panels. If you want bright, punchy colors in a bright environment, get LCD/LED. If "clay face" bothers you, get plasma.

David
post #19 of 22 Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I strongly advise you look at both..

I'd like to do that, but I'm not sure there is anyway for me to do that more than looking at the spec. I went to Best Buy and they don't have any projector on display.

post #20 of 22 Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

There are places right next door in Houston (Modia, Frys, Magnolia, All Star Audio, Gallery furniture, etc..)

David
post #21 of 22 Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There are places right next door in Houston (Modia, Frys, Magnolia, All Star Audio, Gallery furniture, etc..)

Just noticed that you live in Houston! Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out. Which Gallery Furniture store has projector displays?

post #22 of 22 Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The north freeway location has several theater rooms set up. Not sure what they have in there, but I bet they have some projectors available for viewing. I don't think the Post Oak store has anything set up.

David
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector Pt Ar100u , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page