Projector with Best Blacks and 2D image quality for these dimensions... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for the best blacks and 2d image quality for a HT that has great light control and is the following dimensions. I'm going to be painting the walls and ceiling appropriately.

20x12x8

Based on setup of the room I'm going to be projecting against the 20 foot wall so throw distance will be about 11 feet ceiling mounted.

I'd like to get a minimum of a 100 inch diagonal screen out of it.

Also looking for a good place to buy the projector.

I'd like to stay around 2500 or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Epson 5020 fit the bill?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Liked: 15
Epson 5020 for that price point but the JVC has better blacks. Slightly better blacks...
post #4 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
At about $2500 or less the 5020 is probably the best all-around choice providing you can land a solid unit (luck of the draw unless you can find a dealer that will let you demo the actual unit you'll be purchasing).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

So I take it the Epson unit tends to have issues?

Might be reason enough to go with the AE8000...
post #6 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would never use a wall for projection if you are wanting the best picture. Even a cheap drop down screen will be better than a wall which will likely be uneven and have glitches you will see when projecting. Also the lack of black borders would spoil the authentic cinema effect for me.

The 5020 is similar to my 5010 which I use with a motorized grey screen from Ebay and this gives me exceptional blacks and a great picture.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going DIY painted screen with a 1.0 gain and borders etc...

I'm reading a lot of issues with the Epson models, Panasonic doesn't seem to have the same number of issues.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

So I take it the Epson unit tends to have issues?

Might be reason enough to go with the AE8000...

like the AE8000 doesn't have any
post #9 of 15 Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

What issues does it have? Kind of the point of this thread to find the best with the least issues.

BTW whats a good sub $500 screen that is at least 100" and 1.0 gain?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I got a brand new in box Grandview 120" fixed screen wall mount off Kijiji for $400. They run $800 in stores from what I could find. Check your local Craigslist or whatever it is you use down there.

Panasonic is a nice unit. I went with the Epson because the blacks are better and the Epson warranty is killer. 3 years and they ship you a replacement before you send yours back. Plus I don't like Panasonic for no good reason.

Honestly they are both amazing and you'll be happy with either. Reviews say the Epson has better in some regards but unless you review for a living you won't notice, you'll just start thinking you need better speakers. Just pick one.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 AM

I just sold my Epson 5020 and move'd DLP... I this case, could DLP projector be option ? some models are nice what comes to black levels.. (not jvc nice thou) but atleast there's no convergence etc problems..
post #12 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
B&H has the Mitsubishi HC7800 3D projector for $1300. I don't know much about this projector but I might work for you.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

B&H has the Mitsubishi HC7800 3D projector for $1300. I don't know much about this projector but I might work for you.
While it doesn't have the best blacks it is a lot of projector for the money...plus it would leave a lot more money for a high quality screen. It is hard to get a perfectly smooth surface with any paint system and to whatever extent there is texture on your screen surface there will be a corresponding loss of image detail. Any screen you buy should have a perfectly smooth surface with no texture. Most cheap screens have a textured screen surface which is inferior. The projector and screen are a system and the PQ is only as good as the weakest link. In many cases using most of your budget on the projector and shorting the screen will result in an inferior picture as compared with a cheaper projector mated to a good quality screen.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

What issues does it have? Kind of the point of this thread to find the best with the least issues.

A lot of people have been happy with the inexpensive Elite screens, and that might be a choice. While a Epson may have an issue, it's hard to knock their service if you do run into a problem. I've heard Panasonic service is pretty bad, but I have only had to deal with Sony, (decent service) and Epson, (just for a firmware upgrade).

It's hard to compare pj's reliability as we can't really know how many were sold of a certain unit, and how many may have had issues? The nature of these types of forums are that problems are spoken of more than of people with happy purchases. I ended up upgrading my Sony to an Epson based partially on their service, and the features/extras/warranty I was getting, but a Sony and Panasonic were in the running, but at the time people were reporting issues with the Panny. My Epson 6010 isn't perfect, about 1/2 pixel off in alignment, and a little blurry on the edges. Viewing at 13' away from a 126" screen, and 3D, I'm very happy with the money I spent. Making an informed decision by reading in these forums is great, but try to keep in mind that you may have an issue with any pj you decide on.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I would recommend the Vutec Eleganté fixed frame wall screen, with matte white surface if you are looking for a good cheap screen. I would stay away from gray screens.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page