Eiki LC-XC1 Projector - Any good ? ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys have you ever heard of the Eiki LC-XC1 Projector? I know it is an older projector and only goes to 720p but I was thinking about using it in our family room for normal watching TV and for our son to play his xbox 360 on. I found one very very cheap, basically free with a new un used bulb with it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul Kepner

http://www.home-theaters-plus.webs.com

Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc player
Pioneer VSX-1019-AH A/V Receiver

Sony ss-ts503 5 speaker system

Pinnacle Digital Sub 100 - 10" sub
65" Mitsubishi Diamond Series Projection TV
LG Bluray player
Pioneer Elite DVD Player
NEC PG9+ CRT Projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkepneriv View Post

Hey guys have you ever heard of the Eiki LC-XC1 Projector? I know it is an older projector and only goes to 720p but I was thinking about using it in our family room for normal watching TV and for our son to play his xbox 360 on. I found one very very cheap, basically free with a new un used bulb with it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul Kepner

Great projector as long as the blue LCD hasn't cooked. Don't use it for everyday viewing or the Xbox. for that type viewing its a Huge waste of a GREAT projector. Nice and Bright for daytime use. Use it for special event type viewing and outdoor movie stuff. This is the kind of projector that you want to use for sporting type event viewing Like baseball and football games. Make sure you keep the filters cleaned and let it go through its cool down cycle correctly or the lamp will explode,

Go for the PA70 or one of the newer LED's for the kids. No worries about lamps.

Good Luck

Bohanna
post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Why is it not a good idea to use with xbox or for normal watching tv?

Thanks,
Paul

LG Bluray player
Pioneer Elite DVD Player
NEC PG9+ CRT Projector

post #4 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bulbs are expensive and the lcds are probably nearing end of life.

Also this is not a 720p projector
post #5 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If you are getting it for free I would use the hell out of it. It is an old XGA resolution projector...it will accept 720p but it will down rez it to 576p. It has enough resolution to fully display a standard DVD...anything of higher resolution than that it has to down rez the source. There is nothing to save this projector for...if you are getting it for free. It was meant to be used. Although this was once a very expensive projector in today's market you could buy something brand new for 3-400 that would provide a superior picture.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I half agree with Leckian. Like I said earlier I would use it for special occasions where you need a bright large screen other wise you will be totally wasting it. These projectors were overbuilt. It would be like using an 18 wheel Semi tractor trailer rig to go to the corner store for a cup of coffee. If you use it say 20 times a year it will last you a lifetime and there are several component and HDMI to VGA converters that will adapt it to the newer connection methods. You can get a yellow and Black strongbox tote at Home depot for about 15.00 to store it in. I have a Sanyo 9000NA set up complete with an OTA EPvisions PHD-205LE tuner stored in a strongbox Tote that I use for outdoor shows. Its a HUGE crowd please whenever I set it up.

Hope this helps

Bohanna
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM

I own basically the same projector... an Eiki LC-XG100 made in 2002. Paid 2 bucks for it from a recycler and only has about 10 hours on the bulb. Was a pull out from a local university. I literally love the thing. Super nice bright and crisp display. Audio is full and rich unlike the cheap projectors made today. It also has component input and looks awesome in that mode. I've actually owned several various Eiki units over the years... bought for next to nothing... and have never been disappointed with any of them.

Mine has a problem where the on screen text and menus are corrupted when the projector is first fired up... but if you run it for 5 minutes or so, power it down and unplug it, then plug it back in... it will run perfectly for the duration. I have no idea why it does that but... hey... for 2 bucks I'll live with it smile.gif

My XG100 has a factory UV filter installed to protect the blue LCD. That XC1 should too if it dates around the same timeframe (2002-2003). So shouldn't have much worry about the LCD's "cooking" as long as you keep the filters clean (there's several) and you allow plenty of airflow around it.

I don't use it much anymore. Picked up a Toshiba TLP-X3000 from 2008 for 100 bucks at a pawn shop that's several times smaller and lighter than the Eiki and performs every bit as well. That's my "daily driver"... so to speak.

Eiki made some fine projectors that are built like tanks. They are awesome values when you can find them cheap. They ought to be good since they cost around $6000 to $8000 new.

I wouldn't recommend the LC-XC1 or any of these Eiki commercial units to be used unsupervised around kids. These things are beasts with tons of power behind them. They are definitely not toys and are not pretty if they decide to "blow up". Get the kids an Optima PT110 LED for around $150 used on Amazon and save the Eiki for family movie nights when you're in the room to keep an eye on it.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

The UV filter or polarizer will breakdown FIRST followed by the blue LCD screen. This is unavoidable. Cleaning the filters will help slow this progression but this is a high powered output projector that you may get 3 to 4 thousand hours out of at most before needing to replace both the polarizer and blue LCD screen . MAKE sure you choose the power saving mode in the menu so the lamp doesn't get a chance to bombard the LCD panels with no moving images because hat will drastically speed up the panel breakdown. The projector was made by sanyo. and you will get years out of it if you use it sparingly.

good luck

BTW they are two different machines. the Eiki LC-XC1 uses an NSH rear vented Lamp with a larger arc chamber and the xg100 uses a UHP lamp. The XC1 was for larger venues and burns through lamps faster than the xg100. Both are a serious overkill for a child to play with. They don't blow up. The lamps will explode or Pop if they are unplugged and not allowed to power down and restrike correctly so letting a child run them is kind of Iffy at best

Bohanna
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM

Bohanna... do you have a link or product info for the Home Depot Strongarm tote or bag you're using?

I went to HD earlier and the closest bag I found that would seem to work was an 18" Husky tool bag for $19. Didn't see any branded as Strongarm. Got it home and it's big enough for the XG100... but I can't get the projector to fit in the opening.

Any ideas?... and thanks for the great info!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/202976606/strong-box-27-gallon-plastic-black-and-yellow-storage-tote-reviews/reviews.htm

I would buy two of these. Use one for the projector and an OTA tuner or DVD player sundry ect and use the other for a sound system extension cords ect.

Basically you have the entire system except the screen in two stack-able durable totes. that you can leave in the storage until you need them.

BTW a company called camp Chef makes a nice 120 inch screen that sets up easily and goes in a bag. youtube it . The make a couple of models but the 120 inch seems to be the best all around.

Good Luck

Bohanna
post #11 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

also pick up something like this and throw it in the strongbox along with the projector.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DampRid-Easy-Fill-System-10-5-oz-Any-Room-Moisture-Absorber-FG91/100678521?keyword=Moisture+absorbing+silica

Bohanna
post #12 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments guy. I actually passed on the Eiki because the guy that had it told me the bulb went out before I could go see it. I looked around for good second option and I went with a BenQ. I picked up a new BenQ Ms513 for $200 and so far I am pretty happy with it. It has HDMI on it, puts out 2700 lumens and puts out a very nice image. I watched Serenity on DVD that was up converted with my Pioneer Elite DVD player and it looked very nice and was the full 16:9 format. I also watched part of i-robot on blu-ray with my LG blu-ray player and you could tell a noticeable picture improvement with the blu-ray. So far over all I am very happy with it. From what I found it looks like the replacement bulbs are around $100 so that is nice and in bright mode the bulb is rated for 4500hrs and in eco mode it is rated for 6000hrs. I would be happy to post a few pictures of how it looks if anyone is interested.

Thanks again!
Paul Kepner

LG Bluray player
Pioneer Elite DVD Player
NEC PG9+ CRT Projector

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP