Projector Question w/Floor Plan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I have been lurking for a few years and finally decided to make an account. I would like to get some feedback on a decision that has been killing me. I am moving into a new place in the next couple of weeks and have had me eye on an Epson 5020 or Epson 3020. I have been going back and forth between a projector and a plasma for a long time, and need some help deciding.

I have attached the room it would be situated in. The red circle is the projector placement. As you can see, there will be some ambient light, but all windows will have blinds on them. The projector would need to be wall mounted and would have a throw distance of about 18 feet. Seating distance would be about 14 feet. I am just wondering if it is practical to get a projector or not, given my situation or should I just buy an Panasonic ST60?

Thanks much for your help.

Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A lot of people put projectors in rooms like that. Its not the best situation for a projector because of the open environment. If I was a bachelor and owned the place and could do anything I wanted to the decor as in dark ceiling, walls and furniture I would put a projector in for sure. But if you have a family to deal with a projector can't replace a TV in an open space like that. If you want the projector for movie or game night get a pull down screen over the TV for just those special occasions. A 5020 would be over kill for black levels unless you can get it very dark including the decor, but you might need the lens shift. Checkout the projector calculators and different projectors for your throw distance and screen size. Good Luck

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 52
Another option for a projector in that room is a specialty screen like Screen Innovations Black Diamond. These screens are made for these type of situations but are considerably more expensive than regular screens and would cost more than the projectors you are considering. But still less expensive than 100" flat panel.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

The Black Diamond is out of my price range for a first-time projector owner. I am thinking about going with the 100" Carada Brilliant White screen. My viewing habits are: 70% HDTV (sports and shows), 30% Movies. I would almost always watch movies at night. I don't mind the image being a bit washed out during the day and would most likely have a few blinds closed.

I am a bachelor but I don't have any ability to change the colour of the walls or ceiling. The walls are a darkish beige, while I am not sure of the ceiling colour. I have been told the curtains are pretty much blackout.The floors are a hard-wood. I have not bought any couches yet, so don't have colours available for that.

I have added the Benq W7000 to my short-list., as it seems to be bright, while still offering good blacks for night-time viewing.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

I have been wanting a projector for a long-time, so I think I am just going to take the plunge and go from there.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM

A wouldn't go a white screen for your environment there is just too much degradation with ambient light. There are a lot of screen options and the Black Diamond is probably the most expensive. Are you looking for a pull down or fixed screen? What are you willing to spend on a screen and we can make some suggestions?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

A wouldn't go a white screen for your environment there is just too much degradation with ambient light. There are a lot of screen options and the Black Diamond is probably the most expensive. Are you looking for a pull down or fixed screen? What are you willing to spend on a screen and we can make some suggestions?

Please do make suggestions. Are you thinking a high-contrast grey screen? I would like to spend less than a $1000, preferably around $600. I am thinking the screen would be about 100" but I will test out the projector before buying a screen to see how big to go. I think I will also go with a fixed frame screen. Electric is out of the question, as I have no means to add an outlet up there. I could be talked into a manual pull-down.

Thanks.

Edit: Added type of screen.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 19
If you're looking for a retroreflective like the BD, you can get a 106" pulldown da-lite High Power (or High Power High contrast) for $233 shipped:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/117871-REG/Da_Lite_78672_78672_Model_B_Manual.html
A fixed screen version is around $650 shipped.

If you want the High Power High Contrast, I think its the same cost (you'd have to chat with dalite's support first) but B&H would have to notate that when they order the screen (the dalite chat would say how to notate it.)

Now, what the retroreflective screen won't work on is if you plan to view tv from way off-angle (like if you were in the dining/kitchen area on your map). It also wouldn't work that well if plan people to view from the couches on the side like on the diagram you pasted.

I don't know if you would "need" all that extra gain but it would depend on whether you want to use with the blinds only closed or completely blacked out and what other ambient lighting you might have on sometimes. I use the 106" with dalite's previous HP (2.8) material and I leave it pulled down 100% of the time (I got pull-down because it was ~1/3 the cost -- the Model B pulldown maxes out at 106" as the largest though).

Unless you had direct sunlight coming in, even with lighting up fairly high in the room you'd still get a decent picture over from viewing area situated in line near the projector. (Especially seeing as how you can change the projector mode to Cinema when it's dark and to living room or other bright mode if you have a lot of ambient light.)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Prices for 100", a good size for dealing with ambient light. Remember prices are MSRP you may find the, for less. For ~$600 MSRP the Elite Screen EZ Frame with Cinegray material. If you up the budget a little more the Da-lite Da-Snap screen with High Contrast Cinema Vision Material $1172 MSRP without velvet on the frame with the Velvet add $167. I'd recommend the velvet. You can also get the High power with this frame but is $1233 without velvet. If you are handy and can build a wood frame around the screen the Da-lite Perm wall is a little less expensive for the High Contrast Cinema Vision material at $748, high power $818. This can make a very nice look if done well.

The high power is a good choice if you are sitting in front of the screen off to the side not as good. It will be bright with a high power and you could go a little larger. With your open area I wouldn't normally recommend it but if you are only going to watch in front of the screen it could work well.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the help guys. Screen viewing angle will be important to me, as I will be doing a lot of entertaining during sporting events. I think the CineGrey would work for me. I think I have decided to buy a Benq W7000 from Costco, test it out, and if it isn't for me return within the 90 days. If Costco sold the Epson I would probably buy that instead. I am from New Brunswick, Canada, and have no access to retailers that show projectors.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page