720p HD Projector for Home TV/Movie : Best quality for lowest price - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help picking a projector and would really appreciate your help.

Here are my requirements:

Resolution: At least 720p (1080p would be great, but only if price point if good)
Lumens: At least 2000, but preferably 2500 or greater
Lens: Short throw is not needed as we will setup in rear
3D: Would really love to have it, but is not a dealbreaker if it's absent
Still researching if 3 LCD is better for quality or to go with DLP for 3D; would appreciate your input.

Price: Optimally in the $400 range, but would be willing to pay up to $700 if the feature set is worth it.

Here are some models I am considering and the best price I was able to find:

1. Acer H5360 (720p, 2500 lumens, 3D, good review at projectorecentral, DLP (so some rainbow effect possible)) for $400 with coupon that expires 3/26):

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Pro...alParent=1

2. Epson EX-7210 (720p, 2800 lumens, 3 LCD (so no rainbow effect) but also NO 3D, refurb from Epson) for $429:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Stor...1H428120-N

3. Viewsonic PJD5533W (720p, 2800 lumens, 3D, DLP) for $499 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-P...s=PJD5523W

Others I had looked at are:

InFocus IN116
Optoma HD66
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 710HD

Sure would love 1080p, but am concerned that means accepting much lower light output (lumens) at these price points...

I would really appreciate any help in picking a winner from these choices or any other suggestions you may have. As for getting the best deal, I had considered seeing if Staples or Newegg Business carries the model I end up deciding on and then trying to use the $50 off Newegg Business code or a Staples coupon (like $30 off). Any other ideas are certainly welcomed. I am open to Price Match / Coupon possibilities as well.

Thank you for your help! I posted several front page deals in prior years but have not been able to contribute quite as much lately.

I currently have an NEC VT37 with 1500 lumens and a poor resolution of 800x600. See specs here:

http://www.nec-pj.com/products/vt/index37.html

We use it mainly for streaming content off Netflix/Hulu/Plex from our Roku. Mostly TV, some movies.

It is used mostly at night, but some during the day as well with ambient light from multiple windows (even with blinds closed).

I am in a hurry to buy it and would like to have it in my hands within 10 days if possible. My sister is getting married, and rather than pay $150 to rent a projector, I'd like to put that money towards upgrading my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM

From the little research I have done ..

Lens: Short throw is not needed as we will setup in rear

How far back will it actually be? how big of a screen size are you needing to get out of it? Ceiling/table mounted?

Still researching if 3 LCD is better for quality or to go with DLP for 3D; would appreciate your input.

From what I have read, DLP will produce the best image compared to a equal 3LCD ... now if you see RBE, that is a different story, as DLP can produce this for some people...there are pros and cons to both 3LCD and DLP though, so it is a subject in and of itself!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I plan to have it sitting on a table/counter in the back.

The room I have it in right now will have the projector about 10-12 feet from the wall where I will be projecting (no screen, just a white wall). So I'd like to have a big image, but no specific size. I think with our current setup, it's probably like 8-10 feet diagonal if I were to guess. Unfortunately, I'm travelling right now so can't get exact numbers. More importantly, we'll be moving soon anyway, so the setup will likely change. We usually move every year or two.

So, it sounds like DLP might get a better image and 3D, but there is a possibility of rainbow effect. With 3 LCD, no rainbow effect, but image quality may not be as good as DLP.

Back to the core, any thoughts on specific brands/models? What do you think about the choices/prices in my original post?

I'm leaning towards the Acer, but could easily be swayed towards another choice.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 AM

Liked: 13
The H5360 for 400 is an great deal on a good projector. I just hooked mine up again after my 1080p died and am still impressed by the color and clarity (even at 720p)

I've also used it for wedding receptions and outdoor movie nights and even a few kids movie nights on walls. The H5360 has just basic color controls, but it also has a nice feature for tweaking the image for white/grey/yellow walls - works great. the bright lamp has no trouble with ambient light.

Be aware, the 3D requires a PC or expensive adapter. It won't work with PS3 or bluray player.

If you were in Ohio I'd sell you mine with 94 hours. I just watched Hobbit last night and the RBE is torture for me, but the picture looks so good I just suffer through. Nobody else seems to notice RBE.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Another vote for the H5360. It's seen almost daily use for a year now and is still going strong. I only briefly tested 3D on it, but the effect was very impressive. There have been enough complaints about the DLP chip going out that it is probably worth paying $50 for a 3 year SquareTrade warranty (I did).
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I was pretty much just about to bite and order the Acer H5360 for $400 plus tax from Newegg Business, but then I read a lot of reviews from people saying their unit developed white spots that began multiplying. Possibly due to dust entering the optical elements or getting on the color wheel (unclear). It seems to be a prevalent issue occurring within the first 2 years of ownership, enough that I am now concerned about it.

As a result, I think I'm probably going to buy the Epson EX7210. It sells for around $600 new as far as I can see, and Epson is selling a refurb with new lamp for $429 (no tax). It comes with 1 year warranty.

It's a 3LCD instead of DLP. No 3D either, which makes little difference to me.

Anyone feel that the issues with the H5360 are less common than I think or have any experience with the EX7210?

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this purchase tonight or tomorrow. Will really appreciate any last second advice.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up buying the Epson EX7210 3LCD 2800 lumens, 720p projector. Epson typically has great quality in projectors and though I see the advantages of DLP, I did not want to deal with potential issues with a DMD chip since your experience does not seem to be that unusual.

The Epson is typically available new for around $600. I was able to get a refurb from Epson for $429 (no tax, free shipping), and I will get 5% cashback from a certain site, putting the final price at $407.

I confirmed with Epson that the projector will come with a brand new lamp and a 1 year warranty on the projector. If the projector fails for any reason during the warranty period, they'll even express mail a replacement (though I don't think my home TV/theater application is critical enough to warrant this).