The Official EPSON EH-TW550/750HD 3LCD 3D HOME CINEMA PROJECTOR Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 05-09-2013, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ministerofFail: it says 1920x1080 because the projector supports fullHD content, but of course it scales the image to 720p (native resolution).

the tw5900 is fullHD and has better contrast. 2000 lumens are enough for watching movies, but it's better if you place it in a dark room.
the 3000 lumens of tw550 are better for games and 3d of course.

so finally, it depends by the use you'll make of your projector wink.gif

ps. since i'm interested in this projector, especially for 3d, can you guys tell me how is 3d image in terms of contrast, brightness and of course ghosting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the reply, now I get it.

For me, it was little misleading when projector spec says the max resolution is 1280x720, and simply, "Resolution" in the menu still said 1920x1080. It's because I'm quite new with these devices.

But I just bought an EH-TW5900, and it will be used for gaming and movies. Time for 3D testing will come later , since I didnt buy the glasses yet.

But this seems great(enough) for gaming. Im happy.

And I already asked this in "Epson 3010" forum. I noticed how the projector goes instantly off when I push the power button from remote control?
Is there same kind of lack of cooldown in TW550?
post #33 of 44 Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM

I have bought this projector and have now given it a good run, I can confirm ssg 4100gb work perfectly on as do ssg 3100gb. I prefer the ssg 3100gb as the image looks crisper IMO and it shields light entering the sides and the feel more secure with its wrap around ergonomics, ive Just finished watching Avatar on it and I'm really impressed with the 3d capabilities this budget projector has. The colors are bold, contrast is very good,3d has a good depth to it and movement doesn't make me feel nauseous like on some tvs. There is slight cross talk but again its nothing to be concerned with. The blacks aren't as black as the high end projector and there is some light leak, you only really notice on very dark scenes but overall picture is impressive. This is my first dabble with projectors and I'm hooked so no doubt I will be upgrading to a more expensive epson when this one gets tired.
post #34 of 44 Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignorMiyagi View Post

ps. since i'm interested in this projector, especially for 3d, can you guys tell me how is 3d image in terms of contrast, brightness and of course ghosting...

I've only watched one movie in 3D so far ("Prometheus"), but found the quality good (the 3D, not the movie!). The image is less bright than when in non-3D, of course, but the extra lumens probably compensates for that. In short, I didn't find brightness, contrast or ghosting a problem at all in movie mode. Haven't tried 3D for gaming yet
post #35 of 44 Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 AM

Could anyone post up pictures/videos of this projector?

Information/screenshots of it in action are pretty hard to come by.

Thanks in advance. smile.gif
post #36 of 44 Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 AM

No one? The reason I asking is because I cannot go for an instore demo as there are none around these parts so I will have to buy it on information I gather over the net.

Ill also have to purchase it online and have it shipped internationally.

Plus there are no reviews of this unit anywhere. Help will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
post #37 of 44 Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Did you check out the links in the first two posts in this thread?
post #38 of 44 Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugger2 View Post

Did you check out the links in the first two posts in this thread?

Yes I did but I consider personal experiences from real life users to be a lot better. Plus home made videos from other users help my purchases.

I was dead set on this set till i read this review. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/projectors/1299292/epson-eh-tw550

And i have decided to go with the TW480 (710HD), i will get a full HD 3d projector when the funds permit me.
post #39 of 44 Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Ordered from Epson waiting for delivery.
post #40 of 44 Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 AM

Got it on Tuesday.This is my first projector, Easy to set up. I am impressed with brightness and color even in normal living room lighting.Watched a 3D movie with kids the images are bright.
post #41 of 44 Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 AM

I am a bit confused between the TW480 and the TW550. Can some one post review on 3D performance of 550.
The 550 is 100 USD expensive than the 480. expertreviews.co.uk & tech2 suggest very poor 3D performance and not worth it over 480. Is it so ?

The room i would be installing the projector is 18 X 11 ft and I would be projecting around 110" . Would the projector would be too bright for the room (Although the room has big windows - but all of them have blinds and curtains) ? I don't want a headache.
post #42 of 44 Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan Batra View Post

Can some one post review on 3D performance of 550.
The 550 is 100 USD expensive than the 480. expertreviews.co.uk & tech2 suggest very poor 3D performance and not worth it over 480. Is it so ?

The 3D performance of the TW550 is fine. As you've provided no links, it's hard to assess the reviews.

Whether the TW550 is worth $100 more than the TW480 really depends on how you want to use the projector, so it's not possible to give a general answer. For me, the features and performance of the TW550 made for a more attractive proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan Batra View Post

The room i would be installing the projector is 18 X 11 ft and I would be projecting around 110" . Would the projector would be too bright for the room (Although the room has big windows - but all of them have blinds and curtains) ? I don't want a headache.

The brightness isn't going to give you a headache, if that's your concern. In any case, you'd probably be running in the "eco" mode, which extends the bulb life, makes the unit run more quietly by reducing fan speed, and saves energy by running the lamp less brightly.

The most important thing to consider is projector placement in the room, and to make sure the throw distances etc. match the intended screen size and location. (I spent a lot of time reading the specs and measuring up the room with a tape measure to satisfy myself the projector would suit the room before ordering it.) My projector is between 9 and 10' back from a 100" screen, on a coffee table that is about level with the bottom of the of the screen, slightly to the left of center. The keystone correction works well, and the picture is clear and bright, with good color and contrasts for dvd and bluray movies, and for ps3 gaming. (No "rainbow-effect" obviously, as it is an LCD rather than a DLP projector, which was one of the main features I was looking for in a new projector.)

One limitation is the sound connection options, as discussed earlier in this thread. For the ps3, I bought the ps3 av multi analog output adaptor cable, so I can connect the hdmi output from the ps3 into for the projector and analog stereo output to my audio amplifier. This works well for the ps3, but if your dvd or bluray player doesn't have separate audio outputs that you can send to your audio amplifier, you will be disappointed with the sound quality coming through the in-built speaker on the TW550. Unfortunately, there are no audio output connectors on the projector to connect to an external sound system. Rather poor design, imho, but the limitation can be satisfactorily worked around in some situations, depending on your equipment.
Karan Batra likes this.
post #43 of 44 Old 11-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Can I ask what you are playing your 3D content from? Playstation, Blu Ray Player, PC..?

I still cant get any 3D from my PC
post #44 of 44 Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 PM

After much Anxiety I managed to get the 3D to work on my EH-TW550

In the end the trick was to change the resolution to 1280x720
Then you need to set the projectors 3D mode to Side by Side, the auto Detect does not work

Also I am not able to get it to do 3D in any other format other than Side by Side. So I need to rip all my Blu-Ray ISO files into SBS format

In the end I decided to go with the Omega 3D by buying another EH-TW550 and the lenses
If you want to know what I am talking about follow the link below (Links to another thread on this forum)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407101/official-omega-3d-passive-projection-system-thread
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Eh Tw550 3d Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - Tw550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page