Drop in Lumens after projector hasn't been used for a while? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Benq mp510 that i think is great for what I use it for, mainly movie nights on cold winter nights! I haven't used it for around a year but it has been kept in its original packaging in a spare room in my house. I connected back up last week and when starting up it flickers a bit and the picture is left very dull. I would estimate about half its usual lumens output.

I have tried numerous sources using the different input selections on the unit but it makes no difference. I have checked all leads and power etc. The bulb is less than half way through its life. I've also gone through all the menu options but it seems a hardware problem rather than software. Each time its turned on I get a flicker of its full power and then it just stays in this dull light for however long I use it for.

Does anyone know if there's any way I can fix this or what the problem could be? Maybe a loose bulb connection which could be fixed by removing and installing the bulb?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Anyone at all? All the research I've done seems to indicate the bulb has had it. While its only done 1000 hrs i would have thought it unlikely but surely I wouldn't have a few secs of full brightness everytime its turned on if that was the case. I know if I buy a new bulb the same will happen and I'll have poured money down the drain!

Please help!!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Replace the lamp. That's normal. Projectors fire the lamp at a HIGH voltage and then settle down to a lower running voltage. And lamps dim as they age. By the time the lamp reaches EOL, it have lost at least 75% - 85% of it's rated output.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are only two options I can think of, either the lamp or the ballast. The momentary brightness and flickering might be due to the high voltage supplied to the lamp to strike the arc, then it drops to the normal operating level.
After BB replaced the lamp in my Samsung under the "Buyer Protection Plan" the new lamp lasted 1000 hrs then flickered and died totally. Turns out they used a counterfeit lamp to save money. I replaced it with an OEM lamp and all is well.
I guess the main problem is if you want to put money into a low resolution, 4:3 projector.
td
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page