Epson 8350- Bulb not turning on- and best place to buy a replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Epson 8350 that I've been using as my regular watcher for a little under 2 years. I haven't noticed any dimming or issues with the projector recently, though I haven't checked the lamp hours.

So tonight my brother and I were ready to fire it up and watch some Game of Thrones, and alas, the projector powered up, fan turned on, but no light was emitted from thens. It wasn't a matter of the connection, as I checked that. I also reset the power and tried resetting it as well. None of the LED indicators lit up, indicating an issue with the lamp or the internal electronics. I just didn't have any light.

I opened the projector up and instpected the lamp, and from what I can see it looks OK.

So, should I assume that it's a matter of a bad bulb, or what else should I do to have it addressed? Without my projector, I have no backup viewing source (other than my computer or tablet).

If it comes to needing a new lamp, where's the best place to buy one? I've seen a few on Amazon for as low as $54, but they get pretty terrible reviews. There is one for $150, but who knows on that, and the OEM one of Epson's website is $300....

Thanks!
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Have you checked to make sure you didn't accidently hit the blank button on the remote? My brother was at my place once when I was out, watching my projector when he called me in a panic thinking that my bulb had blown. Turns out he just hit the blank button on the remote by mistake. Worth a try.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #3 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I tried that, and while I had it on for longer, the lamp LED started flashing RED. So, it seems I indeed have a bad bulb. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

So, where's the best place to buy a new lamp?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Liked: 20
if you're still within the 24months warranty, call epson and they send you a new bulb -- Epson is unofficially warranting the bulbs for the projector's warranty terms on these projectors. If you're just slightly out of the 24month warranty since purchase, you might still call epson and see if they make a one-time exception (they really don't have to though, keep this in mind...),
Although, you say you don't have any idea how many hours you had on it.....

Otherwise... B&H was the cheapest when I looked a few months ago for a replacement bulb. But Epson sent me one and I ended up not purchasing.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Called Epson, explained the situation, went through a few steps, and they're sending me a new bulb!

Yay customer service...

Now, did anyone else have to send the old bulb back? Seems kinda odd, but I guess it's to prevent people from claiming a warranty repair and getting a free bulb when there really isn't an issue...
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 PM

I have this same situation today :rolleyes. Went to watch something with the kids and nothing from the projector and a red flashing light. I've had the 8350 for just over a year. It is not our main TV so I am sure it is well under 1000 hours of bulb time (had never checked the bulb life previously)

Of course this happens on July 4th and I can't get anyone on the support line. The email support gave me the standard line of a 90 day bulb warranty. I am going to call tomorrow. Based on a variety of posts here, I hope they will ship me a new one.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 PM

I also have an Epson 8350 just under two years old with not quite 2000 hours on the bulb.  The picture over the last few days started to diminish and today the projector would not illuminate at all and the red flashing light next to the lamp came on.  I was about to just go on line and purchase a new lamp, however before I did this I contacted tech support at Epson, provided them with the model and serial number and explained that the unit was still in the warrantee period and the lamp was not quite at half the expected lamp life.  I asked if they would consider sending out a replacement lamp.  I waited on hold for a few minutes and they agreed to send a one time free replacement.  I expressed how satisfied I had been not only with the Epson projector but how this was handled and that I assured them I would make sure others knew how satisfied I was with their product and the excellent customer service they provided.  So before just purchasing another lamp, if you are still within the two year warrantee period even though it does not cover the lamp it is a good idea to give them a call.  This saved me $250 until at some point I will need to replace the new lamp. Good luck and Thank you Epson.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page