BenQ W1500 full hd 3D ready DLP projector WHDMI - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 239 Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also I'm still on 1.02. When I did a swap with them last month it came with 1.02. Is it possible for us to upgrade the firmware ourselves? I'm assuming that will void the warranty, but if it isn't too difficult I'd like to try the newer firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 239 Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 AM

Ok, here's a link to what I was seeing. This isn't the exact scene I originally saw but the issue didn't show up properly in the video. Anyhow, this clip is paused at 3:06. It's hard to see but you can see a flicker in and out in the sky background. It doesn't cover the entire frame. It's also not as noticeable in the video, its much more noticeable to the eye.
post #183 of 239 Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Liked: 16
Hi All,

I just joined the club of Benq w1500 enthusiasts.smile.gif. Got to order 2 toys yesterday...a w1500 and a sony kdl-65w850a 65 inch tv. feels like xmas in april. cant wait to get it. ordered the w1500 from visual apex and got myself 4 benq 3d glasses. Also ordered an electric Elite screens 125 inch that i got it from ebay...this is all coming from my old trusty sanyo PLV60HT....had that baby for over 10 years but the lamp died and i didnt want to invest any more ...its gonna be a busy week setting things up but that part of the fun for me i guess....thank you all for all the good info...will keep updating as things come in
post #184 of 239 Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Anybody recommends a good pair of 3d glasses for kids that i can use on this projector....been looking around and cant find any...any info is appreciated.

thanks
post #185 of 239 Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by babychewie View Post

Also I'm still on 1.02. When I did a swap with them last month it came with 1.02. Is it possible for us to upgrade the firmware ourselves? I'm assuming that will void the warranty, but if it isn't too difficult I'd like to try the newer firmware.

Firmware 1.03 just became available a couple weeks, so that would be why your replacement was still 1.02. I haven't messed with the new firmware too much yet, but I'll definitely do that today, and see if I can tell what exactly the weird-ness I'm seeing in 3D is. As for upgrading the firmware yourself, supposedly it's possible..

Here's a link someone referenced earlier. It has step by step instructions for the W1080ST, so I don't know if the W1500 is different. I did NOT do this, so I can't comment on it. My projector was sent to BenQ for the upgrade.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522056/benq-w1080st-firmware-questions-thanks

Quote:

Ok, here's a link to what I was seeing. This isn't the exact scene I originally saw but the issue didn't show up properly in the video. Anyhow, this clip is paused at 3:06. It's hard to see but you can see a flicker in and out in the sky background. It doesn't cover the entire frame. It's also not as noticeable in the video, its much more noticeable to the eye.

Awesome, thanks! I'll pull up that scene and see if I see anything.
post #186 of 239 Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanaca View Post

Anybody recommends a good pair of 3d glasses for kids that i can use on this projector....been looking around and cant find any...any info is appreciated.

thanks

For kid-friendly W1500 3D glasses, just do a search for 3D glasses for the W1070 (and/or W1080ST). Those projectors use the exact same glasses and there's a ton of info out there on them. They're significantly more popular than the W1500.
post #187 of 239 Old 04-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Okay! Wow, I totally see it. Horizontal black bar flickering. Good eye. I'm seeing it in the dark blue sky, whenever there is dark stuff to both sides (mountains, ice-hoist thing, kid..), and it's only happening in the center 20% or so. (Vertically.. so like from 40% up to 60% up from the bottom of the image.) It also looks extremely difficult to capture on camera.. it's pretty faint.

And no settings I messed with changed it.. Whether FI was turned on or off, sharpness, clarity control, etc settings were changed, it was always there. Also, I checked out the 3D version, and it's *not* there in 3D mode. But if I force the 3D movie to play in 2D mode, the flickering *is* there. It's definitely something weird the W1500 is doing.. perhaps it's getting confused with that color scheme or something with that arrangement of darkness levels? Who knows. Hopefully I don't start noticing this a lot in other movies, haha.
post #188 of 239 Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Yeah that's pretty much the general area that I noticed it. I dunno what is going on. I recorded that scene about 10 times, at different distances and angles trying to get it to show right. It's way more noticeable when you are actually watching it than trying to record it. I did end up watching all of Frozen and I only noticed once more towards the end. It seems like anything I watch now, when it gets really bright blue/purple I start looking for the flicker. lol

Also, I did notice it American Hustle however I only saw it when I paused the movie at a certain point.
post #189 of 239 Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Hey Rakkid What about FRAME INTERPOLATION in 3d Mode with the new firmware 1.03? Do you guys now any other similar projector around w1500 prices with frame interpolation??

post #190 of 239 Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 AM

Frame Interpolation in 3D mode can still get messed up in v1.03. I just sent off an email / videos to BenQ, so hopefully that'll lead somewhere with fixing this (the person I've been dealing with has been very responsive). The v1.03 firmware was to fix this exact issue, so they're at least trying to work on it. Hopefully they'll get it right with v1.04..? : D At least in v1.03, it seems to be easier to "fix" the mess up, though. All you need to do is turn off FI, and enter/exit/enter 3D mode (just one round of exiting/entering). In v1.02, I had to exit/enter twice AND change the menu setting.

However, I was able to reproduce and show in video, that Low, Middle, High FI settings in 3D mode don't always render Low, Middle, High FI.. And this isn't new to 1.03. This was definitely happening in v 1.02, also. It almost looks like in the videos I made, one time Low setting was actually displaying "Middle" FI, and Middle and High settings were both displaying "Low" setting, and in the other video, "Low" setting was displaying Low, and Middle and High were both displaying "High". I went with that second one as "they were all displaying correctly..". It looks close enough.. I can't tell.. High might actually be displaying smoother than Middle.

Here are those two videos..

Here's where they're close enough to right. This Low -> Middle -> High progression looks good. And you can take this as a decent example of what the FI looks like. It's pretty good, if you ask me. This scene is mostly non-action to some fast panning. Nothing crazy, but probably enough action to tests how FI handles the majority of content. It looks really good to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xF8Lj0Xlv9TzM0RlpFOFBUeFU/edit?usp=sharing

Here's where they're obviously not right.. Middle and High are both definitely "Low". And is Low "Low" also? Or is it a little smoother..? Either way, this one is obviously wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xF8Lj0Xlv9QVJsZ09yVGo3aEk/edit?usp=sharing

And here's another video showing Low -> Middle -> High where progression looks good.. This example is for more "what the FI looks like, when it's working right." This sequence has a lot more fast-action-with-detail. (Not to be confused with extremely fast action, which tends to just be blurry..). This is a much more extreme case for FI, but it still looks pretty good at full speed. When you slow the video down (I show it at the end), you can see there's some weird artifacts in the images, but nothing that's obvious at full speed. It's kind of too fast action to really notice it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xF8Lj0Xlv9bGJhNUN1QS1lZWM/edit?usp=sharing

I don't have an example of the extremely fast action / blurry action. That tends to show blocky artifacts. The most obvious, but it's not displayed for very long. I don't really mind it. Or rather, the rest is such a big improvement, I let the blockiness in the blur slide.. It's worth it.

But anyway, when FI works, it looks good. The only other FI experience I have is with a couple older TVs, though, and they both showed very obvious shimmering / stupid artifacts around moving objects. But it was a couple years ago, so I imagine it's gotten better across the board.. I don't have other modern FI experience, so I don't know how this compares.

And again, if anyone is curious, here's what the FI *can* look like when it gets messed up.. Notice there's not always a problem (the vertical line). And when it's there, sometimes you won't even notice it. I will tell you this: When the problem is happening, Low, Middle, High ALWAYS display correctly as Low, Middle, High amounts of FI.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xF8Lj0Xlv9NExncHBUelhsZm8/edit?usp=sharing
omair.haq likes this.
post #191 of 239 Old 05-07-2014, 02:57 AM

As for a similar projector with FI around the same price, I don't know of one. I think you need to go way up in price. The FI is exactly what led me to the W1500. I think it has no competitors (unless you consider the W7000..? I think that one has FI). Technically there's the W1400 (same projector without wireless..), but it's not available in the US. And it also got a firmware update when the W1500 got 1.03, so I imagine it's suffering from the same problem.

Seriously, besides the 3D + FI mess up, the W1500 is a great projector. And for the current going price, I think it's tough to beat, especially if you're curious about FI. 2D FI has no issues what-so-ever. Hopefully they really do fix the 3D FI issue, and on the sooner side.
post #192 of 239 Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 PM

I just purchased this for 1250 @ amazon..

I'm currently on 1.02 firmware and wanted to upgrade to 1.03. Has anyone did this at home versus sending it in? I have all the files pw980, and even connected to my laptop just fine, but I can't enter download mode for some reason? The directions say "2. Hold “Right” key and then plug in AC power cord until three LEDs lit orange to enter download mode" but its not working.. Only the Power LED turns orange which is normal after you plug in AC adapter.. any help?
post #193 of 239 Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 AM

Liked: 11
Hold right key and Plug in Ac power. Red led and ok!
post #194 of 239 Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Can someone provide the list of updates for firmware 1.03 over 1.02? Thanks
post #195 of 239 Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi77 View Post

Hold right key and Plug in Ac power. Red led and ok!

I will give this a shot. After red led press ok? or your just saying ok lol
post #196 of 239 Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by omair.haq View Post

I will give this a shot. After red led press ok? or your just saying ok lol

What does it matter if theres no link to the firmware...or did I just miss it?

post #197 of 239 Old 05-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

What does it matter if theres no link to the firmware...or did I just miss it?

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1500/

username:1080
password:password
omair.haq and gamermwm like this.
post #198 of 239 Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1500/

username:1080
password:password

I just want to confirm, I upgraded to 1.03! Very easy! I used a 32bit Windows 7 laptop, with a high-speed usb2.0 wire. If anyone needs help just shoot me a PM.

1. Connect to your Laptop/PC
2. Turn on Projector
3. Windows will automatically install the drivers.
4. After done installing, unplug USB -> turn off projector -> then unplug AC power cord.
5. Plug back USB
6. Hold the "Right Key" and plug in AC cord ---> POWER should be lit up RED LED and NOT the 3 Orange light like the step by step says.
7. Your computer should recognize something, but it may fail to install the drivers, so open device manager, and locate the unknown device and choose to update the driver ->> Browse my computer for driver
8. The drivers will be in the "PW980 download tool\Windows-Side usb driver" folder --> Widnows may give a warning that its a unknown driver but install anywyas
9. After its done installing the drivers, it should recognize it as a USB Device.
10. Open up FlashUpgrader (it should have all the files already loaded,u-boot.bin, uImage, root.cramfs, rw.jffs2 ), choose USB2.0 under "Connection" and Flash!
11. Once progamming is complete, unplug the usb wire, then unplug the AC power cord, then plug it back in, power on projector and check firmware
post #199 of 239 Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Red led ---> go to pc and update. My win8 driver problem nothing update! Win xp good driver and update w1500.
omair.haq likes this.
post #200 of 239 Old 05-13-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omair.haq View Post

I just want to confirm, I upgraded to 1.03! Very easy! I used a 32bit Windows 7 laptop, with a high-speed usb2.0 wire. If anyone needs help just shoot me a PM.

1. Connect to your Laptop/PC
2. Turn on Projector
3. Windows will automatically install the drivers.
4. After done installing, unplug USB -> turn off projector -> then unplug AC power cord.
5. Plug back USB
6. Hold the "Right Key" and plug in AC cord ---> POWER should be lit up RED LED and NOT the 3 Orange light like the step by step says.
7. Your computer should recognize something, but it may fail to install the drivers, so open device manager, and locate the unknown device and choose to update the driver ->> Browse my computer for driver
8. The drivers will be in the "PW980 download tool\Windows-Side usb driver" folder --> Widnows may give a warning that its a unknown driver but install anywyas
9. After its done installing the drivers, it should recognize it as a USB Device.
10. Open up FlashUpgrader (it should have all the files already loaded,u-boot.bin, uImage, root.cramfs, rw.jffs2 ), choose USB2.0 under "Connection" and Flash!
11. Once progamming is complete, unplug the usb wire, then unplug the AC power cord, then plug it back in, power on projector and check firmware

Thanks for doing this! Both taking the risk of updating at home, and letting us know how you successfully did it!
post #201 of 239 Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkid View Post

Thanks for doing this! Both taking the risk of updating at home, and letting us know how you successfully did it!

No problem! I suggest using a windows 7 or xp computer b/c I had problems with Windows 8.. Its very easy to do, and I would rather do future updates at home versus spending money to send it in, and waiting about a week to get it back.. BenQ should give its customers a choice of upgrading firmware..
post #202 of 239 Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkid View Post

I downloaded everything and followed his steps to the T. I hooked PJ up to laptop. Then unplugged the usb and unplugged power from the PJ. After it completely powered down I reconnected the usb and held the Right key while powering on. Got the red light no prob. Found device as Unknown located the folder with Windows side usb BUT no driver found. For some reason the .sys file for the driver will not show up...I am using a Windows 7 laptop

post #203 of 239 Old 05-17-2014, 08:17 AM

well i tried watching a 3D movie yesterday using WHDMI connection. I was not able to get the projector to display the 3D movie. i have an htpc running powerdvd 13 playing prometheus 3d blu ray. do i need to click or activate anything on the powerdvd player.?? do i need to have the projector in 3d mode before i start the movie. any info is appreciated
post #204 of 239 Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 PM

You shouldn't have to do anything with the W1500. It should automatically detect a 3D signal and switch to 3D mode.

I don't have any experience with PowerDVD, though, so I don't know if/what you need to set in there. Have you done 3D with your HTPC before? Your video card / HDMI output supports it?
post #205 of 239 Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 AM

Someone knows if W1500 firmware v1.03 (or higher) let finally play SBS/TP MKVs via WHDI?

Thx

post #206 of 239 Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 AM

well now I'm able see 3d. I tried to connect an hdmi cable directly from my htpc to the projector and i was able use SBS and OU movies. Also was able to see a regular 3d blu ray discs. The WHDMI connection will not let me see 3d expect when it does 2D to 3D converstion. im on ver 1.02. Also noticed a jump in picture quality using the standard hdmi cable vs WHDMI with 2D. i guess ill stick with a regular HDMI for now until they can fix all the bugs out with the WHDMI. Now im in search of a long enough hdmi cable.
post #207 of 239 Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanaca View Post

well now I'm able see 3d. I tried to connect an hdmi cable directly from my htpc to the projector and i was able use SBS and OU movies. Also was able to see a regular 3d blu ray discs. The WHDMI connection will not let me see 3d expect when it does 2D to 3D converstion. im on ver 1.02. Also noticed a jump in picture quality using the standard hdmi cable vs WHDMI with 2D. i guess ill stick with a regular HDMI for now until they can fix all the bugs out with the WHDMI. Now im in search of a long enough hdmi cable.

I hope that these limitations are due only to the youth of the product. However, you should be able to play 3D Blu-ray via WHDI, also with 1.02 fw.

For me HDMI cable is not a solution: I paid this vpr the double of W1070 just for wireless, and if wireless is so weak, this mean that i threw away money...

post #208 of 239 Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 AM

Hi, now the owner of a W1500. Currently the version it says the firmware is running on is 1.01 for some reason. Is there any benefit to trying to upgrade to 1.03?

EDIT: Also, WHDMI does work with 3D, tested a 3D bluray and a STS. This is firmware 1.01 still.

post #209 of 239 Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggDropbear View Post

Hi, now the owner of a W1500. Currently the version it says the firmware is running on is 1.01 for some reason. Is there any benefit to trying to upgrade to 1.03?

EDIT: Also, WHDMI does work with 3D, tested a 3D bluray and a STS. This is firmware 1.01 still.

Is very strange that you still have 1.01 firmware... This fw dates back pre-christmas time.

I don't know what 1.03 fw adds. In this thread someone have published (page 6) a changelog, but i think is not relative to W1500 because talks about 1.05 fw, and i know that latest fw version of W1500 is 1.03. 
About 3D... What do you mean for STS? Side-by-side MKV? If yes, for me is a fantastic news ;)

post #210 of 239 Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Some thoughts on 3D:

Another new owner here. I had a 1080ST which I loved, but wanted 2D to 3D conversion. I know this feature doesn't matter a lot to most, but to 3D enthusiasts it adds a welcome dynamic; when done right. I had been looking at getting a 3D Bee converter at one time, but wasn't happy with the specs, the ~$300 price tag, the way you have to connect everything to it, and the lower resolutions it outputs. So I went in pretty optimistic with respect to the Benq W1500 and its 2D-3D conversion. I've seen good conversion to bad conversion to excellent conversion on various devices, and I'm happy to report the W1500 is in the excellent conversion category. My Samsung television is also an excellent converter for its 55" screen size. But hooked up to a projector on a 100" screen my external Samsung Bluray player's conversion was crap. I then knew I needed a device with built in conversion, made to handle a very large screen size with quality conversion that would hold up to such scrutiny. In this category the W1500 did not dissapoint

When converting, the 3D scale runs on a scale of -10 all the way to +10. The default is +5. When you take your glasses off and look at a converted image, you immediately notice that a setting of +3 or so gives you very little separation of images/depth, so that's actually your zero. Then as you go up in the positive bracket towards +10, the images separate more as the depth field increases and everything is pushed further back on the z axis, into the screen. This is your less intense "Disney movie conversion" type of 3D effect that doesn't add pop up, but plenty of good solid depth and is relativey easy on the eyes. Again +5 is the default and adds a very mild yet engaging depth with very little eye fatigue compared to stronger settings. Where the built in converter shines though is a setting of +7 to +10

Now onto negative parallax and things being pushed out of the screen. A setting of 0 will give you a mild comfortable effect. Anywhere beyond that, from -1 all the way to -10 is more intense but you may find that it will fatigue your eyes a lot faster. But rather than everything being pushed back into the screen (ala a screen door and/or looking through a window effect) everything is being pushed out towards you as the axis moves out not in. Closeups of people and objects may cause them to sit on a plane outside of the screen. Watch the studio conversion of Jurassic Park 3D and you will see what I mean. It is a beauty in 3D and the best studio conversion I have ever seen with not only pop out - but lots of negative parallax and things happening/being positioned out of screen. These minus settings may add little "pop out" effects in a traditional sense, as a baseball thrown toward the screen might not look like it's going to come all the way out and hit you in the nose - but you would need a bluray 3D for that kind of effect. This is top notch for what it is, and it's a gimmick in and of itself that mostly works

Yes, there are conversion errors, but that's impossible to eliminate on the whole and that is why even with JVC's more expensive Movie Studio auto-converting software there is some quality control present and someone is there to add some real pop out effects with objects when needed and check for conversion errors. I give the W1500 an A in conversion and unless you don't like the feature or 3D much in the first place, or are already negatively inclined, or just the pickiest of picky people - you should find you like it as well. Just keep in mind that the Frame Interpolation is your friend and makes the juddery effect of fast motion and camera pans (which for some reason is more sickeningly bad when watching converted material) more manageable and almost a non issue for the most part
HenDokuYaku likes this.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page