BenQ W1500 full hd 3D ready DLP projector WHDMI - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 239 Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool! Thanks for the explanation of the scale setting. I turned the 2D->3D conversion on a few times, but I never changed the scale. Perhaps I'll have to mess with it a bit more! : D
gamermwm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 239 Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggDropbear View Post

Hi, now the owner of a W1500. Currently the version it says the firmware is running on is 1.01 for some reason. Is there any benefit to trying to upgrade to 1.03?

Do you still have the W1500 packaging/box? It should say when the manufacture month was.. My projector was manufactured in October and was firmware version 1.02. That's interesting you wound up with an W1500 with v1.01. I don't know anything about that version.. I do know that the W1400 had version 1.01 until the W1500's 1.03 came out (and W1400 got 1.02), so I figure v1.02 had something to do with wireless..?

As for what's new in version 1.03.. Version 1.03 was released specifically to fix the 3D + Frame Interpolation bug/issue, but it didn't actually fix it. It DID make it easier to make it go away, though.. There were 2 other things I notice that changed, but I'm not sure if they were there in v 1.02 or not.

1) In the 3D menu, in v 1.03, you can explicitly say "Off" if you're in 3D mode, and it kicks you out to 2D mode, with the left and right images both displaying side by side (but they are both still 16x9 and they are small-ish). You can then turn 3D mode back on from that same menu. As far as I thought, you weren't able to do this in version 1.02. Everything in there was just grayed out (or at least if the W1500 was receiving a 3d frame-packed signal).

2) In version 1.02, I mentioned noticing sharpness / detail-enhancement being messed up.. Sharpness didn't seem to do much at all, and DE only kicked in if Sharpness was at 2 and DE was at 3 or 4. In version 1.03, I've noticed sharpness does actually do something. There is a subtle, but decent progression from 0 -> 2 for sharpness. Did this happen in version 1.02? It very well might have. I'm not sure.. I haven't been able to find the test image I was using in version 1.02. But the "Borderlands 2" PS3 splashscreen shows real progression as Sharpness is changed in version 1.03. However, the detail enhancement issue is still messed up.. (Only detail enhancement of 3 or 4 actually "stays' on the screen and only when sharpness is set to 2.. Every other setting still just makes a flash of contrast-adjustment then goes back to no detail enhancement.)

Anyway, those are things I noticed (but again, they might not be different from 1.02). But according to BenQ, 1.03 was to fix the 3D + FI "vertical line" issue.
post #213 of 239 Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently connected via hdmi cable, and when I check the last page in settings, its says the COLOR SYSTEM: YUV . Is that correct?
post #214 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 03:28 AM

Hi, I can use the v1.03 firmware from w1500 for benq benq w1400?

post #215 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedar View Post

Hi, I can use the v1.03 firmware from w1500 for benq benq w1400?

Not sure if it is possible to use the 1500 firmware on the 1400. In nearly all cases there is specific firmware for each model. Example W1070 W 1080.
post #216 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I downloaded everything and followed his steps to the T. I hooked PJ up to laptop. Then unplugged the usb and unplugged power from the PJ. After it completely powered down I reconnected the usb and held the Right key while powering on. Got the red light no prob. Found device as Unknown located the folder with Windows side usb BUT no driver found. For some reason the .sys file for the driver will not show up...I am using a Windows 7 laptop

Just a reminder if anyone else has had this issue? I've been able to repeat exactly gamermwm's exact scenario. Windows 7 laptop is not able to complete the W1500 driver installation. It finds the initial file but then says it's missing a file during attempted install.

I'll try to do this on a Win 8 desktop and see if it makes any difference.
post #217 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM

I haven't had that issue. I did have some with Win8 laptop, then got it to recognize on a Win7 32bit laptop.. try rebooting the computer or re-downloading the side load usb drivers...
post #218 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Well, and where can I find firmware for benq w1400?

post #219 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedar View Post

Well, and where can I find firmware for benq w1400?

I just went thru the ftp directory, there isn't a firmware folder for w1400..
post #220 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omair.haq View Post

I'm currently connected via hdmi cable, and when I check the last page in settings, its says the COLOR SYSTEM: YUV . Is that correct?

adding to this.. when i switched to WirelessHDMI it changed the color system to RGB.. I have an older, HIGH SPEED 22awg monoprice HDMI wire that I purchased 2-3 years ago. It's running thru the walls so its hard to replace it, and the projector is mounted on the ceiling.. I was concerned the color system wasn't YCbCr 4:4:4? Any help?

edit:
just got off the phone with benq tech, they said yuv is normal and nothing to concern over..
post #221 of 239 Old 05-23-2014, 07:39 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I haven't had that issue. I did have some with Win8 laptop, then got it to recognize on a Win7 32bit laptop.. try rebooting the computer or re-downloading the side load usb drivers...

I've tried all of that. I wonder if the fact that mine is a 64 bit win 7 laptop could have anything to do with it.
post #222 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 03:09 AM

Hi all.

about to take the leap and buy either the W1300 or the W1400 but cant make a decision because of the input lag time difference between both units. going to be using the PJ for both gaming and watching movies so thats why im stuck.

from what i gather;

W1300 : input lag time sits at about 33ms (2 frames)

W1500 : 66ms (4 frames) wired.

Questions is, has anyone played any games on the W1500 and confirm that input lag is noticeable to the point its not suited for gaming? or come across any other info in relation to lag on the W1500.

post #223 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM

I can only answer for console gaming using a controller.. (which doesn't give the same preciseness as a mouse on a computer).

I play console first person shooters on the W1500 a lot, and I haven't noticed any input lag. I'm not saying you won't notice anything, maybe you're very sensitive, who knows, but I haven't noticed anything, and I haven't had any kind of problems. I read the hype about the input lag, and feared how gaming would turn out.. it's a non-issue for me. I play all sorts of other games, and no issues, no noticeable input lag.

However, I have NOT plugged the projector into a computer and used a mouse/keyboard setup in an FPS. If I were to notice something, it would guaranteed be then. And if there was input lag there, yes it would probably drive me crazy. So, if your plan is to game on a computer, I can't answer that for you. Now I'm curious, though. Maybe I'll test this out later if I get a chance.
post #224 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkid View Post

I can only answer for console gaming using a controller.. (which doesn't give the same preciseness as a mouse on a computer).

I play console first person shooters on the W1500 a lot, and I haven't noticed any input lag. I'm not saying you won't notice anything, maybe you're very sensitive, who knows, but I haven't noticed anything, and I haven't had any kind of problems. I read the hype about the input lag, and feared how gaming would turn out.. it's a non-issue for me. I play all sorts of other games, and no issues, no noticeable input lag.

Same here. I was kind of afraid after hearing lag was this PJ biggest issue...but after firing up Titanfall on the 360 I didnt notice it really. Even when I was face to face with another player I would often get the melee or kill and I'm not all that great at the game. I have decent internet speed so that probably levels the playing field some too

I'm using a 25' hdmi run though as I wasn't happy with the wireless performance

post #225 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM

AAH CRAP! Why didn't u guys reply sooner LOL! bought the W1300 this morning all because I was scared of all this input lag business with the W1500.

Anyone interested in buying a unopened W1300 lol
post #226 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Return it, almost everyone takes back an unopened projector....

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #227 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Long story about the returns with where I bought it.

Apart from WHDMI am I loosing out on anything major owning a W1300 compared to a W1500?
post #228 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Is picture quality dramatically different between W1300 & W1500?

And is,
2000 ANSI lumens (W1300) and 2200 ANSI lumens (W1500) a noticeable difference?

Debating if it's worth upgrading from W1300 to W1500
post #229 of 239 Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 PM

I'd say WHDMI and Frame Interpolation are the main items that differentiate the W1500 from the W1300.

You probably won't notice the lumen difference.. My friends have a W1080ST and it looks no different from my W1500. The W1080ST has the same lumen rating as the W1300.

The image difference should be zero. They should look pretty much identical.

Differences that I know of, that might make a difference:

1) Throw ratio/distances. The W1300 doesn't have quite as much throw/zoom capabilities as the W1500, so it'll be a little less flexible for placement/set-up.
2) WHDMI - The WHDMI feature on the W1500 is pretty gimmicky, if you ask me. If you care about HD content and an HD image, you're not going to be pleased with the WHDMI feature. There is a very noticeable degradation of image quality when watching a blu-ray movie. If you're only watching standard def stuff, maybe you wouldn't have a problem with the WHDMI.
3) Frame Interpolation - The frame interpolation feature is awesome. HOWEVER, there's a bug with frame interpolation in 3D mode. BenQ knows about it and attempted to fix it with a firmware update, but it didn't fix it. Hopefully another firmware update will come along soon enough that fixes it. Anyway, if you don't care about frame interpolation, then this feature isn't worth anything over the W1300. Personally, the frame interpolation in 3D mode is one of the main reasons I personally bought the W1500.

But right. The W1300 and W1500 are more or less the same, with the W1500 having a few extra features, notably #2 and #3 above. If you don't care about those, just keep the W1300. : D
post #230 of 239 Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 AM

Rakkid you rock!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that. If only you were my sales person at the time I was trying to buy the thing!

Is frame interpolation the kind of thing that when you see it in action has a major positive effect compared to without it?
post #231 of 239 Old 05-30-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaelmontana View Post

Rakkid you rock!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that. If only you were my sales person at the time I was trying to buy the thing!

Is frame interpolation the kind of thing that when you see it in action has a major positive effect compared to without it?
If turning on frame interpolation adds the soap opera effect I would most definitely say it's not worth it. Now if it improves judder and motion with the SOE then it can be a great feature. A little bit of SOE in 3D can be okay but in 2D, absolutely not! Plus, according to the post above it is not working correctly in 3D. So it comes down to how well it works in 2D.

Maybe an owner who uses it can chime in on that.
post #232 of 239 Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If turning on frame interpolation adds the soap opera effect I would most definitely say it's not worth it. Now if it improves judder and motion with the SOE then it can be a great feature. A little bit of SOE in 3D can be okay but in 2D, absolutely not! Plus, according to the post above it is not working correctly in 3D. So it comes down to how well it works in 2D.

Maybe an owner who uses it can chime in on that.

I have had FI on "low" most of the time on FW 1.03 and I have no soap opera effect. IF you turn it up higher, you may notice it. But FI is great for watching sports
post #233 of 239 Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaelmontana View Post

Quote:

I have had FI on "low" most of the time on FW 1.03 and I have no soap opera effect. IF you turn it up higher, you may notice it. But FI is great for watching sports

Haha, right on! Yeaa, I hear you.. but unfortunately it's just a jobbb for the salesperson.. we probably care more and are more interested than they are. : D

I think *initially* when you see frame interpolation in action, your brain tells you it looks "weird." Especially in 2D! It's not extreme, but it's there. That's where the soap opera effect comes in. Your brain is getting more information than you're used for film/movies. It triggers something in your brain that says "this is how junky old TV soap operas looked..". (They were shot at a higher frame rate.) Ironically, you're getting way more information, but our brains tell us it's weird, because we're not used to it. However, if you stick with it, you tend to not notice after a little while. Perhaps a quick action shot makes you realize you're seeing it again for a moment.. You eventually totally get used to it.

Now, it's not all bad..

As Omair.haq said, on low, it's not noticeable. I would say it's noticeable initially, but disappears easily. And perhaps the content matters. The implementation of the FI is excellent, if you ask me. There is very littlle visual artifacting. On high, in extreme motion, you can see some blockiness, but that's about it. At any point where you aren't being presented with blobs of motion, FI doesn't add in any negative visual effects.

Personally, I don't use it for 2D. The real reason is I never spent the time to get used to it, since I didn't feel I *needed* it, and I don't watch sports. I wonder, now, if I turned on FI in 2D, how much I'd notice, since I'm so used to it in 3D.

Which brings me to: I DO use it for 3D. To minimize judder, just as eric3316 said. And it's awesome! Not sure how into 3D you are, but if you ever see fast-motion anything, then you know the image gets noticeably jumpy during 3D. Turn on FI and, no more. It gets very very smoooth. And I barely notice any soap opera effect in 3D even when FI is set to High. However, I have gotten used to it. I recall initially, high was a bit much, but now I'm all about it for how much smoother the motion is.

However! There IS a bug with the W1500 (and supposedly W1400) in regards to FI + 3D. i have mentioned it a lot, and have posted videos of the problem, and how to fix the problem, etc. It's more of a frustrating pain in the butt than a total deal breaker, but if you aren't technically savvy and willing to mess with settings, then it probably IS a deal breaker. Just look for my posts in this thread, and you'll find the info.

I really think how frame interpolation looks, and what it adds, comes down to a personal preference. I think in 3D it offers a huge improvement, and I hear that it does the same for sports. But really, it's something you need to sit down with and commit yourself to a full movie with it on, to really see how you feel. Just seeing it for 5 minutes in a demo doesn't do it justice. Even the low, which is very mild, is still something that disrupts what your brain is used to, so you will probably notice initially. (Though, I have turned it on for family members, and they don't notice anything. They're just like "ohhhh, that looks great!")

If you saw The Hobbit in theaters at 48 frames per second, it's that same "weirdness", except I'd say Low (and maybe Medium) is definitely more subtle than how The Hobbit looked.
post #234 of 239 Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkid View Post

If you saw The Hobbit in theaters at 48 frames per second, it's that same "weirdness", except I'd say Low (and maybe Medium) is definitely more subtle than how The Hobbit looked.

So would you say while watching the recent bluray 3D release of The Hobbit DoS...the best way to simulate the 48fps experience is set FI to high?

Thanks for all the great info Rakkid. More people should be talking about this projector, IMO it blows away everything in the price range with the amount of features/etc. I ended up paying less than 1200 for it thanks to Amazon giving me a 60 dollar credit after the price dropped within 30 days of my purchase. It's now out of stock directly from Amazon, and I wonder if there is something new in the pipeline and perhaps they were clearing out the last of their stock. I've heard rumors....and one of them was of a short throw version of this same PJ, as a successor to the Benq 1080st. The 'big zoom' feature on the W1500 is plenty for most people though I think, and that's coming from someone who previously owned the 1080st

One thing I'd add about FI is just how well it makes fast moving content more watchable when using 2D to 3D conversion. I did a write up previously about how great the conversion was, but one weakness (in most other converters out there as well) was panning/fast movement. The FI helps tremendously, it can't be stated enough, when using the 2D-3D conversion process

A lot of purists don't want to touch FI on 2D or 3D 24p (bluray) content. Most of the professional reviewers agree with that notion. I'm not a purist really, but I do appreciate 24p content natively, and coming from a Benq 1080 with no FI I can say for a fact it's really not much of an issue at all on native bluray 24p 3D content. You would be perfectly fine, as the reviewers say, not using the feature at all. But as RAkkid said it can be a game changer when engaged because it simply works (the only argument is whether it's necessary). In 2D-3D conversion it actually is necessary 99% of the time in my opinion

post #235 of 239 Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what would you guys say would be the maximum screen size while using 3d? looking around for a projector that could do 3d comfortably @ 125 inches
post #236 of 239 Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by rakkid 

So would you say while watching the recent bluray 3D release of The Hobbit DoS...the best way to simulate the 48fps experience is set FI to high?
I guess so, but don't quote me on that. : D Probably either medium or high.. I definitely think the 48 frames per second is smoother than the low setting. But it has been like 6 months or so since I saw it in the theater, so who knows.. : D

And I'm glad I'm not the only fan of FI in 3D! It really does make such a huge difference!
post #237 of 239 Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
what would you guys say would be the maximum screen size while using 3d? looking around for a projector that could do 3d comfortably @ 125 inches
I guess it depends on what you think an acceptable brightness is, and what exactly the zoom ratio is for your set up.

125 inch diagonal should be great, especially if you have the projector near to the screen, rather than far away from it.

If you have the projector near to the screen, and it's zoomed to where you have the image as big as it can get, then the projector may be able to go even higher than 125, depending on what's an acceptable brightness for you. I've used it at both 135 and 150, and the 135 was great, and the 150 was totally fine, but I noticed it was a bit less vibrant, I guess, and I kinda felt it was missing a bit of visual "punch".. but that was projected just on a plain white wall, so on a real screen, it might have brought it back a bit.
post #238 of 239 Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

I watched Her last night with this PJ and it was a great experience. The movie was very gripping throughout. I used the 2D-3D conversion and found my preferred depth setting was around -5 this time (a bit strong for some I'm sure). The conversion process is at it's finest when the algorithm isn't trying to chase and convert moving images, so slower movies (dramas/comedies/etc.) with a full screen (16:9 or 1:78) aspect ratio produce the finest results. And bluray will of course produce the best results vs highly compressed satellite/cable images

On a separate note, I tried using a Win 8 computer to update my firmware (vs the Win 7 computer I had used before) and still ran into the exact same problem. Once I get to the part where hold down the right button and turn on the power (red LED) I search for drivers but it can't find it. So I manually try to pinpoint the driver but it acts like it can't even see it because it's a .sys file (it only sees .inf files). Another poster contacted me in a PM recently saying he had the exact same problem, so I'm really wondering how anyone got the update to work

post #239 of 239 Old 06-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by rakkid 

I guess so, but don't quote me on that. : D Probably either medium or high.. I definitely think the 48 frames per second is smoother than the low setting. But it has been like 6 months or so since I saw it in the theater, so who knows.. : D

And I'm glad I'm not the only fan of FI in 3D! It really does make such a huge difference!
Yeah I guess the FI setting would have to be high enough to produce the soap opera effect to mimic 48fps, so medium or high sounds about right. I've got the movie so I'll have to give it a shot sometime instead of watching it with FI on Low like last time

I am definitely a fan of FI. There's a reason Peter Jackson is shooting in 3D at 48fps! The higher framerate just makes everything a lot better/smoother in 3D

I also used your sharpness + detail enhancement trick to make it work and am loving the results. It's probably along the likes of what you would see with a Darbee. Engaging and then disengaging on just about any content shows you just how much detail it really adds. Even in 3D and even with bluray. Sometimes PJ quality images look a bit soft, but this really gives you back the vibrant LCD HDTV look

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page