post #241 of 250 Old 07-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookdene View Post
Have had the BenQ W1500 for just over a month and am trying to familiarise myself with the many controls and menus over my previous projector a Optoma HD20, My comments so far and advice willingly sought: generally I am happy with the W1500 (Ser No.PVC9D02857000 S); my only comment so far on construction is the rather flimsy plastic cover over the vertical shift control which is quite poorly hinged and appears to be broken on the right hinge!

Light output is very good and I run in ECO mode for my current size screen (about 6ft wide 16:9). One aspect that puzzles is the reference by 'rakkid' to other firmware versions (mine is 1.01) as there is no reference to other firmware versions on the BenQ web site under product support so where are they listed as I have been unable to find any other reference to firmware.

So far I am using the wireless mode; 'when making a wireless connection' it takes some time to lock on to the video signal (especially in 3D mode) even though the Tx says it it connected. Sometime it fails to achieve lock on without shutting down and re-starting; to clarify I am using the transmitter from a new Sony STR-DN1040 AV Receiver with two HDMI Outputs. One output to the TV and the other has the TX fitted. After 'eventual' video lock the picture fluctuates between mono and colour for a few seconds before settling down. Is this normal?

I have not yet made any serious attempts to calibrate and have a Disney 'WOW' blueray disc which I used to calibrate my TV, think this will be suitable for the projector?
Comments and advice from the more experienced would be appreciated.
There are some instructions to update the firmware in this thread - however if you actually get them to work please let me know how. I've tried to use two different computers with 2 different versions of windows to no avail (I posted about it at the time). Coming from a 1080ST which I have successfully updated myself more than once, it's a very frustratingly different and more difficult process updating the W1500

That said, out of the box the W1500 is kind of like buying a 1070 or 1080ST with all of their neccessary firmware updates already installed and a few unique/extra features. Check the changelog for those projectors which had to be updated so many times just to get many of the other 3D modes added and to get rid of a strange green tint and faster source switching. Besides the wireless issues (I won't touch the wireless on the W1500 after I saw the noise it introduced) & the FI problem (which is still a problem after the latest firmware if I read Rakkid right) not a whole lot to fix on this PJ

As for the WOW disc, I did not have much success with it -my tv is much easier to calibrate via disc than a PJ. Find a good calibration on a professional review site, that's what I did and it's quite excellent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your response - will read your previous entry on the subject of firmware before any further comments on this subject. Out of the box I find that the colour balance is quite good (using USER 1) which is what I shall use for my own settings. Have not noticed any noise with the wireless mode nor any colour imbalance with 3D against using a HDMI cable connection to the source (Sony BDP-S470 with latest firmware - thinking of changing my blu-ray player but have not decided which model to go for.
Have gone through the previous inputs to this thread and although there are several references to firmware issues nowhere does it indicate where they can be accessed. If I go onto the BenQ website (UK) I find nothing in the Product Support to indicate there has been any change to the issue I have which is 1.01. Rather surprised there has been so little comment on my initial posting. Where O where are the firmware updates for UK 1500's if there are any! On the box the date of manufacture is specified as September 2013.

Last edited by Brookdene; 07-16-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Related supplementary information.
post #243 of 250 Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by gamermwm 

I downloaded everything and followed his steps to the T. I hooked PJ up to laptop. Then unplugged the usb and unplugged power from the PJ. After it completely powered down I reconnected the usb and held the Right key while powering on. Got the red light no prob. Found device as Unknown located the folder with Windows side usb BUT no driver found. For some reason the .sys file for the driver will not show up...I am using a Windows 7 laptop

Just a reminder if anyone else has had this issue? I've been able to repeat exactly gamermwm's exact scenario. Windows 7 laptop is not able to complete the W1500 driver installation. It finds the initial file but then says it's missing a file during attempted install.

I'll try to do this on a Win 8 desktop and see if it makes any difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by omair.haq 

I haven't had that issue. I did have some with Win8 laptop, then got it to recognize on a Win7 32bit laptop.. try rebooting the computer or re-downloading the side load usb drivers...

I've tried all of that. I wonder if the fact that mine is a 64 bit win 7 laptop could have anything to do with it.
So I've tried everything but am running into the same problem on a Win 8 64bit laptop and a Win 7 64bit desktop. Attached is the error message I get when I select the driver in the "Windows-side usb driver" folder.

I bet it won't work on any 64bit Windows.. let me see if I can find my old copy of WinXP..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error message.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	174618  
post #244 of 250 Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall77 View Post
So I've tried everything but am running into the same problem on a Win 8 64bit laptop and a Win 7 64bit desktop. Attached is the error message I get when I select the driver in the "Windows-side usb driver" folder.

I bet it won't work on any 64bit Windows.. let me see if I can find my old copy of WinXP..
Good luck. I'm still hoping someone out there can crack this issue

post #245 of 250 Old 07-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Couldn't find my copy of XP so I went to my parents house and borrowed their old, old Gateway Win XP 32bit laptop. Hahaha, it worked!!

One other issue I ran into was the "flash" button was greyed out, the instructions from Benq say to have the files you're flashing in the same directory/folder as Flashupgrader, copied those over and it allowed me to flash.

I just got my projector back from Benq today and for some reason they DOWNGRADED my firmware which is what lead me to this thread. This projector was made in Oct '13 and I had 1.02, when I turned it on today I had 1.01!

Thanks for the directions guys!!
post #246 of 250 Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Couldn't find my copy of XP so I went to my parents house and borrowed their old, old Gateway Win XP 32bit laptop. Hahaha, it worked!!

One other issue I ran into was the "flash" button was greyed out, the instructions from Benq say to have the files you're flashing in the same directory/folder as Flashupgrader, copied those over and it allowed me to flash.

I just got my projector back from Benq today and for some reason they DOWNGRADED my firmware which is what lead me to this thread. This projector was made in Oct '13 and I had 1.02, when I turned it on today I had 1.01!

Thanks for the directions guys!!
Wow I finally got the update and am on 1.03. Thanks to your post I tried using Windows XP on an old piece of crap computer and it worked this time. I also had the greyed out 'flash' button problem in Flashupgrader but found the needed files in another folder and copied them into the same folder flashupgrader was in and it worked as you said - Thanks!

post #247 of 250 Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Was the CFI + 3D bug finally fixed?
post #248 of 250 Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Discontinued?

According to VisualApex the W1500 is discontinued. I'm not sure when that went into effect. Anyone have any info on that? I just picked mine up 3-4 months ago (my first projector) and have been pretty happy with it (except the fan noise is a little higher than I would like).
post #249 of 250 Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post
According to VisualApex the W1500 is discontinued. I'm not sure when that went into effect. Anyone have any info on that? I just picked mine up 3-4 months ago (my first projector) and have been pretty happy with it (except the fan noise is a little higher than I would like).
Yeah they've got new models of all the previous Benq product line. There are topics here on AVS if you search for them, most are not at all big upgrades from the previous designs

And no, the FI problem has not been fixed, but I can confirm with the last firmware update it's a lot less of a hassle to deal with

post #250 of 250 Old 09-11-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the current username and password for ftp benq? 1080 and password is not working.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page