Anyone bought and tried the new VIEWSONIC PJD5533w - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really interested in this projector but want to see if anyone has bought this and given the 3D a go. AWESOME price at only $499 for all it has to offer.

ViewSonic

Model
PJD5533W

Cabinet Color
Black

Type
DLP

Display

Brightness
2800 lumens

Native Resolution
1280 x 800

Contrast Ratio
15000:1

Lens

Lens
1.1x Optical Zoom Lens

Throw Ratio
1.5 - 1.65:1

Keystone Correction
Digital keystone correction +/- 40 degrees

Lamps & Accessories

Lamp Life
4500/6000 (Normal/ECO)

Connectivity

Input Video Compatibility
Analog RGB, Digital, S-Video, Composite

Input Video Connectors
D-Sub, HDMI, Composite, S-Video

Output Video Connectors
D-Sub

Other Connectors
RS-232

Convenience

Built-in Speakers
2W

Features
WXGA 1280x800, DLP, 2,800 lumens brightness and 15,000:1 contrast ratio

HDMI, dual VGA, composite, S-video, RS232, VGA/audio out, integrated speaker

3D Blu-ray ready, vertical keystone correction, 1.1x optical zoom lens, remote control

DynamicEco - reduce brightness by 70% for capture audience's focus when not in use

Physical Spec

Dimensions
10.5" x 3.3" x 8.7"

Weight
4.6 lbs.

Quick Info
Warranty

Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/projectors/3d-capable/pjd5533w.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

bump. surely someone out there has this one and can comment on it.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

bump. surely someone out there has this one and can comment on it.

It's fairly new and it's considered a business presentation projector which usually don't get a lot of traction in this forum. It's a light cannon but the contrast ratio at 15,000:1 is lacking compared to many home theater projectors. It's not a true HD projector although it will accept 720p and 1080p sources and scale them to its native resolution. I understand that the low price makes this a tempting option and several years ago a projector with these specs would have generated a good deal of excitement. I read one customer review (elsewhere) who seemed quite happy with this projector so for around $500 it certainly won't break the bank if you try it.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 24 Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

It's fairly new and it's considered a business presentation projector which usually don't get a lot of traction in this forum. It's a light cannon but the contrast ratio at 15,000:1 is lacking compared to many home theater projectors. It's not a true HD projector although it will accept 720p and 1080p sources and scale them to its native resolution. I understand that the low price makes this a tempting option and several years ago a projector with these specs would have generated a good deal of excitement. I read one customer review (elsewhere) who seemed quite happy with this projector so for around $500 it certainly won't break the bank if you try it.

Im going to buy it in couple months and give it a go. To me this projector is umpteen times better then my current projector. I have a 4 year old viewsonic pjd6211, business projector. It only has vga no hdmi and contrast ratio of 3000:1 and 2500 lumans so this pjd5533 will be a big step up. I've been content with my current one and enjoy it greatly in normal 2D mode. I'm easy to please. The problem with my current one is when its put in 3D mode. The lumans drop probably 60%, no joke and divides the contrast in 1/2 to. I've contacted viewsonic and they said there is barely a drop in lumans in 3D mode with the pjd5533 so to me this projector is more then enough and I will probably enjoy it greatly.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering this projector as a backup for my current projector. I have an Optoma GT750E but it has developed an issue. It now re-starts every time I turn it off - the Optoma is 6 months old and still under full warranty. It's a known issue and I can send it in to be repaired but I don't want to be without my projector.

This ViewSonic has all the same features that I like in the Optoma and it's a hell of a good price ($500.00 with free shipping on eBay)!

It will also give me a second projector for my office when we're not using it as a replacement.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using a couple of low lumen led pjs (50 and 100lm) but have strongly considered the viewsonics for cheap 2d viewing. I think it's one of those 'if you don't know what you're missing' you'll be fine things. Most reviews of even the XGA 2d Viewsonic units have been more than positive especially considering their price.

Please post impressions and pics if you guys end up snagging one!
post #7 of 24 Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
How would this PJ for outdoor night time viewing?
post #8 of 24 Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

By what i've heard others, this projector does a great job of 2d images so I would have to say yes on night time viewing. A projector with this high contrast is going to give an awesome picture.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

So, I just ordered one these projectors from Newegg for $499. tI should get here by the end of this week. I'll put my complete review of it, including 3D usage, posted in couple of weeks. Look forward to seeing how well this one looks. stayed tuned over next couple of weeks. I'll make video of it to for all to see. It will be thorough. Post any questions you would have for it and I'll be sure to answer them ALL.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

So, I got in today when i came home. I've got it hooked up as we speak and am testing it out. I'll put some of my opinion about it right now but wont really have a chance to get into every aspect of it till tomorrow. First of all this thing blows my current vga only projector the viewsonic pjd6211 out of the water! The contrast and brightness and just how it looks really amazes me. The picture is clear and well defined, at least for me. I'll give more info on it tomorrow. God bless.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

So, I got in today when i came home. I've got it hooked up as we speak and am testing it out. I'll put some of my opinion about it right now but wont really have a chance to get into every aspect of it till tomorrow. First of all this thing blows my current vga only projector the viewsonic pjd6211 out of the water! The contrast and brightness and just how it looks really amazes me. The picture is clear and well defined, at least for me. I'll give more info on it tomorrow. God bless.

Will be interested to see your review. This could be the 'sleeper' bargain for the $500 crowd.

-G

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #12 of 24 Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only reason I didn't buy one when they were released was the less than flexible zoom, for my situation at least.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

So far, I've hooked this up via the VGA connection to my computer and HDMI connection to my computer. Tomorrow I should be able to hook it up to my friends ps3 to get a good fell for those just wanting to hook it up to a 3D blue ray player. After i do that, then I feel I have the info needed for all HOOK UP situations and then will post my complete review for it. I've also used the 3D for the VGA and the HDMI but only to my PC. Look for a complete review and saturday or sunday and a Video review of it Sun or Mon.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I tried to get 2 diff pictures of the projector image, one in 2D mode and another in 3D mode. It's hard to do but i manged to get something that could allow you to see how my eye's are seeing it a bit.

PIC 1: projector image in 2D

http://s591.photobucket.com/user/newdude19781/media/DSCF3940.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

PIC 2: projector image in 3D mode

http://s591.photobucket.com/user/newdude19781/media/DSCF3941.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Notice the image in 3D mode isn't as bright which would be expected. Where as the 2D image one is brighter and not as washed out.complete review coming tomorrow.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

never mind those pics up top. I didn't do something right. I'll have a full write up on this projector thursda night. Sorry about the delay.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't forgotten my review. Just trying to paint my room and is taking lots of time up. I'll get review on here soon.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM

How have you liked this projector so far?
post #18 of 24 Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Guys, (...and narhic_fd especially....2 months since your last "promise"? You could paint your whole house in that time! eek.gif )

I got one of the first PDJ6683ws units early last fall, and installed it in what would be considered a less than ideal location. Posted a Thread up on DIY Screens all about it, and the specific screen app I chose to match up with it. ( narhic_fd ...how could you not remember frown.gif ) It is only 200 lumen brighter than the 5533, with the same Contrast specs. Essentially it is the "Short Throw" Version: http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJD6683ws.htm

I found both the image quality and the optics to perform far beyond the expectations I had...owning to the fact I chose it almost out of desperation because of the need to use a Short Throw unit. To find one with HDMI & 15,000:1 CR / DLP was a big relief, and the choice justified by the end results. And what's all the more cool...the PJ referred to in this thread...the 2800 Lumen PJD5533w....it shows a 10 lumen brighter image than the 3000 Lumen PDJ6683ws on any similar sized screen'

What's not to love?

Anywho, here is the Thread :
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

...........but for those who don't want to sully themselves over on that Forum, here are the end results on Tab Tensioned Mfg Screen painted with a High Contrast DIY Screen Paint. Judge the performance of the PDJ6683ws PJ with what you should expect from the Thread Starters choice.

No lights w/ low ambient Sunlight leakage
Additional 25% Can Lighting w/Flood Bulbs
(...yeech...should be "Spots"....) mad.gif ...and will be soon !
Full on 100% Floods. (...not a real world circumstance but an effective comparison to show that resistance to such lighting is actually happening...)

The first 3 shots on the left side of the first composite were taken at 4:30 PM after the Sun had passed the south facing Window. All the others were takem mid-morning to just past Noon when the Sun was hitting the Window full on.

Room shots and a close up of the Viewsonic PJD 6683ws Short Throw PJ http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJD6683ws.htm

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
How do you think this PJ would fare outside at night?
post #20 of 24 Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Just came to this thread while goggling PJD5533w issues and want to share my experience. I got this off TigerDirect for $500 and the thing stopped accepting signal from the HDMI. Tried with several devices (PS3, Macbook Pro, Asus laptop, PC evga 660 GTX) and the HDMI just dies. TigerDirect wont accept returns past 30 days so wrote customer support 3 times in 2 weeks with no reply. I took it to Twitter to check my luck there and will also try facebook.

I remember I had a nice Viewsonic CRT and on my research they seemed to do good projector for the money and bit. Good thing I got the squaretrade warranty since I had a gut feeling this was going to be a bad device and here I am. The picture is great but after 3 months hdmi was finicky and now it completely died less than half a year later? Nah. 

post #21 of 24 Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Guys, (...and narhic_fd especially....2 months since your last "promise"? You could paint your whole house in that time! eek.gif )

I got one of the first PDJ6683ws units early last fall, and installed it in what would be considered a less than ideal location. Posted a Thread up on DIY Screens all about it, and the specific screen app I chose to match up with it. ( narhic_fd ...how could you not remember frown.gif ) It is only 200 lumen brighter than the 5533, with the same Contrast specs. Essentially it is the "Short Throw" Version: http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJD6683ws.htm

I found both the image quality and the optics to perform far beyond the expectations I had...owning to the fact I chose it almost out of desperation because of the need to use a Short Throw unit. To find one with HDMI & 15,000:1 CR / DLP was a big relief, and the choice justified by the end results. And what's all the more cool...the PJ referred to in this thread...the 2800 Lumen PJD5533w....it shows a 10 lumen brighter image than the 3000 Lumen PDJ6683ws on any similar sized screen'

What's not to love?

Anywho, here is the Thread :
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

...........but for those who don't want to sully themselves over on that Forum, here are the end results on Tab Tensioned Mfg Screen painted with a High Contrast DIY Screen Paint. Judge the performance of the PDJ6683ws PJ with what you should expect from the Thread Starters choice.

No lights w/ low ambient Sunlight leakage
Additional 25% Can Lighting w/Flood Bulbs
(...yeech...should be "Spots"....) mad.gif ...and will be soon !
Full on 100% Floods. (...not a real world circumstance but an effective comparison to show that resistance to such lighting is actually happening...)

The first 3 shots on the left side of the first composite were taken at 4:30 PM after the Sun had passed the south facing Window. All the others were takem mid-morning to just past Noon when the Sun was hitting the Window full on.

Room shots and a close up of the Viewsonic PJD 6683ws Short Throw PJ http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJD6683ws.htm

HOLLY COW!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif . I thought this post lost people's interest and gave up on it.. MississippisMan, I can't believe the guys at the DIY screen section actually let you out of your cage and explore other forums, lol biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ??? How did you mange that, lol.. As MississippiMan knows, I've been a bit challenged in the painting part when it comes to my screen. Not his fault, mostly mine. I didn't see much interest on this post so didn't really think many were interested in purchasing it. I guess, I need to keep my promises and put up my full take on it this weekend...I PROMISE(Once i make a promise I must keep it). It really is a good projector for the price and great specs. I'll make a video of it too for youtube.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 AM

good info, A projector with this high contrast is going to give an awesome picture.thank you

2.gif

post #23 of 24 Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post

Just came to this thread while goggling PJD5533w issues and want to share my experience. I got this off TigerDirect for $500 and the thing stopped accepting signal from the HDMI. Tried with several devices (PS3, Macbook Pro, Asus laptop, PC evga 660 GTX) and the HDMI just dies. TigerDirect wont accept returns past 30 days so wrote customer support 3 times in 2 weeks with no reply. I took it to Twitter to check my luck there and will also try facebook.

I remember I had a nice Viewsonic CRT and on my research they seemed to do good projector for the money and bit. Good thing I got the squaretrade warranty since I had a gut feeling this was going to be a bad device and here I am. The picture is great but after 3 months hdmi was finicky and now it completely died less than half a year later? Nah. 

Are you saying that Viewsonic would not get back to you? They claim to have a 3-year warranty with express service in the first year. Did you even call them?

post #24 of 24 Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 AM

i think so,.I PROMISE(Once i make a promise I must keep it). It really is a good projector for the price and great specs. I'll make a video of it too for youtube

32.gif

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd5533w 3d Dlp Projector Pjd5533w
Gear in this thread - Pjd5533w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page