Recommend a projector please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the bulb should go at any time in my Mits HD1000U projector (currently at 3800 hours I think) and I'm just going to replace the projector because the color wheel has that loud whine to it. I was trying to find some 720p projector reviews and it looks like everyone has abandoned them! I think they throw a fantastic image and would prefer the brightness potential over 1080p. Here's what is important to me:

1. I'd like to stay under $1k because from my experience, it's always better to replace the projector rather than buy a new bulb (to keep my Mits I would have to get the color wheel fixed and buy a new bulb, way too costly).
2. I use the smooth video plugin for everything on my computer and love it (projector is connected to HTPC). If there is a projector out there with this feature that would be great, but I'll only pay so much for it!
3. I don't want to buy a projector with a history of early bulb explosions. The reason I'm not running my Mits HD1000u until the bulb blows is that I don't want to mess with the Mercury gas and cleanup.
4. I don't mind the RBE so DLP has been my choice so far. I wouldn't mind giving LCD a try though.
5. After listening to this whiny projector, I would like a more quiet projector. LCD appears to have an advantage here.
6. The contrast on my projector leaves something to be desired, so I would like an upgrade in contrast which shouldn't be difficult to achieve.
7. Throw distance is about 12', screen around 95"
8. I'm not interested in 3d that requires active shutter glasses.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM

I settled for the HD20 because the new ones with 3D were mostly short throws. 3D was not a requirement but would have been a plus if it was available in the price range and fits my configuration. I got spoiled by the bulb life on the HD1000U so hopefully the new lasts just as long.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post

I settled for the HD20 because the new ones with 3D were mostly short throws. 3D was not a requirement but would have been a plus if it was available in the price range and fits my configuration. I got spoiled by the bulb life on the HD1000U so hopefully the new lasts just as long.

So far I'm leaning towards the HD33. It looks like there are more complaints of problems with the HD20, and I'm guessing that along with some additional features, maybe the quality control on the HD33 was better?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM

You had me thinking about the HD33. I was reading so much stuff here that I couldn't remember why I didn't go for it. Just did some googling and now I remember, the price tag was the reason smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up deciding on the Mitsubishi HC7900DW! I plan on ordering it tomorrow!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page