Epson 5020 Emotional Purchase Help Needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I went into a Big Box store tonight and upon the advise of some other threads about putting in offers I asked for a discount. They told me they would give me the projector for 2100 if I were to purchase a 4 year geek squad warranty. This would also come with a free bulb replacement. Essentially After taxes they would give me the 5020 for 2600 out the door with bulb replacement and 4 year warranty. There not listed as an authorized dealer but considering they have a great warranty program and free bulb replacement I don't care if Epson would cover the purchase or not but they told me they would anyhow. I want to go purchase it in the morning, but I'm apprehensive about spending so much money and don't want to regret it.

Here are my questions.

Do you think a deal like this would likely ever come around in the next 2 months via Epson Discount?

Is this projector Really worth $1000 more than the 3020? Will it be like night and day difference? I've never owned a true Home Theater Projector. I've owned the 3010 and recently sold it.

How do the black levels compare to Plasma, or LCD? I really want an image that pops and amazes?

Hopefully I get some responses tonight, I'm thinking of going to purchase tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Buy it.
Try it.
Don't like it, take it back within 15 days to get a full refund unless you're a silver reward member then you have 45 days.

Is it better than the 3010/3020, yes.

post #3 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You'll probably end up keeping it. Based on my pricing info you will be getting two years of warranty for free. Not saving a ton but if it suits your room it will be a good purchase.

Tell us more about where it's going, screen size, ambient light or controlled light...3D use or 2D, gaming, etc.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

Tell us more about where it's going, screen size, ambient light or controlled light...3D use or 2D, gaming, etc.

I love playing COD it's really the only game I play and I know it has lag but above al I want my picture to blow me away especially at night when I'm viewing in the dark. It will be used in the daytime a lot as well because it will be theater slash game area. I want to go as large as I can with screen size. I want the move theater feel. The room is 16 x 11 so unfortunately to do this I will need to back the projector up into the other room which is where the ambient light is coming from through windows outside. Currently the opening you see between the rooms where the couch is is not there, but I plan on adding it. With the budget of this projector I might not be able to.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvo View Post

So I went into a Big Box store tonight and upon the advise of some other threads about putting in offers I asked for a discount. They told me they would give me the projector for 2100 if I were to purchase a 4 year geek squad warranty.
You also have the option of returning/cancelling the warranty within the first 30 days (used to be, maybe its 15/45 now?) for a full refund if you don't find the value and they obviously can't charge you more if you cancel the warranty. However, it sounds like it's around 400 for warranty from your numbers, which would be 400 for 2yr warranty and possible bulb replacement which may be worth it.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnEE View Post

You also have the option of returning/cancelling the warranty within the first 30 days (used to be, maybe its 15/45 now?) for a full refund if you don't find the value and they obviously can't charge you more if you cancel the warranty. However, it sounds like it's around 400 for warranty from your numbers, which would be 400 for 2yr warranty and possible bulb replacement which may be worth it.

It is a 4 year warranty and hey maybe I can return the warranty! My question though would be can anyone verify that Epson will honor Warranty with Big Box Store Purchase! Big Box will do 2400 without geek squad warranty out the door. Can we use store names on here I keep saying Big Box and I"m sure everyone knows who I'm talking about?
post #7 of 19 Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
IMO Epson won't warranty if purchased from an unauthorized retailer, if that's what you're asking.

If your budget is restricted to the $2500 price point I don't think you will do much better than the Epson 5020. However, if you want a better 3D experience with less lag at the expense of a bit lighter black levels the BenQ W7000 is worth a look. Should run about the same price.

Check out coderguy's top picks thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks
post #8 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is a 4 year warranty and hey maybe I can return the warranty! My question though would be can anyone verify that Epson will honor Warranty with Big Box Store Purchase! Big Box will do 2400 without geek squad warranty out the door. Can we use store names on here I keep saying Big Box and I"m sure everyone knows who I'm talking about?
Epson will cover the first 2 years and the BB store will cover all costs years 3-4.
You're basically paying for years 3-4 after the Epson warranty expires.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:

They aren't really allowed to set the price based on whether you purchase the BTP or not, of course you should not TELL them you plan to do this and are free to try to negotiate them down on price agreeing to purchase BTP if they go to lower price. You can then always return the BTP within it's terms (you have to read the terms they should have given you a booklet), which I believe is 30 days.... If you do in face take back the BTP, they refund the full cost of the BTP and cannot then mark-up the cost from what you paid on the Projector.... You can cancel the plan by mail or at the store (and probably also just through the phone by calling the BTP number, but it's not listed on the website as an option, so it may just be by mail/fax or at the store to cancel it.)

That said, the extra bulb replacement/2yr warranty may be worth it particularly if you're planning high usage and going through a bulb in years 3-4, so I'm not advising you should or should not return it. But, it's at your option to go take back the BTP if you decide it's not worth it and you'd rather have the >$400+tax that I"m guessing you paid, returning it will not change the price you pay for the projector. Expecting to need to replace the bulb is important in determining the value of the plan, as the bulb runs ~$300 to replace so if you know you'll need a replacement during that time it gives a value for a good portion of the plan price and then it's like the 2yr warranty of the projector itself costs you very little, ASSUMING best buy will send a real OEM bulb not a generic knock-off as a replacement, which is NOT guaranteed anywhere in BBY's BTP terms.

Applicable portion of terms from BBY site:
"Returning Your Plan

To receive a full refund on a plan, you must return your plan within 30 days of purchase. For plans returned after 30 days, refund amounts will be prorated based on the purchase date.

To return a plan you purchased online, call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289).
To return a plan you purchased at a Best Buy store, you can visit your local Best Buy store with your paperwork to receive a pro-rated refund. You can also mail your information to:

AIGWG
Performance Service Plan/Geek Squad BTP
Attn: Customer Care
PO Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440-9312
" (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Product-Protection-Plans/pcmcat204400050043.c?id=pcmcat204400050043)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

IMO Epson won't warranty if purchased from an unauthorized retailer, if that's what you're asking.
Best Buy's an authorized reseller... All the national chain stores are, they get their stock from Epson and Epson authorizes them to sell their products and honors the warranties. Epson excludes purchases from ebay/craigslist or used purchases of course, these aren't purchases from an "authorized reseller" with exception of ebay sales from authorized resellers.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm if u get an OEM Bulb? I purchased projector today with the warranty. With convergence issues some report I'm almost certain to keep the warranty especially with the free bulb.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can anyone confirm if u get an OEM Bulb? I purchased projector today with the warranty. With convergence issues some report I'm almost certain to keep the warranty especially with the free bulb.
If you call Epson in the first 2 years of warranty, you will get an OEM bulb from Epson.
Once the BB warranty kicks in at year 3, then you would have to demand/request an OEM bulb or they may get the cheapest one.
Also, make sure it's an Epson bulb and not an OEM replica. Those usually don't last long.

post #12 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
I want my picture to blow me away especially at night when I'm viewing in the dark.

Considering how bright the current gen of Epsons are (and the screen size implied by your 3D rendering), I think you'll get a picture that will blow you away during the day, too!
post #13 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 12
I had an extended warranty on an "open box" Samsung 60" DLP from BB. Never again! The warranty included one lamp replacement and cleaning.
Near the end of the warranty I requested the lamp be replaced and the cleaning since there was something on the inside of the screen.
They used a counterfeit lamp which lasted 1000 hrs instead of a 3000 hr OEM Phillips. They refused to clean the screen because the object was
an insect and the fine print says that is an "infestation" and is not covered. After I complained about the lamp on their website, they sent me a
$75 gift card. BB=Buyer Beware
td
post #14 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Make sure you get either BB warranty of that Epson will honor the product sold by BB.. I purchased a new unopened 5010 in Dec 2012 from an eBay seller and it turned out that Epson wouldn't honor their warranty with that sale. The 5010 worked superbly for 3 months, and then lamp stopped working. I ordered a new bulb bulb but that didn't solve the problem. I had to send it to an authorized Epson repair center at my own expense to diagnose the problem which turned out to be a blown main circiut board at a cost of $1200+ to fix. I'm not a happy camper. I still love the projector, just dissatified with Epson's warranty policy.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadem View Post

Make sure you get either BB warranty of that Epson will honor the product sold by BB.. I purchased a new unopened 5010 in Dec 2012 from an eBay seller and it turned out that Epson wouldn't honor their warranty with that sale. The 5010 worked superbly for 3 months, and then lamp stopped working. I ordered a new bulb bulb but that didn't solve the problem. I had to send it to an authorized Epson repair center at my own expense to diagnose the problem which turned out to be a blown main circiut board at a cost of $1200+ to fix. I'm not a happy camper. I still love the projector, just dissatified with Epson's warranty policy.

Man, that's terrible. Sorry for your pain but BB IS an authorized retailer and Epson WILL honor the warranty for products purchased there.

Ed
post #16 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadem View Post

Why would you expect Epson to warrant a purchase of a possibly used/broken/refurbished/improperly handled or stored product from some unknown source? Guess you live and learn... I know I make my own share of dumb mistakes.

If the 2yr warranty would apply to ebay sales, you could sell your projector to someone after 2 years, then they could claim the warranty over the next 2 years, then they sell and the next buyer... etc... warranty would never end :P
post #17 of 19 Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Best Buy better give me an OEM. I'll go nutso on them if they don't. I know they won't but I'm going to complain until something happens. I suppose maybe a half life bulb and 2 extra years of warranty maybe worth 400 considering I could be shelling out 1200 3 years from now to fix a circuit board.

Does Epson always for sure provide an extra bulb during warranty period? What if u call in and nothings really wrong with your bulb? Is it an unspoke rule of theres?
post #18 of 19 Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Best Buy better give me an OEM. I'll go nutso on them if they don't. I know they won't but I'm going to complain until something happens. I suppose maybe a half life bulb and 2 extra years of warranty maybe worth 400 considering I could be shelling out 1200 3 years from now to fix a circuit board.

Does Epson always for sure provide an extra bulb during warranty period? What if u call in and nothings really wrong with your bulb? Is it an unspoke rule of theres?
The official warranty for a bulb is 90 days but if it blows out within the 2 years, they will replace it.
Just don't expect to call them at 23 months or 2000 hours and say, "my bulb is dim" and expect them to replace it.
The bulb must fail or the projector must throw an indication(LED flashing sequence) that the bulb is faulty.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Epson will provide multiple bulbs if necessary during the warranty period. When they send you a new bulb, it has a prepaid shipping label, you have to return the prior bulb.... They will only provide one if your bulb has blown, you can't just call in and say you want an extra bulb to have on hand.....
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page