Thinking of making the jump to a projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Let me start off by saying I do not have a dedicated HT room as of right now. I do have a room quite capable of getting very dark. White walls...Living room has a half wall at the back that opens up to the kitchen so that makes the room less than ideal acoustically(but my speakers still please me smile.gif ) Viewing distance will be about 14.5 feet away. Here's what I'm looking at - Optoma HD33, BenQ W1070, Epson 3010.

So a couple of minor details - My mother in law is staying with us for a while and as such her big ass bookshelves came with her and are in the living room. They are so big that they take up about 3.5 feet w of wall space each. Combined with my P363 towers that leaves about a 6 foot viewing area. (These are very rough numbers as my tape measurer is missing. Having a 2 year old leads to many lost items.) So...I have a 6 foot width viewing angle and some P363 towers that stand about 3.5 feet tall on a wall roughly 9 feet high. So my question - Can I hang a screen in front of my towers if it is not an acoustically treated screen? If not, with the 14 foot viewing distance will it work having the image thrown 4 feet off the ground with the other measurements given? Also, how bad would it look being projected onto a white wall, sans screen? I can get a 92 inch screen and just upgrade down the road to a bigger one when we have more wall space I suppose.

Concerning pricing: The HD 33 is roughly 1370 on average. I can get the BenQ for 1320 with a 92 inch fixed screen from Visual Apex. I can get the Epson 3010 for 1272 with a 92 inch screen. Both packages from VA come with mounts, dust covers, calibration discs, and HDMI cables.

So...92 inch screen and one of those projectors or projecting onto a bare white wall and the Optoma HD33? (The optoma plus screen cost is out of the price range unless I buy a refurbished one.) I guess I could also get a 60 or 65 inch for around 1500 as well but...Yeah. A projector would be so awesome. It will be mostly movies with some gaming. 3D would be pretty cool to have.

Edit: Is there much difference between a pull down screen and a fixed? My wife would prefer the pull down I'm sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Lose the mil and get a bigger screen.wink.gif

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #3 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Lose the mil and get a bigger screen.wink.gif

Lol...Not an option :P Unfortunately...

No one else has any input? :P

post #4 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I used a bare white wall and the picture looked pretty much the same as it does now on my fixed frame. Only difference is my fixed frame has a black border which visually enhances the room and makes the PQ look a little better. With the wall you had room to play, make the image bigger or smaller and the aim didn't need to be exact. With the screen I have to spend time making sure the image is projected in a precise spot so that the border fills correctly. I say start with the white wall, and try out a pull down frame when you have some money to spare. I love my fixed frame, but it is in a dedicated media room.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
It depends on his paint type and texture and what not, it can look similar except for the border as you noted, which will cause a perceived loss in contrast. I would definitely start with the white wall though for other reasons (to get a feel for how big of a screen you like before you buy a permanent screen).

Out of those three projectors the OP listed, I think most agree the Benq w1070 is the better one.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 14 Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

I may just go with the 1070 then. The more I dig into the Optoma HD 33, the more the 1070 seems like the better choice. I had no idea projectors gave 1080p 3D in each eye. I thought the resolution was cut in half like it was with LEDs.

Speaking of which, I've seen some people say 2D image quality is *better* with a projector than an LED or plasma but I've also heard the opposite. Is it only on the more expensive models or is it a matter of personal preference and what kind of image someone is going for? I also understand there's frame interpolation...Which I'm guessing is somewhat like true motion 120hz on LEDs?

Will hanging a n acoustically untreated screen in front of my speakers make a noticeable difference? I just realized I'm not limited to wear I hang the screen. It doesn't need to be right against the back wall.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to keep bumping my thread but I'd rather not make a new topic...Anyone have any input on my last post?

Also, will the 1070 be good enough for a dedicated HT room or will I need a new projector by then? I may just get the 1080st as there seems to be a few nicer things said about that one. So many questions and it's down to decision making time frown.gif.

post #8 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Do you have a electronic center near you called Mircro Center ?

I bought a 100 inch screen from them last year for $ 65.

It's a Inland ProHT manual screen.

1.2 gain.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately not. We have Fry's and a ton of best buys.

A guy on craigslist is selling a Mitsubishi HC7800 for 975 with 4 pairs of 3d glasses and only 55 hours...So he says. I know its a bit older but its gotten pretty solid reviews. Any thoughts?

post #10 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Liability is all on you for used stuff. The sellers never see it that way unfortunately. You can get a new 7800 for 1300 with a warranty. No way if pay 1000 for no warranty at all.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

True. I'm stalling on my purchase. I can get an awesome bundle from visual apex bit the screen is an electric pulldown without tension. Fixed frame won't work and the tensioned are out if my budget. So 1389 gets me a Ben 1070, 106 inch 1.1 gain screen ceiling mount, some fancy remote for out of the way components. But...Fry's has a 60 inch plasma LG 3d TV for 1000. So I guess I'm just torn. The projector would really be used only for movies . The TV would be an all encompassing device. I love how pq is on the big screen and plasmas and LEDs. The projector would give me that immersion but I don't want to replace my screen in a couple of years due to waves. I also don't want to buy a 60 inch TV and have 4k be in the 1200-1500 range in the next two years because there is no way my wife would go for another upgrade in that time frame. Is a 60 inch TV even that big? Never seem em when they aren't lined up with other TVs.

Anyways sorry to keep bumping my own thread. I'm impatient and want to make my decision and I'm afraid I need as much advice as I can get on this one.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

And this is what I get for waiting...Visual Apex just raised their prices today by a hundred or so dollars on some of their bundles. Oh well. It's a sign. I should use this money to pay off a credit card or something.

post #13 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

And this is what I get for waiting...Visual Apex just raised their prices today by a hundred or so dollars on some of their bundles. Oh well. It's a sign. I should use this money to pay off a credit card or something.

DING DING DING DING DING! 0 debt is better than a 120" image any day!
post #14 of 14 Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

DING DING DING DING DING! 0 debt is better than a 120" image any day!

Totally right. I'm just tired of a 42 inch display from 12 feet away.

First world problems right here!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page