Optoma HD66: Lamp Fail status after dmd replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everybody, I followed a thread on here to get a new DMD chip after I had about 30% failed pixels. This is my first time ever taking a projector apart to fix a DMD chip issue, and this is also my first home theater projector. Basically, here's what happened:

- Removed projector from ceiling mount
- Let cool for an hour
- Removed the lamp and set it aside where it was never touched. (about 900 hours on the lamp)
- disassembled the projector more, unscrewed the logic board to lift it off the DMD chip, then pulled the Lens/DMD/color wheel assembly.
- Removed and replaced the DMD chip with this one: 1280 6138B 6038B DMD chip 6039B Optoma PRO360W HD600X Solve White Pixel FROM USA
-Applied a new thermal pad. I forget the brand of the pad but I use it to couple the graphics cards in my computer to their copper blocks, and they produce 188w of heat, so I think it would be sufficient here. I tried thermal paste but there is a gap between the heat sink and the back of the DMD chip so the paste wouldn't work
-Reassembled everything, replaced the bulb, I turned it on, and the Power light flashes orange, and the lamp light is solid red. Consulting the manual, it seems like lamp failure.

I also repeated the process with he original DMD chip, same results.

So did I screw up my lamp? or do you think there's something I could've missed in the disassembly/reassembly. Is there anything I could visually look for to see if the lamp has failed? The filament seems to be in 1 piece.

EDIT: Also, if it helps, I'm reading infinite ohms across the bulbs prongs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Regarding trying to read the lamp. there are no filaments INSIDE the lamp so a meter test is useless. The only VISUAL indications that the lamp has failed would be if it popped, otherwise, there is NO way to tell if a lamp is good or not other than trying it in the projector.

You had to have missed something when you reassembled it.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I agree. You missed a connector or something when you put it back together. The lamp is an arc lamp. Unless you drop it, you can't break it. NO filament.

Welcome to the darkside.....
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick info! I'll be pulling it back apart shortly, in hopes to find something I missed. I know the lamp circuit is on the opposite side of the lens assembly, so I don't think I touched it, but here's hoping I missed something
Old 04-06-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post

Thanks for the quick info! I'll be pulling it back apart shortly, in hopes to find something I missed. I know the lamp circuit is on the opposite side of the lens assembly, so I don't think I touched it, but here's hoping I missed something

The lamp circuit STILL has to be plugged back into the main board.... which you removed to replace the DMD.. wink.gif

Welcome to the darkside.....