What options to mount a projector in center of room when you cannot make holes in ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was all excited to buy an Epson 8350 projector. Then, I talked to our landlord on site who said we can't drill holes in the ceiling (because it's a textured ceiling and that's hard to repair). The only case is if it is a hook or something others could use in the future. It is a problem because the best place to mount is dead center in the main living room/dining room...

First I was eek.gif and then I was more rolleyes.gif and now I'm mad.gif and frown.gif

Has anyone else found creative solutions to this problem? My current thought is to try to find a projector mount with 3 screws (which doesn't smash the ceiling texturing - might require custom spacers on the screws?) so I can just add hooks into the screw holes when we move out. This might work?

Help me AVS Forum, you're my only hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

I was all excited to buy an Epson 8350 projector. Then, I talked to our landlord on site who said we can't drill holes in the ceiling (because it's a textured ceiling and that's hard to repair). The only case is if it is a hook or something others could use in the future. It is a problem because the best place to mount is dead center in the main living room/dining room...

First I was eek.gif and then I was more rolleyes.gif and now I'm mad.gif and frown.gif

Has anyone else found creative solutions to this problem? My current thought is to try to find a projector mount with 3 screws (which doesn't smash the ceiling texturing - might require custom spacers on the screws?) so I can just add hooks into the screw holes when we move out. This might work?

Help me AVS Forum, you're my only hope.

Put your projector on a tripod and move it out the way when not in use. Remember you have to run signal cable(s) and power cord to any ceiling mounted projector and if it is going to be dead center on your living room ceiling it has all the makings of a butt-ugly installation.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

That's not a bad idea, not really going to be ideal for anyone sitting behind it but it does give some of this flexibility.

Not a huge fan of moving the projector around that much though, it can't be good for it.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not a bad idea, not really going to be ideal for anyone sitting behind it but it does give some of this flexibility.

Not a huge fan of moving the projector around that much though, it can't be good for it.

Check out the PYLE-PRO PSTND2 - 6.5 ft. Tripod Speaker Stand at Amazon.com.

Look at the 7 images for some creative ways of positioning the projector and stand. You can put it near a wall to avoid moving it.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I think that might be my best option, as much as I would prefer not moving it around constantly.

Do they make plates like that to easily attach? or is that going to be a DIY project (you can get the attachment piece to the stand easily)?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
How about a simple table.. I do it every night.. not ideal but has worked for almost 4 years, up and down every night.. 5 minutes...eek.gif

Projector set up in front of the original portable screen..

Masked 120" screen that is to big for the room but bigger than the portable

Next upgrade will be a bigger house! biggrin.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I think that might be my best option, as much as I would prefer not moving it around constantly.

Do they make plates like that to easily attach? or is that going to be a DIY project (you can get the attachment piece to the stand easily)?

They sell a mounting plate for the tripod stand - Odyssey LATSA1 Speaker Followspot Adaptor For Tripods. You would put a platform of your choice on the mounting plate.

There is also the Quiklok BS300 Quiklok BS300 Studio Monitor Speaker Stand that departs from the three-legged tripod look.

As 'airscapes' has pointed out with his example there are any number of ways to get around not using a ceiling mount with the Epson 8350. You can use wall mounts and the top of book shelves or shelving units where the projector would hardly be noticed. You could even try a audio or media tower that is tall enough to allow the projector to shoot over your head while seated. The added benefit is that will also hold your audio and video gear.

Think about your room size, seating and where the screen will be. Good luck.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page